Gaming Final Fantasy XV Shoulda Been A PS3 Game

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm only at the very beginning of Chapter 3:Open World. And I'm realizing how small this little town world is. I can also already tell that this game isn't going to be much after I completely explore it. In terms of story, Chapter 1+2 went by significantly fast and I'm completing all the nonsense before going any further. And can tell the story is not gonna be much either. I like this game, I really do but.. WTF WHAT WENT WRONG?

Kingsglaive was a decent movie, however it somehow has a 13% on rotten tomatoes, it wasn't that bad (it definitely isn't worse than josh trank Fantastic Four Reboot or Zach Snyder's Man of Steel, Batman V Superman, Wonder Woman, Justice League). Brotherhood did a little of the story telling too and doesn't add much but its a decent watch. And finally the Platinum Demo and Episode Duscae did no justice for the actual game itself because the game itself is much better.

This game does things really well but its too inconsistent. The character models for Luna in the game and in Kingsglaive are totally different, there are even scenes teasing the movie that they place in game that don't fit in the game. All the item pickups and vegetable and treasure locations are so far and scattered into an inconsistent mess, Duscae should be lush with veggies yet the dessert has more locations... Each little gas station offers nothing but a place to do quests and half the map is actually closed off with just a road to force driving for a few minutes. Cindy, ugh dear god Cindy... Where the hell did you get that accent because your the only person with it, Cindy is also the only person in that game who is dressed like a whore.

All in All this should have been a ps3 game. All the mechanics, the world map, the story, the uninnovative features all scream ps3. I know it ended up on ps4 because they couldnt build a proper ps3 engine but I don't know what else Square Enix was doing for 10yrs and they royally messed up. They didn't developed a remotely complete story, if anything were to be developed for 10yrs you would think that it would be a story but that just isn't the case here. The background info on the Bros just doesn't seem to be good enough to call it a Brotherhood. The map is a PS3 level map, big but mostly closed off and stretched out to make it feel bigger, the cities (I can already tell) are tiny. As far as I can tell, the game woulda been the exact same on ps3 but a little less pretty and a lot less stretch out. Most of the items are useless and are only there to be sellable or add a little umph to magic and most of the food is just for aesthetics, almost no purpose to them. Ignis does nothing special, gladius does nothing special, prompto takes really terrible pictures, and that's it

A lot of these games now are just ps3 games with shinier and more vibrant colored graphics but I expected more from Square Enix on a 10yr project (which they somehow ended up having to build a xomplete game in a year and a half because of so many fuckups) but I really feel from what I've seen through its course if developement that the game is very close to the final product they intended to make since unveiling the trailer in 2006, a very outdated incoherent mess of a game that mirror the very state of the company. As I said, I really feel this game is no different than the one they were going to release for ps3 and it should have been on PS3. There isn't anything that I think of besides graphics that would make me believe a ps3 wouldn't have been abnle to handle it. Had it been on ps3 in 2011 maybe I'd be less forgiving on how bad the inconsistencies are.

If you asked me to give this a score I would initially give it a 3/100 for INCOMPLETION, for my own expectations of what I hoped this game would be. In the end I actually think this game WAS complete but the fan backlash forced them to add more stuff to it for IDK whatpurpose. I still like the music, I still like the gameplay, I still like the concept, but at its heart its not a really good game and all the bad outweigh the good by a ton, and they even try the money grab stuff by adding bullshit DLC. Final Score of "Kiss my muthafugginASS" out of 100

Last edited by gameboy, , Reason: Added a but more

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
they (square/enix) don't know how to create a proper, full length, story anymore.
they focus on movies to "fill the gap", they focus on cutscene to be fantasbulous but the games themselves are short and scattered around many different titles and sequel (how many FF13 ? how many FF15 on how many devices?)
you have a big world, but you are free to walk only on 1/3 of it (water world is one town, desert world is one train), is that too much work for them to develop?

oh, you get a nice story (with hole and inconsistency, but "nice looking" one), and a short gameplay. that seems to be their new politics to make moneys.
because, of course, they only do games to make money, not to satisfied the players. First interest to any company is always that, don't be fooled.
so, the time where you got a full game in one release has ended, free of bug without DLC and crap sequel on multiple plateforms to get enough puzzled story. (Snes up to PS2 era wasn't bad)

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dunno if is a trend that people think games existing in current console generation should have been made for last generation. But i guess is a thing. :P

In all honesty this game shoulda been a PS2 game. There isn't anything new in FFXV that we haven't seen from the very first Kingdom Hearts(2001). The first Boss was a massive heartless. Team battle with Goofy and Donald existed, and it worked better than FFXV's(LOL) because sometimes the team mates just sit there and don't do shit as you get in situations that shouldnt even be tight.

The first Infamous is a better overall game than FFXV, and Infamous Second Son is better than FFXV with almost all the same features. honestly if this didn't get ten years of hype it wouldnt get anything close to an average score of 8/10. Even without comparison to any other game if it was made by some other company and it was called something other than Final Fantasy I could hardly see it have anything higher than a 48/100.

Reactions: AxlSt00pid

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
You wrote it yourself: they couldn't make a good engine on PS3. That was an awful console to develop stuff on. Switch aside, this gen has set a new norm for software development on consoles. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd start converting the best PS3 games for PS4.

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You wrote it yourself: they couldn't make a good engine on PS3. That was an awful console to develop stuff on.

i know about that but nonetheless its a ps2 game with ps3 limits made with sub xb1 graphics. they optimized it poorly and im assuming the long drives are made to combat its terrible load times. Final Fantasy has become terrible. Square has never listened to their fans and their garbage projects show. FF7 doesnt look good either but i'll own it based on nastalgia. i like xv but ill be honest and say its not a very good game.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anything they shouldn't have rushed it. I feel like I have to pay to unlock fragments of missing stories, this isn't a story expansion either
Its filling in plot holes content and now all of a sudden they added character switch which was shown in their early trailers.... I guess they are doing all of this mainly for the PC release to be ready
Performance Wise 60fps is barely even there, even with a ps4 pro, but again its a rushed game its bound to have many flaws.

Reactions: gameboy and Cyan

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
If anything they shouldn't have rushed it. I feel like I have to pay to unlock fragments of missing stories, this isn't a story expansion either
Its filling in plot holes content and now all of a sudden they added character switch which was shown in their early trailers.... I guess they are doing all of this mainly for the PC release to be ready
Performance Wise 60fps is barely even there, even with a ps4 pro, but again its a rushed game its bound to have many flaws.
It's my biggest disappointment of this generation of consoles.
I bought a Pro just for it but they didn't release the patch until way later, by which point I'd platinumed the game.
I'd like to go back and try it again at some point, I was waiting for a sale on the season pass but by this time I doubt I'll bother.

Reactions: MasterJ360

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I remember I spent Christmas last year finishing this game. What a PoS Christmas. What a PoS game. The movie isn't good either, I remember forcing myself through that BluRay in hope the game story started making sense, it didn't work. The OVAs also didn't fix it. Worst purchase ever. Only Squenix can disappoint so well.

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

right. i waited until the game came complete to buy it. i avoided every single spoiler(even the 4chan leak, except for development status) or gameplay video of it. lucky for me i got it for $15(w/o expansion). im still in the beginning and i can tell its bad because it has a ton of missing pieces that i expected to be there

To me it doesn't seem rushed, i think they knew they had a bad product and tried to kill it off but we as a huge fanbase(7million sold) would't let go of it so they gave it to us. i bought a ps3 for it and a ps4 for it. but i looked it up and the original story writer seems to not have been part of its prodution....

Reactions: MasterJ360

placebooooo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow haha. So much hate in his thread. Time to give the game (some) love!

I just finished the game. I put in 105 hours (platinum, all side quests completed, and maximum character levels). I thought it was ok. Just like many of you, I REALLY wanted to enjoy and love the game for the hype it was brought up to be. The game had SO much potential. That’s why the game makes a me a bit upset (because it could’ve have been the game of the century).

My thoughts:
- the plot: man o’ man. Honestly, I felt like the plot was downright horrible. Too many plot holes. I was so disappointed by the plot. I watched the movie and the anime series before starting the game and they didn’t help at all. So many things didn’t make sense to me. I kept asking myself: “how did they end up here,” “why are we going there,” and “what does this have to do with anything.” I felt like the main chapters were too short and were no different than side quests (at least the first few chapters). In the chapter when Luna dies and afterwards, I felt like I started to understand a little bit, but was still confused. They had all the plot elements in place but they didn’t execute properly. Surprisingly, the I read online that the ending was trash and that i shouldn’t expect an emotional ending. Well, I teared a bit so the ending wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. Went in with low expectations for the ending and came out with a decent ending in my opinion. Also, people said chapter 13 was terrible. I enjoyed it and had absolutely no complaints (maybe a bit long is all).

-side quests: too fuc*ing much. Wow. Just wow. Not even gonna go there.

- gameplay and graphics: I’m playing the game on a slim console. I very much enjoyed the combat and graphics and gameplay is the only reason I kept going with the game. I agree that towns were tiny. Also, I really loved the dungeons in FFXV. I felt creeped out while playing them and I thought they were enjoyable honestly (except for that puzzle dungeons the costlemark one. Hated it lol).

But yeah. Just finished the game with 100 hours in and I overall enjoyed it despite its flaws. It’s not a game I would recommend to a new ps4 owner (it’s my first game and I just recently got a PS4). I bought the game and got the prompto and ignis episode dlc all for $20. If I had paid the full price for the game, I would have been a bit pissed, but for $20, I think it was ok. Probably gonna move onto NieR:Automata after I finish the prompto/ignis episodes (which I heard were well done). Currently playing the prompto episode and enjoying it this far.
Edit: I thought that the dialogues between the four guys was absolutely hilarious. Their interactions with one another felt organic to me.

Last edited by placebooooo,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Also, people said chapter 13 was terrible. I enjoyed it and had absolutely no complaints (maybe a bit long is all).
I have to say that they supposedly patched the game to make chapter 13 more bearable, I have no idea how it is now, I completed the game way before the patch.
Also I have to say I bought the game day one, the special edition that included the movie on BluRay, for some... 90€? I think.
Thus, the disappointment hit me full price. /s

placebooooo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to say that they supposedly patched the game to make chapter 13 more bearable, I have no idea how it is now, I completed the game way before the patch.
Also I have to say I bought the game day one, the special edition that included the movie on BluRay, for some... 90€? I think.
Thus, the disappointment hit me full price. /s

Haha. Really sorry to hear. I really am. I think that part of what made the game bearable is it being my first ps4 game too.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
this is what happens when games no longer require that seal of Nintendo quality :rofl:

no but honestly I kinda lost interest in FF games after ff9, 10 was ok but its where the visuals over gameplay/story started seeping in to me

Reactions: gameboy

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha. Really sorry to hear. I really am. I think that part of what made the game bearable is it being my first ps4 game too.

DAMN, spoiler alert. that ruined it for me. this wasnt a review... the 'stealth missions' are terrible too. im pretty sure they added one of the trailers as a major plot point lol. its a lazy 'un-canon' game.

Tokiri

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
imo I was srsly disappointed with FF VX the biggest reason being a misleading hype (for me at least). Gameplay was fine, but nothing that caught my attention for a long period of time. Story was a mess (I didn't like the direction they went). The World looked amazing, yet we couldn't see everything. And also the 2nd half of the game where we needed to rush through the plot (I think?) was a huge letdown. And even though this featured was welcomed by some players, it wasn't for me. The Car. God I hated that stuff.

Still makes me sad to realize that Persona 5 went even beyond my expectation and was even better then I though and looking at Final Fantasy 15 which made me want to play the game more less and less.

PLS KH3 BE GOOD! PLS FFVII BE GOOD!

Reactions: placebooooo

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is what happens when games no longer require that seal of Nintendo quality :rofl:

no but honestly I kinda lost interest in FF games after ff9, 10 was ok but its where the visuals over gameplay/story started seeping in to me

yup, i was gonna write in my blog how ff9 was the last real ff but i struggle finding works die to limited hardware

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
yup, i was gonna write in my blog how ff9 was the last real ff but i struggle finding works die to limited hardware
idk, there has been a few games that have held some of the original FF charm of developing characters and story rather than spending all your time/resources focusing on a totally ultra ultra HD photorealistic toast that is only seen for 2 seconds on screen

that said I feel final fantasy did always have an element of that pushing the graphics for wow moments, but I feel they got a bit ocd with it and left all the other elements to wither and die thinking they could get away with only stunning visuals

Last edited by gamesquest1,

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
idk, there has been a few games that have held some of the original FF charm of developing characters and story rather than spending all your time/resources focusing on a totally ultra ultra HD photorealistic toast that is only seen for 2 seconds on screen

that said I feel final fantasy did always have an element of that pushing the graphics for wow moments, but I feel they got a bit ocd with it and left all the other elements to wither and die thinking they could get away with only stunning visuals

the mechanics are very last gen ps3 stuff and the graphics are very mediocre for a 2016 game

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"