DO NOT SIMPLY COPY AN ENTIRE ARTICLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
I miss the good old days when you could just post a news article from somewhere else in order to start a conversation about it, rather than having to re-write what has already been written or risk facing the wrath of an over-eager-"look-at-me-I-have-a-rank" reporter.

This isn't reddit.
You're not God.

Reactions: 1 person

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
D

Deleted_171835

Please summarize in your own words, the essence of the news you are reporting. Please read the stickies in this forum for a guide. Simply copying the entire source article verbatim is lazy, and tantamount to plagiarism.

]I expect users to take a few minutes to write something in their own words.[/b] most of the internet is news which has been mirrored from other sources. let us try to act more professional than the next site by writing our own descriptions, and then link back to source posts for "more information."

That means not just copying a part of a source and pasting it. Which is what you have done.

The entire point of the new rule is to encourage small excerpts, opposed to large chunks or the entire article.

Three sentences out of 5 paragraphs is a small excerpt.
Four paragraphs out of 4.5 paragraphs is not a small excerpt.

Obviously when posting news it's good that some of the important info is posted directly, but people kept copying way, way too much.

That was a small excerpt. Rewriting what Andriasang said would have been completely pointless as they already said it in a concise matter.

All you're doing is preventing legitimate discussion. If I had copied and pasted the whole article, then sure lock it. There are so many differing opinions. In fact after speaking with Urza (the one who created the rule) in the shoutbox, he seems to be under the impression that this only applies to full copy-pastes of the article. Excerpts are fine.

Oh and Guild, your vendetta against me is just childish (all because I posted a thread criticizing Sony's decisions, http://gbatemp.net/t...d-fall-of-sony/). :rofl:

I'm sure you haven't noticed this thread which was completely copy-pasted.
http://gbatemp.net/t...-nexus-devices/

But I don't even think that should be locked. It has garnered a lot of posts and locking that just prevents discussion.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
You're not God.

And you're not the staff. Don't tell me how to do my job, I made a thread in the news staff forum so they can.
Well, as far as I can see, ever since you were 'promoted' to reporter about 100% more threads are being locked than were being before, and for some reason what we are allowed to post is becoming more and more restricted.

I'm telling you guys, this guy's name fits what the USN forum is turning into perfectly.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That's a statement directly from Google, not an article elsewhere.

Much like why you're Playstation All-Stars thread wasn't locked for plagiarism, it was a direct statement from SuperBot.

If I'm wrong regarding that article then someone please point it out and I'll lock it.

D

Deleted_171835

That's a statement directly from Google, not an article elsewhere.

Much like why you're Playstation All-Stars thread wasn't locked for plagiarism, it was a direct statement from SuperBot.

If I'm wrong regarding that article then someone please point it out and I'll lock it.
That was a statement directly from Andriasang hor hor without another source.

Good job on ignoring the rest of my post, Top Staff.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're not God.

And you're not the staff. Don't tell me how to do my job, I made a thread in the news staff forum so they can.
Well, as far as I can see, ever since you were 'promoted' to reporter about 100% more threads are being locked than were being before, and for some reason what we are allowed to post is becoming more and more restricted.

I'm telling you guys, this guy's name fits what the USN forum is turning into perfectly.

Because GBAtemp is clearly submitting to the authoritarian will of Big Brother. Of course.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I pretty sure the word plagiarism is set in stone specially in this changing times. That fact that we are even discussing (not just here,but in rl) adds to that fact. This place isn't an academic paper, it just a random site to discuss gaming stuff and little other bits.We can't get a discussion going because threads close too fast.

I seen other threads do the same, snip just part of the article, but I just haven't said anything.
I'm trying to change my ways, but doesn't mean I agree. I didn't know how posting a snip of the article,but giving your thoughts
out or changing the words afterwords changes the fact that he snip part of the article. I also didn't understand why just snipping
important part of the article, forcing people to click the link for more details isn't acceptable.

Soulx just post "plagiarized" material in this thread, let's shut this thread down.

Link
This is ok since he gave his input afterwards? It not in his own words.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
This is what I don't understand about this new rule:

You could just write a load of crap and link to the article. People would ignore what you have written and go direct to the source to read it there (I do this anyway, even with copied posts).
What's the difference with this to just copying and pasting the article in the first place?

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is what I don't understand about this new rule:

You could just write a load of crap and link to the article. People would ignore what you have written and go direct to the source to read it there (I do this anyway, even with copied posts).
What's the difference with this to just copying and pasting the article in the first place?
If you do that anyway, then why are you fighting this so much?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two points.
  1. This doesn't concern any of you. How I do my job is up to me and the rest of the staff. I've stated multiple times that I've submitted this issue to the staff so they can find a solution. I'm not being authoritarian. I'm not being Big Brother. I'm not abusing my power. I simply am doing what I believe my job entitles and I have taken the time and effort to see if I'm doing it right.
  2. I find it funny that in the time and effort it took to argue this point that anyone opposing my point could have taken the same news article and rewritten it appropriately to guidelines. I post a fair amount of news. It takes me a couple of minutes to do. It's not that hard. You're obviously well spoken people, you're not illiterate baboons who have issues reading a keyboard, any one of you could have taken that article, did as I said, and I would have been giving you a thumbs up or a Top Gun high five for it. I just find it funny that people here are fighting for their right to be lazy in their news submissions. Don't want to be lazy? Don't submit news. I have 10 RSS feeds that grab most news. If you miss something important, I (or someone who does post news correctly) will pick it up.

I close four threads for plagiarism across two pages of news and that's 100%? I think you need to redo your calculations.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*snip
Also, the person who rewrote it can rather unintentionally or intentionally bring their bias and/or misunderstanding about the source.

edit: Misread his post.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, the person who rewrote it can rather unintentionally or intentionally bring there bias and/or misunderstanding about the source.

One of the first rules of journalism is to keep your bias out of it. I try to do that on all my news posts, with some exceptions when its comical or a widely held belief.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

USN is becoming a classless, social order based on the principle of common ownership of the means of production?

Reactions: 3 people

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Two points.
  1. This doesn't concern any of you. How I do my job is up to me and the rest of the staff. I've stated multiple times that I've submitted this issue to the staff so they can find a solution. I'm not being authoritarian. I'm not being Big Brother. I'm not abusing my power. I simply am doing what I believe my job entitles and I have taken the time and effort to see if I'm doing it right.
  2. I find it funny that in the time and effort it took to argue this point that anyone opposing my point could have taken the same news article and rewritten it appropriately to guidelines. I post a fair amount of news. It takes me a couple of minutes to do. It's not that hard. You're obviously well spoken people, you're not illiterate baboons who have issues reading a keyboard, any one of you could have taken that article, did as I said, and I would have been giving you a thumbs up or a Top Gun high five for it. I just find it funny that people here are fighting for their right to be lazy in their news submissions. Don't want to be lazy? Don't submit news. I have 10 RSS feeds that grab most news. If you miss something important, I (or someone who does post news correctly) will pick it up.

I close four threads for plagiarism across two pages of news and that's 100%? I think you need to redo your calculations.
Remember that last thread you closed about Metroid and Starfox? Your clever little rules prompted the OP to cut out the introductory paragraph of the article, reducing the coherency of the article. Interestingly enough, that cut off quality discussion and the news was never reposted. So worth it, right. I've also seen people "rewrite" articles but go on to include details that were not in the original article. These rules are causing potential discussion to be silenced and article quality to be reduced.

Has GBAtemp been contacted by IGN or some such for sourcing them inappropriately? Why the sudden change in policies?
Also this is a christian website and we don't support copyright infringement at all no plagarism or warez mmkay?

Reactions: 2 people

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm kind of sick of hearing about this tbh, As people have said before it's not classed as plagiarism if you mention the author of the quote and don't make a profit off it. It seems to me like there is bullying going on towards certain members and the people that are doing it are getting away with it, I've seen people who are supposed to be staff ripping into "kids" and swearing at them because they have a problem with their newspost, Is this what this site is turning into? Maybe if people spoke to everyone nicely it would get things done in a quicker and more civilised way.

I just have one thing to ask has this site went 100% fully legit or not? Because It seems to me that people have double standards on here these days.

Reactions: 5 people

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Maybe if people spoke to everyone nicely it would get things done in a quicker and more civilised way.

I just have one thing to ask has this site went 100% fully legit or not? Because It seems to me that people have double standards on here these days.
Maybe if people were nice to each other we wouldn't have war.

What do you mean by 100% fully legit? Ever since GBATemp stopped hosting illegal files it's been "legit".

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Pretty much since we have introduced this new rule everyone has been co-operative. It took a while for some people to get it, but slowly the standards in USN have risen significantly which has made USN a better place.

There is only one person who has been a complete dick about this rule, and that is soulx.

He has repeatedly chosen to ignore the plagiarism rule, has continued to post USN threads with a substantial amount of copied content from the source and not a single original word posted from himself.

He has had about a dozen threads locked up to this point, and I am tired of locking them. And if I ever have to lock another you will be gone from here for a good while.

Anyway I am going to close this thread for now, because this matter is not up for debate and no further discussion is needed. This is as straightforward a rule as you could possibly have and easy to comply with. If you don't like this rule and cannot adhere to it then don't post news, it's as simple as that.

And also I don't know why you are all focusing on Guild, this was a rule introduced by mthrnite and largely enforced by me. If you have an issue with Guild PM him about it, any more public bitching directed at him will be dealt with by me personally.

And that's that.

Reactions: 7 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Proxy sites, not very effective.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    if ur on a Chromebook and cant change jack about the laptop that's what I gotta use
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    One of the sites that weren't blocked on the school's network was some file uploading sites. I would upload some games, write down the URL and take it to school one day.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I did it when the teachers werent looking ofc. I even managed to take in a USB stick that wasn't allowed.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: a