Gaming False advertisement or is this real?

Closet Nerd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This appears to be an SP clone/concoction with headphone jack, mini usb, and accepts sd cards. Looks like the cartridge slot is taken up too.

https://www.tomtop.com/p-f897bl.html#flow_qa

e2_2.jpg

Last edited by Closet Nerd,

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
This is not a clone. It's a media player shaped as a GBA SP.
For the price, and what it is advertised to do, I would believe this is actually pretty sweet. I won't lie, I kinda want to get one myself.

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
For the price, and what it is advertised to do, I would believe this is actually pretty sweet. I won't lie, I kinda want to get one myself.
Screen resolution is also 800x600, which is quite decent. But I wouldn't pay USD $76.28 for it.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont really understand the question. If you are asking "is this a real Game Boy Advance" the answer is clearly no. But you already knew that right? right?
So lets move on to the next possibility. Are you asking "is this a real object"? Probably. My guess is that it is a piece of hardware that looks like a Game Boy Advance only.
the hardware inside is probably newer than the GBA hardware that was outdated at the time of release, mean that this thing can probably emulate GBA games with varying degrees of success.

Reactions: VinsCool

Closet Nerd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Right?

I spent some time googling, but nothing comes up.

Theres definitely enthusiasm for these frankenstein rip-off's, so I'm a bit puzzled.

Todderbert

Korg Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would say pass, I bought a GameBox clone back a while ago...worked great for about a year then died, new batt didn't fix it either. So my trust in these knockoffs that are over $50 is very little. I will only purchase real OEM hardware, except of course the flash cart.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
Well looking at it I see "Support GBA games" I'm thinking you load GBA games via the micro sd card slot I see in the front.

Looking at the reviews I can tell one is either fake or an half-assed review. What I find strange is that nobody says how good the emulation is.

Closet Nerd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
$3 coupon + 300 points from email signup + app install = $70.28 total before shipping.

Someone talk me out of it.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
$3 coupon + 300 points from email signup + app install = $70.28 total before shipping.

Someone talk me out of it.
please... you will regret it later...
probably you will even give it away with shipping payed just to get rid of your shame later

Closet Nerd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
please... you will regret it later...
probably you will even give it away with shipping payed just to get rid of your shame later

You're probably right. DARN YOU.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

As far as asian websites go, it does seem to be on the up and up.

Not saying much, though.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
You're probably right. DARN YOU.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

As far as asian websites go, it does seem to be on the up and up.

Not saying much, though.
70 bucks is a really lot to gamble... or maybe cuz i am a cheapskate.. but i wouldn't risk 70 bucks for what can be perfectly trash...
not sure if that thing can play actuall games, but if it's just a media player, it will probably suck.. for 70 bucks you can get an android phone that will work decently..
while this thing you don't even know if it does it's job (what if plays video at 15 fps, or menu is unresponsive as hell taking half a second to move the icon)

Closet Nerd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
70 bucks is a really lot to gamble... or maybe cuz i am a cheapskate.. but i wouldn't risk 70 bucks for what can be perfectly trash...
not sure if that thing can play actuall games, but if it's just a media player, it will probably suck.. for 70 bucks you can get an android phone that will work decently..
while this thing you don't even know if it does it's job (what if plays video at 15 fps, or menu is unresponsive as hell taking half a second to move the icon)

I would also be doing interested tempers a solid, informing them of said trash.

You can't put a price on nobility, man.

Reactions: migles

Todderbert

Korg Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would also be doing interested tempers a solid, informing them of said trash.

You can't put a price on nobility, man.

no, you can't. You can gamble your money however, and most of the time the house wins. Personally, I would save a few extra dollars, buy myself an AGS-101 with an EZflash cart. Done. Like before in this thread, I mentioned these knockoffs even well built ones like the GameBox was, still failed. Its a gamble, and if you have fun buying cloned stuff and don't care about it being a loss, by all means go for it. I collect flashcarts, and not all of them work anymore, shelf queens now.

GameboyKingz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont really understand the question. If you are asking "is this a real Game Boy Advance" the answer is clearly no. But you already knew that right? right?
So lets move on to the next possibility. Are you asking "is this a real object"? Probably. My guess is that it is a piece of hardware that looks like a Game Boy Advance only.
the hardware inside is probably newer than the GBA hardware that was outdated at the time of release, mean that this thing can probably emulate GBA games with varying degrees of success.

you mean.. Gameboy Advance SP... Gameboy Advance is a diffrent model that was originally before the SP Model was released.
Just saying.....

Closet Nerd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Small update - took about 5 months but tomtop actually responded to a quesiton. My question asked about the existence of sd card slot and headphone jack, heres the underwhelming answer

No sd card slot, as for the headset, just need your TV has a headset port on it.

So it's either completely false advertisement or the tomtop rep hasn't actually seen the console and is just winging it.

Im still intrigued either way.

I sent them a second email a week ago, so i'll be back ITT in 2018 with the answer. :sp:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: uoiea