Jaspiibear

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I've never tried to hack my 3ds before and I'm not super computer savy so I'm not very surprised I got an error when trying to launch homebrew for the first time. Whenever I try and open the sound file on the 3ds it says an error has occurred and that it's going to restart my 3ds. I think I understand my problem though, I'm just not sure how to fix it. I opened one of the files I needed to put on the SD card and used google chrome on accident to open it and then some of the file icons turned from like a blank white rectangle to the google chrome icon. I feel like that has something to do with it but i'm not sure if that's the issue or if it's something else...
If anyone knows how to fix my problem and explain it in a very simple way I would appreciate it. <3

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
First of all, what firmware are you on? I assume you don't have Luma or a CFW installed as you are using Soundhax instead of something like Rosalina, so you have a vanilla unit. Go to the system settings and check the version of the FW (bottom right of top screen). If it's above 11.3, Soundhax is unusable and will always fail to work.

Reactions: Giodude

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are indeed below 11.3, are you sure you renamed the other app payload to other app.bin? What kind of error do you get when launching? If you do happen to be above 11.3, you can still experience Homebrew and cfw, though it will cost the price of a compatible nds flashcart, which typically retails for about $20.

Jaspiibear

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, what firmware are you on? I assume you don't have Luma or a CFW installed as you are using Soundhax instead of something like Rosalina, so you have a vanilla unit. Go to the system settings and check the version of the FW (bottom right of top screen). If it's above 11.3, Soundhax is unusable and will always fail to work.
The version of my 3ds is 11.0.0-26U. I tried to send a link to the website I used to try and install it from, and a picture of the files on my SD card, but since I'm a new member it wouldn't let me. It was 3ds guide though. I followed the instructions for the old 3ds for version 9.0-11.3

Reactions: Giodude

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
The version of my 3ds is 11.0.0-26U. I tried to send a link to the website I used to try and install it from, and a picture of the files on my SD card, but since I'm a new member it wouldn't let me. It was 3ds guide though. I followed the instructions for the old 3ds for version 9.0-11.3
Have you made sure to rename the files appropriately EXACTLY how it says you should in the guide and that you have the correct files for your region? Try redownloading the Soundhax file and make sure to have the "starter.zip" file extracted at the root of your SD card too.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure you have the "otherapp.bin" on the root of your SD card as well for your firmware and current region. That's normally what most people forget when trying to use Soundhax, you still need the ropbin.

Reactions: ThoD

Jaspiibear

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you made sure to rename the files appropriately EXACTLY how it says you should in the guide and that you have the correct files for your region? Try redownloading the Soundhax file and make sure to have the "starter.zip" file extracted at the root of your SD card too.

I tried reinstalling the sound file and made sure it had the ".m4a" at the end and it still didn't work. I'm not sure what you mean when you say the starter.zip, when I download the soundhax from their website it just gives me the sound file, not a zip file I believe.
The only other confusing issue that happened while I was dragging the files to the SD card was I couldn't find a "SafeB9SInstaller.bin" in the zip that I got. There was a SafeB9SInstaller file with no .___ after it and I just assumed it was probably that and used that one.

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I tried reinstalling the sound file and made sure it had the ".m4a" at the end and it still didn't work. I'm not sure what you mean when you say the starter.zip, when I download the soundhax from their website it just gives me the sound file, not a zip file I believe.
The only other confusing issue that happened while I was dragging the files to the SD card was I couldn't find a "SafeB9SInstaller.bin" in the zip that I got. There was a SafeB9SInstaller file with no .___ after it and I just assumed it was probably that and used that one.
Go here and download the otherapp payload for your version: http://smealum.github.io/3ds/ Also, here: https://smealum.github.io/ninjhax2/starter.zip (extract to the root of the SD card)

If you have indeed been following 3ds.guide, then it should have all these in the instructions...

Jaspiibear

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure you have the "otherapp.bin" on the root of your SD card as well for your firmware and current region. That's normally what most people forget when trying to use Soundhax, you still need the ropbin.
When I go to the homebrew launcher website there's an option to download the otherapp or the robpin. Do I need to add the robpin file to the SD card too? It doesn't say anything about that on the 3ds guide I read, they even showed a picture of what your SD folder should look like too and I copied it exactly to my knowledge.

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
When I go to the homebrew launcher website there's an option to download the otherapp or the robpin. Do I need to add the robpin file to the SD card too? It doesn't say anything about that on the 3ds guide I read, they even showed a picture of what your SD folder should look like too and I copied it exactly to my knowledge.
Listen, it's best to just start over, so here: https://3ds.guide/homebrew-launcher-(soundhax)
That will be much simpler than trying to find what exactly you did wrong. Make sure to not skip any steps and read the notes at the top too!

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It;s literally the last file listed under "What you need" with a link provided and everything... "

Reactions: ThoD

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All you need to actually launch the hbl is boot.3dsx on the root, otherapp.bin on the sd card root, and the m4a file on the root. Did you make sure to choose new or old depending on if you have a n3ds or o3ds?

Reactions: Majickhat55

Jaspiibear

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have indeed been following 3ds.guide, then it should have all these in the instructions...[/QUOTE]
Ya I followed the guide
It;s literally the last file listed under "What you need" with a link provided and everything.."

Oh so if I install the starter kit everything will work just fine?

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have indeed been following 3ds.guide, then it should have all these in the instructions...
Ya I followed the guide

Oh so if I install the starter kit everything will work just fine?[/QUOTE]
Did you not extract the starter kit to the root? It's necessary.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup