• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

First World Problems Here

Milowws

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Im kinda lost on wich handheld console i want to use my next income on.

Nintendo 3DS XL

Ps Vita

Wich is best in playing backups, and wich console is "easiest" to handle in homebrewing and using Custom firmware and stuff like that? :)

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Vita and 3DS have no custom firmware.

You can play backup PSP games on Vita but only if u have the exploilt game, DS games work on 3DS if you have a flashcard(DSTWO,R4i Gold 3DS)

You can play backups of 3DS games with the Gateway 3DS but only on 4.5 firmware, if ur console is 4.5+ then ur out of luck(Its not gonna ever support 4.5+ firmwares)

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know, neither console has been hacked in any way.

On the 3DS, you can play DS Backups with old equipment (Supercard DSTwo), and the Gateway 3DS is being released which supports 3DS ROMs, though I'm not getting too excited about it.

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Vita and 3DS have no custom firmware.

You can play backup PSP games on Vita but only if u have the exploilt game, DS games work on 3DS if you have a flashcard(DSTWO,R4i Gold 3DS)

You can play backups of 3DS games with the Gateway 3DS but only on 4.5 firmware, if ur console is 4.5+ then ur out of luck(Its not gonna ever support 4.5+ firmwares)

Giving this awesome answer really gave me a proud feeling to ComeTurismO.

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
If you are patient enough, the Vita is the better choice long term. 2 reasons:

1) Vita's support, if Sony doesn't abandon it of course, will pick up eventually and in 2-3 years will get some really good looking AAA titles. Just like it happened with the PSP, it was slow to pick up steam, but eventually became a powerhouse.

2) If both of the consoles get hacked, Vita will be able to emulate the 3DS if someone makes the effort to write an emulator for it. They share the same CPU architecture, so no dynamic recompiling will be necessary, and the Vita has more than enough horsepower to emulate its other fanctions. It also has gyroscope/touch controls, so emulation will be fairly faithful to the real thing... That of course will take years to mature, if it happens at all...

But seriously though, the best idea is to buy both. I did. As i did with the DS and the PSP. Each console is best on different game genres, so you can get both to have the best of both worlds...

Reactions: Deleted-236924
D

Deleted-236924

I have too much chips for my dip, but if I open another dip I'll have too much dip for my chips.

Reactions: J-Machine

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For the love of god can we please put a post count requirement to post threads.

Thousands of innocent baby seals could be saved from anger induced clubbing if such a thing were to be put in place.

MegaAce™

Steal back your future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
2) If both of the consoles get hacked, Vita will be able to emulate the 3DS if someone makes the effort to write an emulator for it. They share the same CPU architecture, so no dynamic recompiling will be necessary, and the Vita has more than enough horsepower to emulate its other fanctions. It also has gyroscope/touch controls, so emulation will be fairly faithful to the real thing... That of course will take years to mature, if it happens at all.

I want to see how in the world the Vita could emulate the 3DS without effin' things up.

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I want to see how in the world the Vita could emulate the 3DS without effin' things up.

In terms of hardware, Vita has 4 ARM cores(up to 2.0ghz), vastly more powerful than the 2 268mhz 3DS ARM cores. It has much more memory and a quite faster gpu. Also it has touch controls and all other 3DS bells and whistles. The only thing that won't be emulated will be the 3D effect, not exactly its most loved feature... Most play with it turned off anyway...

Since both the Vita and the 3DS use ARM cores, the cpu emulation performance hit will be low.

So IF and i say IF both consoles are hacked, there is the possibilty of a 3DS on Vita emulator. And it will be quite fast.

Remember that the original PSP was able to emulate the PS1 easily, because it used the same architecture of CPUs, MIPS. It could also emulate the N64, because the N64 also used a MIPS cpu. If only the PSP had more ram and a tad faster cpu, it could have been a wonderful N64 emulation machine. But the PSP couldn't emulate the DS even though it is not that much more powerful, and actually was weaker than the N64.

MegaAce™

Steal back your future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
In terms of hardware, Vita has 4 ARM cores(up to 2.0ghz), vastly more powerful than the 2 268mhz 3DS ARM cores. It has much more memory and a quite faster gpu. Also it has touch controls and all other 3DS bells and whistles.

Since both the Vita and the 3DS use ARM cores, the cpu emulation performance hit will be low.

So IF and i say IF both consoles are hacked, there is the possibilty of a 3DS on Vista emulator. And it will be quite fast.

Remember that the original PSP was able to emulate the PS1 easily, because it used the same architecture of CPUs, MIPS. It could also emulate the N64, because the N64 also used a MIPS cpu. If only the PSP had more ram and a tad faster cpu, it could have been a wonderful N64 emulation machine. But the PSP couldn't emulate the DS even though it is not that much more powerful, and actually was weaker than the N64.

What about the screen size? Ever thought about how that would look like?

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
What about the screen size? Ever thought about how that would look like?

Well they can display both screens side by side. Vita has a high resolution wide screen, so it will be possible.

Of course, no one said that this will be the same experience as the original 3DS. As is with most emulators, especially of quirky machines like the (3)DS with its dual screens. But if a Vita owner would like to experience some 3DS games without buying one, he could have the option to do it.

But this is purely speculation. The Vita isn't hacked yet, and the 3DS hacking is in its infancy. And if and when they get truly hacked, someone with enough free time and good programming skills will need to create a 3DS emulator for it, not an easy task since there are no other 3DS emulators and he will need to start from scratch. Emulators on PSP were mostly ported from PC, for example the SNES ones are based on Snes9x...

Enchilada

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
They're both in the early stages of hacking, and only the 3DS can run (3DS) backups.

There are is no 3DS or Vita homebrew...yet.

If you can't wait, then get a 3DS because you can play backups thanks to Gateway 3DS. However, the card was just released and it only works on firmware 4.5. They're still working to make it work with newer firmwares and to make it region-free. You need to buy an older 3DS if you plan to buy Gatewag because the new ones come with 5.0 or something.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn