• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 38,048
  • Replies 83
  • Likes 1
D

Deleted User

OP
The cartridges that have Super Gameboy enhancements are either a black cartridge that can be played in B/W or Color (Link's Awakening DX), or they will be a grey cartridge with a Super Gameboy Enhancement logo on it. (Tetris 2, anyone?)
Black Cartridges are actually for GB mode GBC games, though a lot have SGB modes
Not all grey SGB games have the SGB logo either, I think it was mostly a Japanese thing to point out a game has SGB mode

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Black Cartridges are actually for GB mode GBC games, though a lot have SGB modes
Not all grey SGB games have the SGB logo either, I think it was mostly a Japanese thing to point out a game has SGB mode

I just haven't come across any black carts without any SGB enhancements, they all give at least a border, even if the graphics stay monochrome.

D

Deleted User

OP
I just haven't come across any black carts without any SGB enhancements, they all give at least a border, even if the graphics stay monochrome.
Same, but I haven't seen any proof that they all have boarders, there might be some obscure 3rd party games that no one's checked. SGB mode is obscure enough itself, I see too many twitch streams playing well known SGB enhanced games in monochrome and when I suggest SGB mode they get as confused as a monkey with a mirror.
Telefang doesn't display a boarder but only due to a glitch, which is a shame since it has the best SGB boarder I've ever seen.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Same, but I haven't seen any proof that they all have boarders, there might be some obscure 3rd party games that no one's checked. SGB mode is obscure enough itself, I see too many twitch streams playing well known SGB enhanced games in monochrome and when I suggest SGB mode they get as confused as a monkey with a mirror.
Telefang doesn't display a boarder but only due to a glitch, which is a shame since it has the best SGB boarder I've ever seen.

I use GameYob on my r4i cart, and I found a SGB border of the platinum gameboy color (It has 4 starter pokemon around the screen) and I always get compliments when I'm using it at work on my 2DS.

D

Deleted User

OP
I use GameYob on my r4i cart, and I found a SGB border of the platinum gameboy color (It has 4 starter pokemon around the screen) and I always get compliments when I'm using it at work on my 2DS.
You mean the one with the Johto Starters that changed between gold/silver depending on light?

Reactions: Jayro
D

Deleted User

OP
Yes, that one. :D
I had that one but with Pikachu and Pichu
I also had another variant with the Pikachu and Pichu but with the Pokémon Yellow bundle colors. There was also a variant of the Yellow bundle one what replaced Meowth or Jigglypuff (forgot which one) with Togepi.
Nintendo went crazy with the Pokémon GBCs lol.
I currently use the orange and blue Pokémon Center 3rd anniversary exclusive with Kanto Starters and Pikachu which I got in new condition for a large sum of money (sadly the Pikachu face batteries were too old to work). It's my first non second hand GBC and I bought an official Lugia case from a German seller to protect it from scratches. I also bought a near new Hello Kitty GBC and another Lugia case (couldn't get the Ho-oh one but the Lugia one was in huge supply) so now I'm the happy owner of 2 rare, non-scratched GBCs which I cherish like puppies.

I've also considered getting the orange Pikachu N64 to match but it seems to be missing the 64DD port from what I've seen, so I'd rather not buy it anticipating that I'd need another when I get a 64DD (Don't have the room and money for multiple NTSC N64s). Plus, I wouldn't want to tarnish it by modifying the Game Pak slot to fit US carts which I plan to do with the smoke grey console that's on it's way.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I currently only have a backlit GBA SP, Graphite color, in near-new condition, no scratches, buttons work, and battery is very good for it's age. I got it in late 2002, and it plays all my GB/GBC/GBA games, plus my EZ-FLASH IV. I also own an original Gameboy, a DMG-001 that's grey. It works fine, except for the few lines of missing pixels on the far right side, hardly noticable when gaming. I got it in 1990 on my 7th Christmas. I recently got a Gameboy Player for Gamecube with boot disc, and will be getting the Gamecube and SD Media Launcher from my friend this Thursday. My dream of playing Gameboy Advance games on my TV via actual hardware is finally coming true. :3

D

Deleted User

OP
I currently only have a backlit GBA SP, Graphite color, in near-new condition, no scratches, buttons work, and battery is very good for it's age. I got it in late 2002, and it plays all my GB/GBC/GBA games, plus my EZ-FLASH IV. I also own an original Gameboy, a DMG-001 that's grey. It works fine, except for the few lines of missing pixels on the far right side, hardly noticable when gaming. I got it in 1990 on my 7th Christmas. I recently got a Gameboy Player for Gamecube with boot disc, and will be getting the Gamecube and SD Media Launcher from my friend this Thursday. My dream of playing Gameboy Advance games on my TV via actual hardware is finally coming true. :3
I just got a GameCube and GBP myself. One problem with GBA though is the lack of IR port which is useful for training Pokémon in GSC (trainer house) and mandatory to unlock some special cards in TCG. Which is why I opted for GBC over GBA
Now that I have a GBP I can play GBA games (and non Stadium 2 compatable GBC games on TV), I might get a GBA as well at some point. I had an SGB 2 aswell but I sold it with my SupaBoy last year since I wasnt really using it and my only SGB games are GBC games and Pokémon Red/Blue anyway.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I just got a GameCube and GBP myself. One problem with GBA though is the lack of IR port which is useful for training Pokémon in GSC (trainer house) and mandatory to unlock some special cards in TCG. Which is why I opted for GBC over GBA
Now that I have a GBP I can play GBA games (and non Stadium 2 compatable GBC games on TV), I might get a GBA as well at some point. I had an SGB 2 aswell but I sold it with my SupaBoy last year since I wasnt really using it and my only SGB games are GBC games and Pokémon Red/Blue anyway.

What does the Super Gameboy 2 offer that the first one didn't? Color support? o.o

CosmoCortney

i snack raw pasta and chew lollipops
Trophies
Website
follow-the-white-rabbit.wtf
XP
Country
Germany
Pokemon Gold
The Lion King
Zelda - Link's Awakening
Super Mario Land
a Chinese bootleg game collection that contains 27 actual Super GameBoy titles (for the case bootlegs count)
Jurassic Park
Die Maus
Pokemon Pinball

Harvest Moon 2
Dragon Ball Z
Pokemon Puzzle Challenge

D

Deleted User

OP
What does the Super Gameboy 2 offer that the first one didn't? Color support? o.o
Better clockspeed (the original had a lower clockspeed than a regular GameBoy) an extra set of borders and a link cable port.
Unless you're a modder I recommend the extra effort for the SGB2 over the original.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Better clockspeed (the original had a lower clockspeed than a regular GameBoy) an extra set of borders and a link cable port.
Unless you're a modder I recommend the extra effort for the SGB2 over the original.

I've seen people overclock a regular SGB like crazy, on Youtube. But yeah, I'd go for the SGB 2 as well. I'm pretty satisfired with my GB Player though, and once I get the disc's ISO booting from SD Media Launcher, I'll be giving the disc to my friend, helping him out. :)

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
+1 for
  • Kirby's Dreamland
  • Legend of Zelda, The - Oracle of Ages (C)
  • Legend of Zelda, The - Link's Awakening DX (C)
  • Legend of Zelda, The - Oracle of Seasons (C)
  • Pokémon Blue
  • Pokémon Yellow
  • Wario Land - Super Mario Land 3
  • Donkey Kong Land III
  • Duck Tales
  • Spy Vs Spy

SapphireDaisy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
+1 Legend of Zelda, The - Oracle of Ages