EA Removes In-Game Purchases From Battlefront 2

rendition1.img.jpg

As you have no undoubtedly heard, the latest EA release, Battlefront 2, is rife with issues before it's even been released to the public. The main culprit is their loot box system, where users must either spend cash on crystals or spend an ungodly amount of time earning credits to unlock heroes or purchase loot boxes, which allow players to "improve their characters". The response to this basically pay-to-win scenario has been overwhelmingly negative, with a post with EA's response to the criticisms receiving the most downvoted posts ever on Reddit which is currently at 676,000+.

In response to this, EA has decided to completely disable all in-game purchases for the Battlefront 2 just before it's release. EA's statement is below:

Thank you to everyone in our community for being the passionate fans that you are.

Our goal has always been to create the best possible game for all of you – devoted Star Wars fans and game players alike. We’ve also had an ongoing commitment to constantly listen, tune and evolve the experience as it grows. You’ve seen this with both the major adjustments, and polish, we have made over the past several weeks.

But as we approach the worldwide launch, it's clear that many of you feel there are still challenges in the design. We’ve heard the concerns about potentially giving players unfair advantages. And we’ve heard that this is overshadowing an otherwise great game. This was never our intention. Sorry we didn’t get this right.

We hear you loud and clear, so we’re turning off all in-game purchases. We will now spend more time listening, adjusting, balancing and tuning. This means that the option to purchase crystals in the game is now offline, and all progression will be earned through gameplay. The ability to purchase crystals in-game will become available at a later date, only after we’ve made changes to the game. We’ll share more details as we work through this.

We have created a game that is built on your input, and it will continue to evolve and grow. Star Wars Battlefront II is three times the size of the previous game, bringing to life a brand new Star Wars story, space battles, epic new multiplayer experiences across all three Star Wars eras, with more free content to come. We want you to enjoy it, so please keep your thoughts coming. And we will keep you updated on our progress.

While that's at least a step in the right direction regarding Battlefront 2's pay-to-win loot box system, and while EA has slashed the prices on heroes already, it's still unclear how long exactly it'll take users to unlock popular heroes through normal gameplay.

:arrow: Source

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I hope Disney take down EA one day.
In that case at least we have one less piece of s. (Not that we need disney)

Last edited by Yil,

fedehda

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
The sad thing is that the game looked promising. I tried the beta and didn't like it. And all of this p2w thing... I'm glad I'm not buying it. And I was going to give it a chance after BF1. Well, it seems I'll be buying the original BF2 on Steam one of these days!

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
No, they don't. Rocket League failed hard once they locked new cars in lootboxes. If it was just cosmetics fine, but cars shouldn't be locked behind a gambling mechanic.
Lol, I've never heard the words "Rocket League" and "failed" in the same sentence before. You realize the car bodies are cosmetics too, right? Also I got all of them for like $10. All but a few can be bought individually for $2 each. Every bit worth supporting them, especially with a base price of $20.

Last edited by Xzi,

Tallion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, easy credits in your first few hours, just like ANY freemium mobile game. Give you enough to get gud quick, then syphon you off till you either stop playing, or feel the need to progress to keep up, so you drop some cash. What will it hurt? It's only $5 here or there, oh wait before you know it you're $500 into the game and too far into the sand trap to justify getting out.

Update us after you have 20 hours into the game, and then tell us how well you're "progressing". Also, please tell us of your sense of "accomplishment".

Sorry, I just can't justify anyone supporting EA by purchasing or playing this game, or any game they offer anymore.

I'm not justifying the weird progression system they have. I am just saying that they did listen and make very generous adjustments so far. I'm giving the progression system time to develop since the gameplay and visuals are beyond expectations. The fact that they are disabling all in game purchases for now, is a step in the right direction, and I hope they make further adjustments to the game as well.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Lol, I've never heard the words "Rocket League" and "failed" in the same sentence before. You realize the car bodies are cosmetics too, right? Also I got all of them for like $10. All but a few can be bought individually for $2 each. Every bit worth supporting them, especially with a base price of $20.
So what car is "Jäger" a skin of?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So what car is "Jäger" a skin of?
Now you're moving the goalposts from "cosmetics" to "skins." All the loot box car bodies are cooler than most of the others IMO, but your odds of getting them are pretty good too. $20 got me everything I wanted from loot boxes, and after about $10 I had all the loot box bodies, some of them painted even.

Blanket statements are almost never true, there are some devs who actually give the player what they want, even when it comes to loot boxes.

Last edited by Xzi,

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Now you're moving the goalposts from "cosmetics" to "skins." All the loot box car bodies are cooler than most of the others IMO, but your odds of getting them are pretty good too. $20 got me everything I wanted from loot boxes, and after about $10 I had all the loot box bodies, some of them painted even.

Blanket statements are almost never true, there are some devs who actually give the player what they want, even when it comes to loot boxes.
Still doesn't change my statement, a skin is a cosmetic no? The new "skins" of the car does give them a different appeal. The breaking straw was "Jäger" for me. It's a unique car that I can't get a hold of without gambling. Can people stop defending this piece of shit market so we can get it killed already?

Reactions: Ethevion

Xabring

Trophies
Website
xabring.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Looks great. Plays great. Battlefront 1 was super fun. BF2 has several improvements.
The microtransactions are a problem but have absolutely nothing to do with the overall quality of the game.
THIS

Why is almost everyone saying they turned it off while they clearly state that they will come back at a later time ! Not talking about the comment section here but news outlets in general. I just don't get it how most game websites, youtubers can miss that line in the text
there's no worst blind that the one who doesn't want to see. That's why.

The worst thing of this, and I feel the worst casualty is that this game *ACTUALLY* looked good. I mean the combat looked improved, the campaign looked facinating and most of all it looks like the nailed it on the head. But as with EA, the more they get right, the more they WILL get wrong.
Agreed, EA had some amazing games in the past. Mass Effect (the original trilogy) comes to mind.

That's the kind of game we all should be endorsing. but we fail to educate ourselves in the first place.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Still doesn't change my statement, a skin is a cosmetic no? The new "skins" of the car does give them a different appeal. The breaking straw was "Jäger" for me. It's a unique car that I can't get a hold of without gambling. Can people stop defending this piece of shit market so we can get it killed already?
Sorry no, we need to highlight when devs/publishers do things right, because there are thousands of examples of doing it wrong. Cosmetics only with most of them acquirable for free is a very generous model. Doubly so when the base price is $20. EA is being infinitely more greedy and it's a full $60 AAA game.

Reactions: Xabring

Molina

My title? It's gone,... like the last fuck I gave.
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Why is almost everyone saying they turned it off while they clearly state that they will come back at a later time ! Not talking about the comment section here but news outlets in general. I just don't get it how most game websites, youtubers can miss that line in the text
I saw your comment then I saw that while casually browsing.

aL8OqAW_700b.jpg

I lol'ed.

People need to understand that as long they will fall into the trap, they'll keep doing it.

Sorry no, we need to highlight when devs/publishers do things right, because there are thousands of examples of doing it wrong. Cosmetics only with most of them acquirable for free is a very generous model. Doubly so when the base price is $20. EA is being infinitely more greedy and it's a full $60 AAA game.

Grinding Gear Games did it right. F2P with supporter pack and skin shop, with no influence in game.
Actually it's not hard to find devs/publishers who did it right but on the other hand, the big publishers have way more audience so the betrayal feels bigger.

Last edited by Molina,
Reactions: Xabring and Xzi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.