astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
You're joking. Right?
If you want my serious answer, it's that in real software, closed source has a purpose and a reason. In homebrew, however, there's almost never an excuse to write closed source software (there are maybe 1 or 2 exceptions I can think of, and none of them apply here).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

bro it's open source...
I know, I wasn't talking about this.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
If you want my serious answer, it's that in real software, closed source has a purpose and a reason. In homebrew, however, there's almost never an excuse to write closed source software (there are maybe 1 or 2 exceptions I can think of, and none of them apply here).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I know, I wasn't talking about this.
Eh, I'm of the opinion that if one doesn't want to share his code for whatever reason, there's absolutely nothing wrong about it. Even if the reason is so... crappy as "I don't want to bother uploading it".

Reactions: Joel16

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Eh, I'm of the opinion that if one doesn't want to share his code for whatever reason, there's absolutely nothing wrong about it. Even if the reason is so... crappy as "I don't want to bother uploading it".
The entire point of Homebrew is to break free of arbitrary restrictions on a console - creating closed source Homebrew is contrary to this purpose, as it stifles creativity and openness, and places you in a different arbitrarily locked system.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
The entire point of Homebrew is to break free of arbitrary restrictions on a console - creating closed source Homebrew is contrary to this purpose, as it stifles creativity and openness, and places you in a different arbitrarily locked system.
Again, one can make whatever they want, and share what they want to share. They don't owe anything to anyone. Not source code, nothing at all. Which is why I don't particularly care if something is open source or not. If it is of use to me, I'll use it. If not, I won't. That's about it, and that's my opinion on the subject. The point of something I write is that which I give it.

Anyway, get off-topic, I did.
Sorry about that.

Last edited by gnmmarechal,
Reactions: iAqua

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That said, I always planned to release the source from the start, this was just something I was curious about.

I think the curiosity has been satisfied, 70% (at least) of this thread has been a debate about closed source homebrew, forgetting this tool that has potential. In hindsight, it's an obvious outcome here.

Reactions: astronautlevel

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I was waiting for someone to figure this out haha. I was just playing around and was to curios to see how the community would react to another closed source homebrew. Well for one, you guys sure do seem careful as to what goes in to your 3DS after the whole unbanmii fiasco. But yeah, it's good that you're more careful about installing something regardless of who the developer is, but at the same time I'm not happy with it. Some developers (who are actually really good devs) tend to make their programs closed source like CEMU for example. Please don't view closed source as a bad thing just because one guy here messed around with it. That said, I always planned to release the source from the start, this was just something I was curious about.
So right, it's borring to see all that "CLOSED SOURCE DON'T DOWNLOAD !!!!!"
F'king paranoiac mans.
As he said, this is not because 1 guy messed around with a closed source software, that all closed sources software are bad.
If you think so, just stfu , delete Windows, Word, Winrar, all other popular closed source tools and go fo linux + shit tools like open office and only open source tools.
Breh...

Edit : I'm also going to use it, I have full trust in @Joel16

Last edited by Asia81,
Reactions: Joel16

thep3nc1lca5e

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
mirandacosgrove.com
XP
Country
So right, it's borring to see all that "CLOSED SOURCE DON'T DOWNLOAD !!!!!"
F'king paranoiac mans.
As he said, this is not because 1 guy messed around with a closed source software, that all closed sources software are bad.
If you think so, just stfu , delete Windows, Word, Winrar, all other popular closed source tools and go fo linux + shit tools like open office and only open source tools.
Breh...
No one uses OpenOffice anymore. Libreoffice is where it's at.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Reactions: MaK11-12

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just wanted to say thanks for the release OP. I'm also interested to see if it can eventually bypass the 100 friends limit (I trade a lot of pokemon Lol).

Also, is this becoming a new trend? That every time there is a new HomeBrew release the entire thread turns into a debate regarding the integrity because a few people are/were shitty? That's quite a stretch in my opinion Lol. I'll bet tons of you still let your kids Trick or Treat even though that one dude poisoned his own kid in the 70's (not a stranger); a lot of people are still checking their candy........

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No one uses OpenOffice anymore.

...What's wrong with OpenOffice? Suits me, simple, free, works, with my habits, I don't need anything more.

Also, is this becoming a new trend? That every time there is a new HomeBrew release the entire thread turns into a debate regarding the integrity because a few people are/were shitty?

I wouldn't say "new," felt like it's been happening since the beginning of this year.

thep3nc1lca5e

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
mirandacosgrove.com
XP
Country
...What's wrong with OpenOffice? Suits me, simple, free, works, with my habits, I don't need anything more.

Oh, really? Fair enough. I just kind of assumed libreoffice replaced openoffice a while ago, because I'm lazy and don't look into things I'm not fully interested in even if it ends up biting me in the ass later on.

GhostLatte

GBAtemp's Official Van Master™
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's funny to see entitled brats whining over homebrew software being closed source despite the 3DS scene not existing where it is today without the work of great devs like the OP.

Valery0p

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I remember that someone said, on a certain Luma issue, that using the friend interface launch a call-home function, sending to Nintendo even more informations than normal. I can't find the issue...maybe was something with a savedata editor?
Plz no new banwawe:unsure: @Joel16

Last edited by Valery0p,

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Uh, no. It can go both ways. Said transparency can give people a false sense of security because most people are going to think it's safe to use just because the source is open, but it takes the ability to read and understand code to know if it's safe. Honestly, open sourcing something malicious would probably lead to a higher infection rate. Open source code can be obfuscated as well, so there's that too. I don't think licensing prevents code obfuscation, but I could be wrong. But yeah, social engineering leads to more infections than 0days. It requires doing one's own research to determine if something is safe or not.
You only need 1 to understand the code to warn the rest. So open source is safer even if not every user could actually understand the code.

thep3nc1lca5e

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
mirandacosgrove.com
XP
Country
You only need 1 to understand the code to warn the rest. So open source is safer even if not every user could actually understand the code.
While this is mostly true, everyone would still have to trust the person who understands the code. Therefore you're pretty much putting as much trust into them as you are a closed source developer. Considering then that this dev is extremely trustworthy, having made 3dsident and 3dshell, it almost doesn't make a difference.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

TheMCNerd2017

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a few questions.

1) Does this replace the built-in Friends app?
2) Does this allow us to go over the annoying 100 friend limit?
3) Can Nintendo ban us for using this?

GRAnimated

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recommend you use have a menu where you can select a new friend code instead of your Nintendo one because whenever someone un-bans their self, they get the same friend code as someone else, if I remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: they be like which lite firefox exe pls