Do you still listen to music even if the artist was guilty/accused of something bad.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I separate the Art from the Artist.

It may affect me slightly though if it's someone I'm not a fan of already. Like the band Lostprophets. I liked one of their songs, but never really listened to much more. After the conviction of the singer, I never really felt like checking their other stuff out.

Edit:

His "Trapped in the closet" videos are AMAZING though. It's comedy gold!
Thats exactly why I listen to R Kelly. His make me wanna get you pregnant song is comedy.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It does depend on the offense.

For example, it's difficult to listen to Lostprophets anymore after Ian Watkins was found guilty of being a serial child and baby rapist. Even the rest of the band completely disowned Lostprophets and formed a new band. I saw Lostprophets live as a teenager so that whole thing was painful. And people who still vehemently listen to Gary Glitter? It says a lot about how seriously they take that situation.

It may seem like we shouldn't associate the music with what the people actually did, but the reality is that things don't exist in a vacuum where we can pick and choose what to recognise.

Last edited by sj33,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depends. This is actually one of the situations I use to justify piracy to a certain extent. Let's say Trent Reznor and David Grohl, two of my favorite musicians, were involved in some ridiculous drug running, money laundering, human trafficking scheme. I'd still like listening to their older music, and if they (somehow) kept making new music, if it were good I'd listen to it too, however I wouldn't support it. I'd probably listen to it on youtube or through blackbeard's website.

If their art was influenced by their actions and just turned into some weird shit advocating for it, I'd totally draw the line. But if their music doesn't change in spirit, who cares? They won't see my money but I'll damn sure hear their music.

Reactions: Deleted User

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It depends. This is actually one of the situations I use to justify piracy to a certain extent. Let's say Trent Reznor and David Grohl, two of my favorite musicians, were involved in some ridiculous drug running, money laundering, human trafficking scheme. I'd still like listening to their older music, and if they (somehow) kept making new music, if it were good I'd listen to it too, however I wouldn't support it. I'd probably listen to it on youtube or through blackbeard's website.

If their art was influenced by their actions and just turned into some weird shit advocating for it, I'd totally draw the line. But if their music doesn't change in spirit, who cares? They won't see my money but I'll damn sure hear their music.
Curious though, would it be the same if the offense was child abuse? There are lines than can be crossed, I think. I don't think too many people would care if Ian Watkins was found guilty of drug running.

Reactions: Deleted User

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't live vicariously through other people especially the people I don't even know in real life. Hell I couldn't tell you 90% of the band X's real names nor do I care to learn them. Do they produce music I like? Good then cool that is all I care about.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depends sometimes for me. Take Trent Reznor for instance; there was a time that he was protesting against his record label and the music industry. He himself uploaded his albums to various public torrent trackers and I actually seemed to enjoy the music more, even that soft ambient post-rock stuff he was doing at the time. A year or two later I saw him in a commercial for PETA and that had the opposite effect.

Now sometimes an artist's criminal background or extreme political views can enhance the experience, even if I personally don't agree with their views. Accused or confirmed Nazi sympathizers like Boyd Rice or DouglasP of Death in June, Throbbing Gristle (the first official industrial music group and at least one member has since been exiled from the UK) started out doing violent and scatological performance art, of which I have no interest, but I feel it gives the music a sort of haunting atmosphere that it wouldn't otherwise have.

D

Deleted User

In most cases, yeah. I don't like most of xxxtentacion's music, it's too ...something... for me, but I listened to his album 17 since it was more my speed (and enjoyed some of it), despite the shit I've heard him do.

In some cases, depending on if the person is someone who I really look up to in a way -- be it because they are really good at playing an instrument which I'd like to learn how to play, because their songs really resonate with me, or something else -- I might stop listening to them for a short period of time just out of disappointment in said artist. I doubt I'd probably stop listening to them entirely because of that though, unless they did something really abhorrent.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I tend not to follow gossip rags nor read anything about the artists/[insert equivalent term] making whatever I like, and if I do it almost inhabits a separate space in my mind (I try to consider arguments on their own merits).

As such quite possibly do, however for the most part it is not an "art from the artist" idea but a pure ignorance one. Should I forcibly be made aware and have not yet forgotten I guess it would not matter either, though it is not impossible I could find it distasteful either and could not fault someone for not partaking on that basis.

There are two related ideas
1) Hacked and leaked data, a recent one being that extra marital site that got hacked.
2) Science from arseholes. A lot of Nazi science was junk but not all. Do you do it or do you redo it? Not a question with a simple answer. When does that cut off? Judge many of the European colonials or would be colonials by the standards of today and it would not end well, good science came out of that though.

Edit. Forgot the accused part.
Innocent unless proven and all that.

Last edited by FAST6191,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: Good morning everyone