Misc Eshop and cost to Nintendo for downloading updates/games

gbatempaccount

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a random question I had. Not sure if anyone can shed some light on this. I'm wondering if there's a cost to Nintendo when you buy games and then download them and their updates? Say, for instance, someone buys 30 GB worth of games on the eshop and then downloads them. would there be a cost associated with the bandwidth that nintendo would incur, even if it's minimal? Does anyone have any idea on this? I'm just curious.

Trumpasaurus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a random question I had. Not sure if anyone can shed some light on this. I'm wondering if there's a cost to Nintendo when you buy games and then download them and their updates? Say, for instance, someone buys 30 GB worth of games on the eshop and then downloads them. would there be a cost associated with the bandwidth that nintendo would incur, even if it's minimal? Does anyone have any idea on this? I'm just curious.
Because they have massive servers to seed this content out, it’s not really costing them anything beyond what they’ve already invested. They’re spending money to maintain these servers, and if more people download data in one month versus another month, it won’t change the cost incurred. It’s negligible in the grand scheme of things.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Going off Google CDN pricing, it depends on where you live, but it's around a few cents per GB, so downloading 30GB costs Nintendo maybe like one dollar max. https://cloud.google.com/cdn/pricing

But of course it all depends on the contract they have with whoever manages their server space and bandwidth, so it might in reality be a fixed price or anything else.

Last edited by Arras,

gbatempaccount

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the comments so far guys. very interesting. I was actually trying to figure out who nintendo's content deliverer is. I know that akamai is a common one for big companies but I didn't see nintendo listed as a customer. Also didn't see any way to contact nintendo directly electronically to ask them directly for myself (though I'm not sure if they'd tell me or not).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ShdwTakashi @ ShdwTakashi: pineapple belong on pizza? The answer is yes until proven otherwise