BusyBiscuit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.ign.com
XP
Country
So, I worked my ass of to get a 256gb sd card for my 3ds. In my old 3ds card, I have all sorts of things downloaded on it. Games and Mods alike. Anyways, I moved all the old stuff to the new SD card but whenever I put in the SD card, it only shows a black screen and the orange light in the bottom of the 3ds never lights up. I tried formatting the 3ds but nothing has worked. Is it just that the SD card is to big or is something like Luma not allowing me to do this?

Last edited by BusyBiscuit,

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
So, I worked my ass of to get a 256gb sd card for my 3ds. In my old 3ds card, I have all sorts of things downloaded on it. Games and Mods alike. Anyways, I moved all the old stuff to the new SD card but whenever I put in the SD card, it only shows a black screen and the orange light in the bottom of the 3ds never lights up. I tried formatting the 3ds but nothing has worked. Is it just that the SD card is to big or is something like Luma not allowing me to do this?
You need to format it fat32 64k cluster

Reactions: TankedThomas

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before formatting your new sd card remember to copy all your files on your pc first. It would be a pain if you lose all your stuff.

Also, don't get nervous if your stuff loads slower than they did on your old sd card. The bigger the size of the sd card, the slower the 3ds loads the stuff on it.

efflucas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Remember to keep in mind 300 item home menu limit :)
Just out of curiosity, what would happen' if I'd install a CIA? I Could understand if the eShop would not allow me to download more stuff but a CIA. Or could you just put some stuff in some folder and then eShop would let you download more stuff?

HugaTheFox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just out of curiosity, what would happen' if I'd install a CIA? I Could understand if the eShop would not allow me to download more stuff but a CIA. Or could you just put some stuff in some folder and then eShop would let you download more stuff?
Nope. 300 is the max as icons. Titles will still be installed tho. So FBI or similar can launch it.

Last edited by HugaTheFox,
Reactions: GilgameshArcher

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have 300 games, and install a new .cia, one icon will be replaced with the cia installed. You can bypass this by using fbi to launch titles

mike a

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think with a card that size the 3ds will play the games on it really slowly, and the load times would suck

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I swear I read on here once that 128 was too slow, but ok, if you say so then
I've heard some people having issues based on cluster size, but never SD size.

@OP Also I personally suggest once you format the card to FAT32, to use emuNAND9 afterwards. Formatting with emuNAND9 (using without emuNAND option) will properly format the SD card for the best cluster size for the 3DS.

jmhannz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have about 50 games installed 128gb card 64 cluster been using for a month no issues here. do i have lots of free space? hell yeah, will i ever use it? prob not.

Trophies
XP
Country
France
64 GB is only slow when booting up the 3DS, it can take up to 15 seconds (at least for me). But there is barely a difference in all the rest (ie no difference).

BusyBiscuit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.ign.com
XP
Country
I use a 256gb sd, after I upgraded for my 64gb one, however to me it was a waste of money because I barely even filled 90gb, what do you plan on using the rest for? xD

I'm pretty sure I can fill it up a little more than 90gb ( at least I hope). I haven't actually gotten the SD card working, for some reason it doesn't allow me to download stuff... But in a world where I did download the 100-300 virtual console games, I'm not really sure what else I would put in it. PC games? I'm not really sure.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I have seen the new 52 and dcau animated movies I think they take every opportunity to say his name "Dick", and they say it more often than should have been necessary
  • ShdwTakashi @ ShdwTakashi:
    Good morning!
  • ShdwTakashi @ ShdwTakashi:
    pineapple belong on pizza? The answer is yes until proven otherwise
  • StatusN @ StatusN:
    hi, i need help with unbanning my 3ds, can somebody show me a link to a seed that still works and isnt yet banned, mine got banned yesterday
  • A @ anotherthing:
    The Nintendo servers are going down in 9 days anyway.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @StatusN, welcome
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey qwerty look at that you ain't the youngest here anymore
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    Had a question on 3ds
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    will one still be able to transfer pokemon from the ds 3ds games to Switch
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Supposedly Bank isn't going down.
  • StatusN @ StatusN:
    i know they are @anotherthing but i modded m y 3ds last month and i installed pretendo but as my 3ds got banned i need a friend seed to unblock my 3ds
  • A @ anotherthing:
    You got banned from Pretendo?
  • StatusN @ StatusN:
    online ban
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @anotherthing I think Nintendo should have just re released all pokemon games on the switch
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    let you transfer it all
  • StatusN @ StatusN:
    bank got shutdown in april last year
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, yea the only game they rereleased are the game boy and games boy color ones (remakes don't count)
  • StatusN @ StatusN:
    does anyone have a friend seed link to a seed that isnt already banned and is new, if anyone does then thanks
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @Xdqwerty I refuse to get Nintendo Switch online
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    until they add pokemon mainline games
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could very easily do so
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i meant that they got rereleased in virtual console in 3ds
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @Xdqwerty why cant they do so for the switch :sad:
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.
    A @ anotherthing: Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.