Disney to buy 21st Century Fox for $52.4 billion

IMG_5979.JPG

In what appears to be a huge power play for Disney, it seems that they'll be buying out the 21st Century Fox division. The media giant is attempting to bolster its repertoire in order to offer more content when the company gets its own streaming service, to compete with Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. Disney now owns the rights to certain properties like The Simpsons, Family Guy, Deadpool, Modern Family, Sky TV, X-Men, and the one Star Wars movie that Disney didn't already have in its arsenal; the first Star Wars movie. They'll also get access to Fox's 30% shares of streaming service Hulu, which means coupled with the shares that Disney already owned, they now have 60% stake in Hulu, with the remaining 40% tied to Comcast and Time Warner. While Fox's Rupert Murdoch and Disney's Bob Iger both endorse the deal, it won't be signed and sealed until it passes through the US Government. This does not spell the end for Fox, however, as they will be keeping parts of their empire, such as Fox Sports 1+2, Fox News, and Fox Business Network.

Though it's more speculation than anything, perhaps due to having Disney own some of these franchises, we might see new games created with these IPs, or maybe even remasters of older games, as Disney is no newcomer to allowing their properties to be involved in some beloved games.

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But Disney is so... Amazing
Disney makes great movies, and I am not trying to rag on the people who work in the animation department, but Disney owns ABC, ESPN, Marvel... And they have distribution rights to all sorts of other media like Studio Ghibli. Disney and their lobbyists are one of the main reasons copyright around the world is at the disgusting length of life plus 70 years. As if you need to copyright a work for 100+ years so poor poor artists can make a dime! Disney is a media titan and they already control so much. I don't want them to become the Standard Oil of media.

Last edited by Deboog,
Reactions: Deleted User

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Disney makes great movies, and I am not trying to rag on the people who work in the animation department, but Disney owns ABC, ESPN, Marvel... And they have distribution rights to all sorts of other media like Studio Ghibli. Disney and their lobbyists are one of the main reasons copyright around the world is at the disgusting length of life plus 70 years. As if you need to copyright a work for 100+ years so poor poor artists can make a dime! Disney is a media titan and they already control so much. I don't want them to become the Standard Oil of media.
Fair points. I don't doubt you, but Disney was just such a large part of my growing up that it's hard to see them as a business Titan :rofl:. I guess you're right though.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just thinking what would happen if Disney bought a game publisher/developer, they're buying everything, I can see them considering more video game stuff. So, SEGA and Capcom spring to mind. Maybe American based publishers/developers are more realistic as purchasing opportunities. Outside of video games, maybe buy legendary production companies out from certain parent corporations. Paramount from Viacom, Universal out from Comcast, scary.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Fair points. I don't doubt you, but Disney was just such a large part of my growing up that it's hard to see them as a business Titan :rofl:. I guess you're right though.
They've been a huge corporation for a long time, but never in a million years did I think they'd be "own Marvel and Star Wars" big. And they had both of those before this acquisition already, although not all of the Marvel properties.

I hope they don't micromanage too much with the more "adult" entertainment like Family Guy and Deadpool. And FFS renew The Orville for another thousand seasons.

Last edited by Xzi,

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, Disney is a pig. They are so greedy and wants more and more money. No wonder, I lived in Florida for 9 years and Disney raised the cost for parking in Disney World and the food in Disney are horrible. Unhealthy food and very expensive! I am glad that I dont lived in Florida anymore. I wish those people just stop going Disney World because without them.. Disney World will lead to bankrupting because Disney is hurting us and our money!

Last edited by spotanjo3,
D

Deleted User

And that's where they get you. Disney is a part of your childhood, how could they ever be part of something morally dubious?
Even as something of a Kingdom Hearts fan, I can say with no uncertainty that I don't entirely trust Disney.

I was just thinking what would happen if Disney bought a game publisher/developer, they're buying everything, I can see them considering more video game stuff. So, SEGA and Capcom spring to mind. Maybe American based publishers/developers are more realistic as purchasing opportunities. Outside of video games, maybe buy legendary production companies out from certain parent corporations. Paramount from Viacom, Universal out from Comcast, scary.
Odd. I was just mulling over the prospect of Disney buying both SEGA and Capcom. There springs the idea that maybe Disney could knock Sonic Team into shape and make more good Sonic games, but I'm not sure. Capcom seems to be treating its IPs a bit better, of late.

matpower

Messenger from Zero
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
There is no reason for them to buy a game company, they had the opportunity to do so many times yet they prefer to enter in a partnership instead, back then with Capcom or SEGA, nowadays with Square Enix.
There is a possibility for them to do so, but I find it unlikely unless video games get as big as TV/movies.

jastolze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Simpsons has been shit since season 11 though, how can it get any worse than it already is?

Disney can fuck a cactus.
While I think Disney buying 21st is a terrible idea, the Simpson's is STILL arguably one of the funniest shows on (To me, at least). After nearly 30 seasons, anything is bound to become less funny, but they're still incredibly creative. The 600th episode that was released within the last year was one of the funniest ones ever. I personally didn't like anything pre-1990. It's just based upon what people find funny and what other's find repetitive. Does the current Simpson's compare to Rick and Morty? Not really. Just because there are funnier and more popular shows out doesn't make Simpson's NOT funny. Besides, Simpson's has literally covered pretty much everything - from Micheal Jackson, allt the way to ours truly, Trump.

nashismo

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Interesting. Most of the old Star Wars fans, old fans, that I know, loved Episode 7, and thought Rogue One was pretty cool.

Funny when Mark Hamill himself shits on this new movies, and he is a fan himself and an old fan. But in all due honesty with you, I will tell you the truth, in my country, old fans simply don't care about these new movies, is like they don't even know they exist. Is like music, when music is good, it can be heard even in the Himalayas, when the music is bad, is not known by the small countries. To give you an example of music, 2 years ago Lionel Richie came to my country Chile. People were enjoying his show, loving his music, and suddenly in one of his songs he started dancing, he said let's dance like Shakira, people were meh, and then when he said Beyonce, people started booing a bit, no magic and the moment was weird.

People went to hear good music, Lionel Richie to us is 1000 times better than Shakira or Beyonce, because in the 80's when there was no cable, no sattelite, no nothing, music spread through word of mouth and radio. And only GOOD music filtered in and reached people!

What I mean by all this, is that now, there is a FAKE sense of success and something being "good" is not always "actually good" as the Internet and the media is so strong that they can brainwash you to death until you must admit like a mindless sheep that you like it. It is fascinating to see actors/singers/etc when they go to a small country, if they are really good (because their music is good or acting is great) they will be received with love and admiration, but the funny thing is when some people come here like they are the greatest, but when in here people and media don't even care about them! Hahaha, it is because they were "convinced" by their counter parts that they are famous, but they are not, because they are trash, wether their music or acting is trash. And in a small country, this is revealed, it can be funny let me tell you, these people's egos falling to the ground is a must watch :rofl2:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Gonna love it when the next update blocks them