• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Fusion GPS testimony released, parts of Trump-Russia dossier confirmed by a Trump campaign source

• Thread starter Xzi
  • Start date
  • Views 11,405
  • Replies 210
  • Likes 1

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
lol we lived just fine before NN, obamacare and obama's regulations. we'll do fine without it. now my family and friends don't have to pay premiums out their asses for insurence nor have to serve time for not being able to pay for their kids insurence when they already paid out their asses. there's that chicken little syndrome XD not sure if you know or not but that's what presidents do..they change things, just like obama changed rules and regulations that bush made. do you even politic?
Bush actually made his own policy/legislative changes for better or worse, yes. Trump had one legislative accomplishment in 2017, and it was corporate welfare authored by Congress. The rest has been unilateral executive orders to tear down what others have created (GWB's Somalia refugees included), not anything that Trump himself has created.

When you make GWB look like a moderate, that's not a good thing.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: StarTrekVoyager

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not a lie. They (friends AND family) were forced to get insurence for themselves, their wives and their kids. They worked offshore and IF they didn't pay for it, they'd have been locked up or highly fined for penalties. Mhm, that's it, I said NN because it was under obama's regulations.
They wouldn't have been locked up, they just would have been fined a percentage of their income: http://www.savingtoinvest.com/penalties-for-not-having-health-insurance-under-obamacare/. Which, they still will if they don't have insurance

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which is dumb and should be removed. There shouldn't be penalties for not having insurance.
It has to be there for the ACA to work, unless we move to true single-payer. If everybody isn't paying into the pot, then there won't be money to give to people who are trying to actually use the insurance

And besides, the fees are less than paying for the insurance, anyway

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It has to be there for the ACA to work, unless we move to true single-payer. If everybody isn't paying into the pot, then there won't be money to give to people who are trying to actually use the insurance

And besides, the fees are less than paying for the insurance, anyway
They shouldn't be there at all. People who choose to not have insurance/can't afford it should not be forced into paying for other people's insurance. Full stop. I don't care how nice ACA might be.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They shouldn't be there at all. People who choose to not have insurance/can't afford it should not be forced into paying for other people's insurance. Full stop. I don't care how nice ACA might be.
I'd really hope that people would be able to afford to pay 2.5% of their income, considering that's the value that's used. And as far as I'm aware, people who fall under a certain income range don't have to pay a fee, they're just able to enroll into the system

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

No one should die because his Gofundme was 50 dollars short of being able to afford life saving medicine.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No one should die because his Gofundme was 50 dollars short of being able to afford life saving medicine.
And when you make it so that money has to come from people who can't afford insurance/don't want to buy it, you are not actually tackling the fucking problem, you're encouraging it.

"I want to charge shittons of money for life saving medicines because I'm a cunt" is a problem. The solution is not "Okay, I will take money from everyone to fund your cunt behaviors." The solution is "No, this is life saving medicine and you have no right to jack up the prices."

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And when you make it so that money has to come from people who can't afford insurance/don't want to buy it, you are not actually tackling the fucking problem, you're encouraging it.

"I want to charge shittons of money for life saving medicines because I'm a cunt" is a problem. The solution is not "Okay, I will take money from everyone to fund your cunt behaviors." The solution is "No, this is life saving medicine and you have no right to jack up the prices."
I can agree with that. The amount of money that goes into the single-payer pot should ideally be a percentage of income (preferably on an exponential or linear slider as income increases). Could even just come straight out of income tax as long as tax brackets are fixed

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can agree with that. The amount of money that goes into the single-payer pot should ideally be a percentage of income (preferably on an exponential or linear slider as income increases). Could even just come straight out of income tax as long as tax brackets are fixed
I don't really know of a solution that's fair to everyone and won't piss a significant chunk of people off. On one hand, the medicines should cost money as both payment to the researchers as well as to cover the costs of the research itself. The medical industry creates important, life saving medicines that should be rewarded, but at the same time people who jack up the prices just to make bank off insurance companies and people desperate for it are fucking tools. It's a difficult debate to have because, I personally feel anyways, there's no proper solution that makes everyone happy.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
*blank stare*

We... don't really have to think about basic healthcare costs at all here. Other stuff like Dental is another story, but it's covered through my work so I only pay ~$100 or less for fillings and cleanings.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*blank stare*

We... don't really have to think about basic healthcare costs at all here. Other stuff like Dental is another story, but it's covered through my work so I only pay ~$100 or less for fillings and cleanings.

But.. But.. Don't you know! You're healthcare is so bad that so many die every day! You all come down to the USA to get heath care. (No.. I'm not being serious.. but that's actually the argument a lot of people use.)

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really know of a solution that's fair to everyone and won't piss a significant chunk of people off. On one hand, the medicines should cost money as both payment to the researchers as well as to cover the costs of the research itself. The medical industry creates important, life saving medicines that should be rewarded, but at the same time people who jack up the prices just to make bank off insurance companies and people desperate for it are fucking tools. It's a difficult debate to have because, I personally feel anyways, there's no proper solution that makes everyone happy.
Ideally you would just have a government-backed insurance program that automatically covers emergency operations and pre-existing conditions that require medication, while (at the very least loosely) regulating the maximum price of life-saving or changing drugs. Then you could allow the free market to offer more tailored plans that can be modularly added on top of the single-payer plan. That's what I could see making everyone happy; the free market remains intact, but nobody would have to pay out the ass to go to the hospital

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Too many Shkrelis of the world. We need to regulate drug prices, even if that means you can only charge 2x the cost of the drug. This 5x to 10x stuff is out of control.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*blank stare*

We know. The conservative party just has a boner for capitalism down here in the good ole US of A

Reactions: Xzi

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While all these people die, us French are enjoying our free healthcare system that was voted by De Gaulle, a conservative :P
Also, all of this crap is why I love being at LaREM and a proud centrist.
You definitely wouldn't be a centrist by US standards, you'd actually be pretty left-wing here

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: