Gaming Flipnote Studio on the DS

Neopath

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just wondering if it's technically feasible for someone to hack Flipbook Studio to run it on a DS Lite. Does it use the camera or whatnot that would make it impossible to run? Should we keep our hopes up?

otto888

I break things for a living.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm guessing no,since it does get data from the camera app,and if it doesn't see the data, it may crash/f*** up. and it uses the mic as a hidden feature.

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
Wouldn't work. Aside from the whole camera/microphone thing, it requires a proper internet connection (which only the DSi has) and I assume it doesn't use .sav files (since it can upload your flipnote animations to a website for viewing).

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There's homebrew animation alternatives, but they simply don't compare to flipnote.

And then flipnote uses a bunch of DSi functions like the camera, the internal memory, and importantly the SD slot.

...Hello hello, thinking, thinking, buffer overflow through hacked flipnote animation?

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah but with a homebrew of flipnote the guy could remove the camera stuff and make it work on in DS mode since it will be a homebrew it won't be the actual thing.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have a DSi and know nothing about how the app works, but I DO see Flipnote as truly the first really good DSi feature/app. I didn't know Flipnote used the camera. I thought you drew out every page of the flipnote vid on the touchscreen and then added sound after the vid was created. Any "camera pics" inserted into Flipnote I thought were just ones you already took before booting Flipnote. Like I said, I've seen nothing of the Flipnote app beyond the end-result vids.

Still, for the most part, I think a regular DS version of Flipnote could be made. So you don't have the camera part, big deal, you still have everything else. If some homebrewer came up with a veritable copy of Flipnote for the regular DS (sans DSi-specific features, of course), it would be a homebrew contest winner to be sure. Since it would be homebrew, it would be running on flashcarts and would have all the space it needed if it utilized slot2 carts for memory.

A DSlite/phat version could definitely be done, me thinks.

ca_michelbach

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It would be possible but it wouldn't have many of the features the DSi version has and would probably end up so different there'd be no point...you might as well use something like animatee or just use your computer

hyhfct

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It'll probably be pretty tough to make a Flipnote Studio for DS Lite...cause a lot of features would have to be taken out, like with the SD Card, the camera, then all we'll have left is the animating studio part...it's tough, but could be possible. Just don't know who can program it as a rom or application or whatever.

Bently

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's possible for N to make a DS Phat/Lite version of Flipnote, but I wouldn't see why they would bother.
Anyways, there are a bunch other homebrew apps similar to flipnote excluding the internet uploading and a few other things.

hyhfct

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bently said:
It's possible for N to make a DS Phat/Lite version of Flipnote, but I wouldn't see why they would bother.
Anyways, there are a bunch other homebrew apps similar to flipnote excluding the internet uploading and a few other things.

Actually, Flipnote looks better than the other programs (dunno what they are) since once you've made one frame and move on to the next, you can edit the image because the first image would also appear on the second frame. Flipnote has a good amount of features, and I'm sure a lot of people who don't own a DSi would appreciate if someone could make a modded-version of Flipnote Studio for DS Lite (as a rom or download.)

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

"Ugoku Memo Chau Viewer", (I'm not sure how it's actually spelt) is a Japanese DS Version of Flipnote Studio. It probably doesn't have any camera features and might require a special Slot-2 card to save the Flipnotes. It used to be available for download if you searched hard enough for it, but I've tried everything I could and it's not on the internet anymore.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Tarmfot
D

Deleted User

"Ugoku Memo Chau Viewer", (I'm not sure how it's actually spelt) is a Japanese DS Version of Flipnote Studio. It probably doesn't have any camera features and might require a special Slot-2 card to save the Flipnotes. It used to be available for download if you searched hard enough for it, but I've tried everything I could and it's not on the internet anymore.
Actually, I managed to find it!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: where are my cute girls