Gaming Gamecube with Family Edition Wii?

SablePlays

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I've been searching around for awhile, looking at different posts on different websites, trying to figure out a couple things, and found different answers for each thing, so I wanted to make a post about it and get a solid answer on them :)

First off, for a family edition wii, can it read gamecube discs? I've had some people say "ofc it can read them, there's just no ports" and others say "it just spits the disc back out, no support for the discs".

Second off, (and I have no experience with any of the terminology I've seen people use so I'm pretty much clueless here) is it possible to attach a gamecube controller to a family edition wii without soldering the ports back on, if it even has the holes for them?

Note - I saw this video on how to play gamecube games with Nintendont and a mayflash adapter on a family edition (youtube(dot)com/watch?v=JLbYg9oh7jU), but to add on to this. Assuming the family edition can read gamecube discs, would this allow you to play those gamecube discs with gamecube controllers? Or would it be restricted to the emulated games from Nintendont?

I have experience with dolphin and the mayflash adapters, but that's about it xD

One other thing - does anyone know how compatible these are? Like, can I plug it in and expect to go and play any wii game w/ my gamecube controller? Or to play any gamecube game (emulated from nintendont, or from a disc - assuming that the Family Edition can read discs)? amazon(dot)com/Mayflash-GameCube-Controller-Adapter-Wii-Nintendo/dp/B00YH3NWTW

Thank you for your time,

Sable

aarti

Killua Zoldyck
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
family edition wii, can it read gamecube discs

yes(, but you need a gamecube controller and a memory card to play the game(nintendont can emulate these things))

is it possible to attach a gamecube controller to a family edition wii without soldering the ports

on the top of the wii are 4 ports for gamecube controllers

Last edited by aarti,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I've been searching around for awhile, looking at different posts on different websites, trying to figure out a couple things, and found different answers for each thing, so I wanted to make a post about it and get a solid answer on them :)

First off, for a family edition wii, can it read gamecube discs? I've had some people say "ofc it can read them, there's just no ports" and others say "it just spits the disc back out, no support for the discs".

Second off, (and I have no experience with any of the terminology I've seen people use so I'm pretty much clueless here) is it possible to attach a gamecube controller to a family edition wii without soldering the ports back on, if it even has the holes for them?

Note - I saw this video on how to play gamecube games with Nintendont and a mayflash adapter on a family edition (youtube(dot)com/watch?v=JLbYg9oh7jU), but to add on to this. Assuming the family edition can read gamecube discs, would this allow you to play those gamecube discs with gamecube controllers? Or would it be restricted to the emulated games from Nintendont?

I have experience with dolphin and the mayflash adapters, but that's about it xD

One other thing - does anyone know how compatible these are? Like, can I plug it in and expect to go and play any wii game w/ my gamecube controller? Or to play any gamecube game (emulated from nintendont, or from a disc - assuming that the Family Edition can read discs)? amazon(dot)com/Mayflash-GameCube-Controller-Adapter-Wii-Nintendo/dp/B00YH3NWTW

Thank you for your time,

Sable
Using Nintendon’t, you can load GameCube games off of disc as well as USB and SD. You can also emulate a memory card which will allow you to save your game without a real one, and if you have a classice controller for your wii, you can also use that instead of a GameCube controller. That way you can play GameCube on your Family Edition Wii without GC ports.

SablePlays

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes(, but you need a gamecube controller and a memory card to play the game(nintendont can emulate these things))

on the top of the wii are 4 ports for gamecube controllers
The family edition wii has no ports, and the disc compatibility has been made very unclear by previous posts, which is why I'm confused on how to do this all :)

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The family edition wii has no ports, and the disc compatibility has been made very unclear by previous posts, which is why I'm confused on how to do this all :)
They may or may not be blocked at the drive level

You will need to use Nintendont for its memory card emulation feature and most likely for usb/sd loading, if you want to use an original controller you can use the WiiU gamecube to usb adapter, if substitutes are fine nunchuk, classic controller (including Gamecube-shaped ones), and most PS3/PS4/PC usb controllers will work

SablePlays

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using Nintendon’t, you can load GameCube games off of disc as well as USB and SD. You can also emulate a memory card which will allow you to save your game without a real one, and if you have a classice controller for your wii, you can also use that instead of a GameCube controller. That way you can play GameCube on your Family Edition Wii without GC ports.
So getting it to read gamecube discs is possible, but how would I get gamecube controllers to connect without soldering any ports on or anything like that? In the video I mentioned he connected a mayflash adapter which I happen to have (I use it for dolphin on pc), but would that be compatible with some specific application he had, or would it work with all of nintendont, including the gamecube discs? I'm very unfamiliar with what exactly nintendont is as well, which is the reason for several of these questions xD :)

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So getting it to read gamecube discs is possible, but how would I get gamecube controllers to connect without soldering any ports on or anything like that? In the video I mentioned he connected a mayflash adapter which I happen to have (I use it for dolphin on pc), but would that be compatible with some specific application he had, or would it work with all of nintendont, including the gamecube discs? I'm very unfamiliar with what exactly nintendont is as well, which is the reason for several of these questions xD :)
If there are isb ports on the console, look up “USB to Gamecube controller” and you should find an adapter to plug in GC controllers to your wii. If not, purchase/get a wii classic controller and use that.

SablePlays

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They may or may not be blocked at the drive level

You will need to use Nintendont for its memory card emulation feature and most likely for usb/sd loading, if you want to use an original controller you can use the WiiU gamecube to usb adapter, if substitutes are fine nunchuk, classic controller (including Gamecube-shaped ones), and most PS3/PS4/PC usb controllers will work
So, using nintendont, it's completely possible to use a gamecube controller, with say a mayflash adapter, to play gamecube games, even off of a gamecube disc, keeping in mind that this is on a Family Edition Black Wii model?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
even off of a gamecube disc
That's the only debatable part (it depends on whether the drive in your console is physically able to read GC minidvds, the WiiU drive isn't, don't recall anyone reporting on a Gamecube-less Wii), everything else in your question is true

SablePlays

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If there are isb ports on the console, look up “USB to Gamecube controller” and you should find an adapter to plug in GC controllers to your wii. If not, purchase/get a wii classic controller and use that.
Ok. I already have an adapter, but will that work with nintendont, specifically on the Family Edition?

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IIRC you can't actually use Gamecube discs in a family edition Wii. They have something in the drive that blocks them from being inserted. There's a thread here somewhere that explains how to modify the drive to allow it or you can swap the drive out with one from an older Wii. It will play them if you can get them in the drive, though.

SablePlays

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the only debatable part (it depends on whether the drive in your console is physically able to read GC minidvds, the WiiU drive isn't, don't recall anyone reporting on a Gamecube-less Wii), everything else in your question is true
Well the issue about the wii is that it truly is gamecube-less. The Family Edition is known for having its ports removed, but I cannot get a solid answer from someone who owns one on if it can read the discs. See, I'm not doing this for my own wii or else I'd just go downstairs and test it, but rather trying to figure out how to do it, so I can do it on a friend's wii, but since it's his, it's not readily available for me to test things on. If this helps the model is RXL-101, rather than the white wii's, which are RXL-001. My question is, since Supergamer said
Using Nintendon’t, you can load GameCube games off of disc as well as USB and SD
, will that work with the family edition? And if it doesn't, then what's the point of Nintendon't being able to read gamecube games since the old wii could already do that XD :)

SablePlays

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IIRC you can't actually use Gamecube discs in a family edition Wii. They have something in the drive that blocks them from being inserted. There's a thread here somewhere that explains how to modify the drive to allow it or you can swap the drive out with one from an older Wii. It will play them if you can get them in the drive, though.
Do you recall the name of the thread? I have 2 wii's, one that has a broken disc reader (I'm assuming that is the same thing as the drive, but I'm not sure) and the other that I just got yesterday and still need to test if it is in functioning condition, so if the drive isn't dependent upon it's original disc reader then I can most likely swap it for sure, and if it is, then I may be able to depending on if the 2nd wii I have works :)

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the issue about the wii is that it truly is gamecube-less. The Family Edition is known for having its ports removed, but I cannot get a solid answer from someone who owns one on if it can read the discs. See, I'm not doing this for my own wii or else I'd just go downstairs and test it, but rather trying to figure out how to do it, so I can do it on a friend's wii, but since it's his, it's not readily available for me to test things on. If this helps the model is RXL-101, rather than the white wii's, which are RXL-001. My question is, since Supergamer said
, will that work with the family edition? And if it doesn't, then what's the point of Nintendon't being able to read gamecube games since the old wii could already do that XD :)
It should, but from what I’m seeing you can’t even insert the discs into the Wii. The purpose of Nintendon’t being able to read GC discs is to allow users to play without a physical memory card or GC controller. You’re gonna have to dump the iso off of the disc (don’t know how to do that) and put it on SD/USB. You need some kinda special DVD drive for that. Or, you could mod the disc drive in your wii (don’t know how to do that either)

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If this helps the model is RXL-101, rather than the white wii's, which are RXL-001
RVL, I hope? Yep, 101 just means the redesigned horizontal model :)

And if it doesn't, then what's the point of Nintendon't being able to read gamecube games since the old wii could already do that XD
Exactly the ability to use something different from physical minidvds, gamecube controllers, and gamecube memory cards! And cheats if you want to...
(From a technical point of view, they run in Wii mode: it's comparable to a virtual machine)
Running GC games from SD/USB will definitely work regardless of drive compatibility!

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you recall the name of the thread? I have 2 wii's, one that has a broken disc reader (I'm assuming that is the same thing as the drive, but I'm not sure) and the other that I just got yesterday and still need to test if it is in functioning condition, so if the drive isn't dependent upon it's original disc reader then I can most likely swap it for sure, and if it is, then I may be able to depending on if the 2nd wii I have works :)

I'm looking for the thread but it's been a while since someone posted in it so it's buried. I think it was in the Wii hardware forum. It involves cutting off or bending a metal tab in the console's DVD drive so the disc will fit I think.

Sathya

GBAtemp Professional Poetry maker
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Nintendont can also play GC cd games.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
My nephew has a black Wii Family Edition (Super Mario Bros Wii Edition), it has no NGC controller ports and it doesn't read NGC discs, even though both disc images/icons appear on the disk menu. When trying to load a NGC disc it shows a message saying that no disk was found (the NGC discs are OK, I can play them on my NGC without issues).

Using Nintendont you can play most NGC games, and you can use many USB HID controller attached on the back of the Wii.

Myself, I have a red Wii, and it is backwards compatible, so then that means it has four NGC controller ports and two NGC memory card ports, and also, it reads NGC game discs just fine. I use Nintendont to play my games (NGC and Wii, and some emulators), using a NGC controller. That's the best setup I've ever had to non handheld emulation.

Sathya

GBAtemp Professional Poetry maker
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
My nephew has a black Wii Family Edition (Super Mario Bros Wii Edition), it has no NGC controller ports and it doesn't read NGC discs, even though both disc images/icons appear on the disk menu. When trying to load a NGC disc it shows a message saying that no disk was found (the NGC discs are OK, I can play them on my NGC without issues).

Using Nintendont you can play most NGC games, and you can use many USB HID controller attached on the back of the Wii.

Myself, I have a red Wii, and it is backwards compatible, so then that means it has four NGC controller ports and two NGC memory card ports, and also, it reads NGC game discs just fine. I use Nintendont to play my games (NGC and Wii, and some emulators), using a NGC controller. That's the best setup I've ever had to non handheld emulation.
because you buy a wii edition 2012, no GC ports. and you cannot play gc games because your wii dosent have a GC player chip. but maybe you can try to use nintendont

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended