ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Resident Evil 2.
You can't leave that wonder of technological hardware go out of the essentials list for N64.
I think only that one and that pretty much does it for the list.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Resident Evil 2.
You can't leave that wonder of technological hardware go out of the essentials list for N64.
I think only that one and that pretty much does it for the list.

How Capcom squeezed 1.2 or so GB of data into 512 MBit (64 MB) is beyond me, with double the resolution, FMVs, and some bonus content if I'm not mistaken. :blink:

Reactions: ShadowOne333

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Let's break the monotony a little bit, because I keep on seeing the same games suggested over and over again. Try these:
  • Starcraft 64
  • Command & Conquer
  • Star Wars Racer
  • Lego Racers
  • Turok
  • Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
  • Turok: Rage Wars
  • Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
  • Harvest Moon
  • Quake
  • Quake II
  • Worms Armageddon
  • Wipeout 64
  • Shadow Man
  • Tony Hawk's Skateboarding
  • Resident Evil 2
Some of those are obviously better on other platforms, but they're still good games and they're on the N64, so they count in my book. Scraping the bottom of the barrel here at times, but what can you do? The N64 ain't got a whole lot of games.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
How Capcom squeezed 1.2 or so GB of data into 512 MBit (64 MB) is beyond me, with double the resolution, FMVs, and some bonus content if I'm not mistaken. :blink:

1.4 GB actually, taking into consideration that each PSX disc is 700 MB tops.
1.4 GB into a 64 MB cartridge, and developers today are bitching about porting stuff to Wii U.
LAME!

Factor 5 and Angel Studios pretty much demonstrated what real hard-work is and the desire to bring a franchise to a new system.
To my eyes, the N64 port is the best version of RE2 alonside the Dreamcast version due to its extras.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
1.4 GB into a 64 MB cartridge, and developers today are bitching about porting stuff to Wii U.
LAME!

Factor 5 and Angel Studios pretty much demonstrated what real hard-work is and the desire to bring a franchise to a new system.
To my eyes, the N64 port is the best version of RE2 alonside the Dreamcast version due to its extras.
Resident Evil 2 suffered from the conversion though - the FMV's are the worst out of all the versions and considering the fact that there's a PC release... "Ehh". Capcom must've gone through shenanigans of epic proportions to get the game to fit, I'd wager. The same applies to Factor 5 and Rare who both had to use multiple layers of textures to make the games look presentable due to the N64's texture size limit, and even then some things simply looked washed out. Long story short, the N64 was... not a dream to develop for.

Reactions: TyBlood13

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LAME!

I believe Factor 5 wrote the MusyX codec for that game as well, to help with compression and overall quality of the sound, but I remember seeing an interview at the man who was head of the team that ported the game. The FMVs were a hellish nightmare to port within the N64's constraints, but it was a major milestone http://emuconsoleexploitnews.blogspot.com/2011/04/achieving-full-motion-video-on-nintendo.html and http://guidesarchive.ign.com/guides/504/refacts.html - These two links give a good idea of what it took to port it, using the PSX version assets and many other obstacles. Theoretically, Final Fantasy VII could have been ported as well, but lack of motivation and exclusivity contracts with Sony prevented it.

Resident Evil 2 suffered from the conversion though - the FMV's are the worst out of all the versions and considering the fact that there's a PC release... "Ehh". Capcom must've gone through shenanigans of epic proportions to get the game to fit, I'd wager. The same applies to Factor 5 and Rare who both had to use multiple layers of textures to make the games look presentable due to the N64's texture size limit, and even then some things simply looked washed out. Long story short, the N64 was... not a dream to develop for.

True, compression was pretty damn horrid on it. It was still one helluva an achievement though, as FMV wasn't supposed to be possible on a 512 Mbit cart ;) It had major design flaws, the high-latency RDRAM, the pitiable 4 KB texture cache, and 4 MB of system RAM (8 with Expansion Pack) to name a few.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I believe Factor 5 wrote the MusyX codec for that game as well, to help with compression and overall quality of the sound, but I remember seeing an interview at the man who was head of the team that ported the game. The FMVs were a hellish nightmare to port within the N64's constraints, but it was a major milestone http://emuconsoleexploitnews.blogspot.com/2011/04/achieving-full-motion-video-on-nintendo.html and http://guidesarchive.ign.com/guides/504/refacts.html - These two links give a good idea of what it took to port it, using the PSX version assets and many other obstacles. Theoretically, Final Fantasy VII could have been ported as well, but lack of motivation and exclusivity contracts with Sony prevented it.

True, compression was pretty damn horrid on it. It was still one helluva an achievement though, as FMV wasn't supposed to be possible on a 512 Mbit cart ;) It had major design flaws, the high-latency RDRAM, the pitiable 4 KB texture cache, and 4 MB of system RAM (8 with Expansion Pack) to name a few.
Final Fantasy 7 was released on 3 CD's and they were fully packed, I highly doubt that it could be ported onto a single cartridge.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Final Fantasy 7 was released on 3 CD's and they were fully packed, I highly doubt that it could be ported onto a single cartridge.

Fair enough, just a silly assumption I made, Capcom did what should have been impossible, but they did it, though it was extremely nightmarish to port. Had the N64 been given more texture cache, faster RDRAM and high capacity game media, it would be a different story, I think.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Fair enough, just a silly assumption I made, Capcom did what should have been impossible, but they did it, though it was extremely nightmarish to port. Had the N64 been given more texture cache, faster RDRAM and high capacity game media, it would be a different story, I think.
Or it could've just been released with a CD-ROM drive, since we all know that the whole "CD's are too slow for our advanced system" line of defense was a load of croak. This was the most major problem the system faced and the 64DD did not help at all.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or it could've just been released with a CD-ROM drive, since we all know that the whole "CD's are too slow for our advanced system" line of defense was a load of croak. This was the most major problem the system faced and the 64DD did not help at all.

Some PSX games did have some long-arse loading times though, that I remember, and 2x CD-ROMs then were not that great, maybe that was their "logic" behind that argument. The people who developed the console regret it now, only after, what, 18 years?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Some PSX games did have some long-arse loading times though, that I remember, and 2x CD-ROMs then were not that great, maybe that was their "logic" behind that argument. The people who developed the console regret it now, only after, what, 18 years?
They couldn't exactly openly regret it when the console was in circulation, could they? Nintendo wanted to implement a CD drive in their systems since the SNES, but since they didn't have any experience with that, they've enlisted Sony and then Panasonic. They fell out with Sony and Panasonic's CD-i turned out to be a piece of trash, so they stuck to what they knew to rush the console out. They were just in a hurry, that's really the only reason - they couldn't afford another year or two of R&D and losing their foothold completely.

Reactions: the_randomizer

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
They couldn't exactly openly regret it when the console was in circulation, could they? Nintendo wanted to implement a CD drive in their systems since the SNES, but since they didn't have any experience with that, they've enlisted Sony and then Panasonic. They fell out with Sony and Panasonic's CD-i turned out to be a piece of trash, so they stuck to what they knew to rush the console out. They were just in a hurry, that's really the only reason - they couldn't afford another year or two of R&D and losing their foothold completely.

Yeah I am aware of the compression issues, mostly notable with the FMVs cutscenes, but even with that I think the port was great for the accomplishment and the hard work put into it.

As for the Nintendo stuff...
Yeah, they really screwed it up when they left Sony out of the picture and worked with Panasonic instead, bad decision and that resulted in the rise of a new console to long live in the console wars...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yeah I am aware of the compression issues, mostly notable with the FMVs cutscenes, but even with that I think the port was great for the accomplishment and the hard work put into it.

As for the Nintendo stuff...
Yeah, they really screwed it up when they left Sony out of the picture and worked with Panasonic instead, bad decision and that resulted in the rise of a new console to long live in the console wars...
What I *really* don't understand is the 64DD - slower loading times and no capacity advantage whatsoever. They could've released a CD add-on, but didn't for whatever reason. Hell, even third-parties released some (see: Bung Doctor v64, for instance), I can't imagine Nintendo not being able to work that out. I suppose their only worry was piracy and it clouded clear judgement.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
What I *really* don't understand is the 64DD - slower loading times and no capacity advantage whatsoever. They could've released a CD add-on, but didn't for whatever reason. Hell, even third-parties released some (see: Bung Doctor v64), I can't imagine Nintendo not being able to work that out.

They really pressed the wrong button in that option, going for cartridge instead of CD while all the other consoles at the time were using it due to the easiness of programming and data storage.
I am amazed that Nintendo is still holding up today when they have been the least powerful console since the N64 times (excluding NGC generation)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
They really pressed the wrong button in that option, going for cartridge instead of CD while all the other consoles at the time were using it due to the easiness of programming and data storage. I am amazed that Nintendo is still holding up today when they have been the least powerful console since the N64 times (excluding NGC generation)
They live according to one cardinal rule - "people buy our systems to play our games", and that kept them afloat over the years (even if I think this line of thinking is a bit misguided). You can say a lot about their hardware, but their software rarely fails. Shame that it lacks originality these days and new IP's are few and far between, but they're holding up still.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
They live according to one cardinal rule - "people buy our systems to play our games", and that kept them afloat over the years (even if I think this line of thinking is a bit misguided). You can say a lot about their hardware, but their software rarely fails. Shame that it lacks originality these days and new IP's are few and far between, but they're holding up still.

That's what's still holding them for sure.
I have always liked games from Nintendo though, I can barely say I enjoyed other franchises or exclusives the same way, so I am one of those haha.
Good old Nintendo.

I am still trying to think about more N64 games, perhaps the Pokemon Stadiums?
Who can give me a short description of the Castlevania games for N64?
I only played the beginning of both games and haven't played more.

Wellington2k

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
Paper Mario
Majora's Mask
Mario Kart 64
Donkey Kong 64
Goldeneye 007