Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
DSi firmware 1.4 blocks flashcards!
Facebook photo uploads + faster camera
scindsi.jpg

Nintendo has just released DSi firmware 1.4 which adds Facebook photo uploads, a faster camera and blocks flashcards. We'd suggest if you value using flashcards with your DSi you don't update.

Nintendo has signaled what we always suspected would be the case; they intend to start an arms race with flashcard makers and block their new DSi compatible cards with firmware updates. Now it's time to see how the flashcard makers respond. Some flashcards like the M3i Zero and Supercard DSONEi have updatable firmwares that potentially could save them from being blocked if the flashcard makers find a suitable workaround. Others like the iTouch2 can not be updated at all and will be useless on a DSi with firmware 1.4 and above. For now at least, DSi enhanced games don't require a certain firmware in order to be run.

The update is confirmed to be live in Europe, Japan and Australia so far.

Placeholder

Trophies
XP
Country
Not good news... what if flashcart developers can't find a new way for them to work? [rhetorical question]

By "faster camera" what do you mean?

D

Deleted-119707

perhaps smoother camera? unlesss someone hacks the firmware like waninkoko did with 4.1 for wii.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Hahaha, and i told this week some ppl not to buy one of those flashcards, but the would not listen.
The said something like, Nintendo never did a FW before, so why would the bother.

So he wil get screwed if he ever needs to update
tongue.gif

Now it's the wait for games that demand the update
biggrin.gif

Gonne update my Japanese DSi
biggrin.gif

* M3i Zero also blocked
* Supercard DS ONEi to

Placeholder

Trophies
XP
Country
Bah! I'm curious as to what faster camera means... but I don't want to see if I can update my DSi.

Curiousity is killing me!

Edit: -Gasp!- I remember Cyclo saying they weren't going to release a cart until existing ones didn't work. They assumed this firmware update would be at E3. I think Nintendo waited until the major flashcart manufacturers released their carts so they can be sure all are broken. Now Cyclo here haven't released a cart, have they? They were talking about how their method differs from AK2i etc. So, can we expect a CycloDSi to release in the coming days?

Eon-Rider

Trophies
Website
www.kablooza.co.cc
XP
Country

I've decided to take a video as proof for 1.4 in Australia. I can't say I've experienced the Facebook features and tested flashcarts or anything because I'd rather stay on 1.3 for now.

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Eon-Rider said:
I've decided to take a video as proof for 1.4 in Australia. I can't say I've experienced the Facebook features and tested flashcarts or anything because I'd rather stay on 1.3 for now.

I don't think anyone was saying this was a hoax.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
rockstar99 said:
lol so much for zero to infinity

If your referring the the M3 ZERO ..give them a chance to release an update the cards been out less than a month and Nintendo ONLY JUST released this update!

Eon-Rider

Trophies
Website
www.kablooza.co.cc
XP
Country
omatic said:
Eon-Rider said:

I don't think anyone was saying this was a hoax.
Haha, I don't think so either. I just didn't want a bad reputation in case people did because I was actually the one who made the claim that there was an update in another region outside of Japan in another thread. It doesn't hurt to have the video does it?
wink.gif

Now for my opinion on the update. I actually use Facebook a lot so I really want the Facebook feature. But then again, the DSi is a gaming console so I think I'll stick to my flashcarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: how are you doing @K3Nv2