• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Do you Believe Russia Hacked the US election, Round 2

ThisIsDaAccount

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys! As I'm sure you guys remember, last January we discussed the government allegations that Russian hackers had interfered in the 2017 US election that put Trump in the Oval Office. In case you missed that, you can find it here. There was a poll at the top of the discussion, and most Tempers (myself included) indicated in it that they found the evidence offered by the US government to not be enough.

Well, the most concrete explanation yet has come out. In this article, TheIntercept claims to have come into ownership of an NSA document outlining a Russian government assault on a vendor of US voting services. It alleges that the cyber attack is known to have come from the Russian government, and not from free spirited hackers as suggested by Russian President Vladmir Putin.

I think it is also worth noting that an arrest has been made relating to the leaking of classified information to a "News Outlet". TheIntercept was not specifically named, but the way the affidavit of the arrest describes the News Outlet contacting the NSA about the story beforehand does line up with how the article describes the NSA was contacted by them.

In light of this, what do you now think about the Russian hacking allegations?

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't exactly call it "hacking the election", since it was just digging up dirt on one of the candidates. While it may have affected the results somewhat, it's only because some voters saw Hillary's true character. And because people like Trump for some reason.

ThisIsDaAccount

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't exactly call it "hacking the election", since it was just digging up dirt on one of the candidates. While it may have affected the results somewhat, it's only because some voters saw Hillary's true character. And because people like Trump for some reason.
Agreed, but this article isn't about the DNC email leaks at all, it's about the Russians targeting a vendor of electronic voting services.

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do we really need two threads for the exact same freaking topic? Just go post the recent news over on the original thread. Probably more people will see it there than here as there are quite a few people still watching the original thread.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: stick a decal on it