ROM Hack GBA Auto Trainer Maker(GBAATM)

ethanwdp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been trying to get this work for two days now, to no avail. My case is a little different here, I am editing a Pokemon Emerald ROM which I then convert to a .CIA and use on my AL9H Luma 11.2 3DS. I have to keep the game in RAM (which boils down to launching a luma decrypt9 payload while booting) so that I can inject my backed up saves from my non-edited Emerald into the new edited one.
The ROM and the .CIA themselves work fine, seeing as with the unedited one I managed to get to the 7th gym before deciding that I wanted to speed up the grinding process a bit. However, the edited one does launch successfully but the cheats do not toggle (spamming, holding, etc R+A [the cheat toggle code] while the Pokemon is defeated and the EXP gain screen appears does not grant the 5000 EXP).
My next step was to try the trainer menu. Again, it launches fine (directly into the trainer menu, in fact), but now there is a new problem - the saves won't inject. The process that worked perfectly before (starting the game, going to the home menu the moment it boots, opening homebrew launcher, pressing start and A to reboot and then immediately holding down the decrypt9 payload button, then injecting the save) no longer works. I have tried many, many, many variations of the edit but I just can't get it to work. Either the cheats don't work at all or when they seemingly take effect I cannot test them because the bloody save doesn't inject.
With each variation, I have uninstalled the previous CIA, patched the ROM with GBAATM, generated a footer of the patched ROM with 3DS GBA Footer Generator V0.2d, generated a CIA from the patched ROM by using 3DS Simple GBA Converter, and then installing the new CIA with FBI. Also, due to how Nintendo's virtual console works, the GBA splash screen does not appear, which may explain why I'm not getting the crashes reported by others in the thread seeing as the GBA splash screen reportedly worked as an anti-cheater method.

Variations I have tried:
Trainer AND trainer menu unchecked, enable checked, default enable keybinds used (L+R+A to enable, L+R+B to disable), enable on start checked, RAM address 0x3007FA0. The cheat (holding down R+A when the EXP gained screen would appear) does nothing. No crash, nada.

The exact same setup as above, but with the RAM address set to 0x3007FC0. Looking at previous posts, another user reportedly had Emerald work perfectly for him by using the default 0x3007FA0, so I don't think it's a RAM address issue.

Trainer AND trainer menu checked, enable unchecked, RAM address 0x3007FA0. Trainer menu works and appears at startup. For whatever reason GBA VC Save Injection simply doesn't work, maybe because the trainer menu is interrupting something at boot? I dunno. Either way, I couldn't easily test if the cheat worked, since the save would not inject and I had nothing to test on.

Trainer checked, trainer menu unchecked, enable checked, default enable keybinds used (L+R+A to enable, L+R+B to disable), enable on start checked, RAM address 0x3007FA0. Same thing as before - nothing works.

Trainer checked, trainer menu unchecked, enable unchecked, RAM address 0x3007FA0. Same thing as before - nothing works.

Trainer AND trainer menu unchecked, enable checked, default enable keybinds used (L+R+A to enable, L+R+B to disable), enable on start checked, RAM address 0x3007FA0. Same result, nothing works.

The desired code is this:
[M] Must Be On
9266FA6C 97BD
905B5ED3 5F81
B76A68E5 FAB1

5000 XP
A744170A A996
9B540825 258E

I used CBAcrypt to decrypt it into CB:

[M] Must Be On
9266FA6C 97BD
00006FA7 000A
102DFA10 0007
Lots of XP
74000130 02FE
820241F0 1388

With every variation, I have done a variation ON that variation in which I try to use the CB code that I got from CBAcrypt and the non-decrypted code that I lifted off of gamefaqs. And yes, I have tried to Google codebreaker codes, but for whatever goddamn reason it keeps bringing up action replay and gameshark (non-SP/non-V3) threads which are specifically mentioned on the site to be action replay/gameshark.

Either I'm doing something wrong, or, well, I'm doing something wrong I guess. I'm here because my Google searches for '3ds gba cia cheats' brought me to this GBAtemp post in which people in a very similar situation managed to get cheats to work by simply patching the ROM that they're converting to .CIA. Despite the fact they're most likely using it for completely different games, the fact that the process that I'm attempting works for other people points towards an error on my part. And, seeing as how Pokemon Emerald has reportedly worked for a user who has posted in this thread, I do not believe that it is a game-specific issue.

So, to boil this lengthy post down, here's what's happening: patch ROM with gbaatm > make footer from patched rom > make CIA from footer and patched rom > move that CIA from PC to SD card > put SD card back in 3DS and uninstall the old CIA with FBI > install the new CIA with FBI > launch game > press home button and return to home menu when game boots > go into homebrew launcher (which is on my home menu) > press start, press A, hold down X (the payload button) > wait for decrypt9 to load > go into sysNAND options, miscellaneous, GBA save inject, inject relevant save > press start to reboot once done > launch game.

With trainer menu patched in, there must be something funky going on with the memory. Seeing as decrypt9 relies on the game still being in memory when injecting the save (hence the convoluted reboot method to prevent the memory from being purged), and seeing that the only time the save doesn't inject is when I have the trainer menu patched in (despite getting a success message when injecting it, when launching the game the save itself is not there), and also seeing as cheats appear to be toggled off by default (again, seeing as how the trainer menu always lists the XP cheat as being off when I first start the game), while also seeing that there is no way to toggle the cheat on if the only toggle option I can see in this program is the one that toggles the bloody trainer itself, I'm starting to wonder what the hell is going on here.

I realize that this thread is almost a decade old (luckily for me the last response was from a month ago, so I don't think this counts as a necro), and truth be told I doubt I'll receive an answer giving this threads age and the inactiveness of the author (which I can't blame him for, since again this thread is over eight years old). But hey, might as well, right?

Lord M

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You dont need master code anyway (i have fire red on gpsp and master codes dont work, and in fact i cant use wild pokemon finder because need the second master code).
Anyway the normal codes works, but only CB raw codes that start with 7 (joker command), 8, 3 (with 0 dont work, this is why master code dont work).
Another note, try by holding the toggle combo right before you receive the exp (not the trainer enabler. For instance: i have trainer enabler on/off with R+right/left, and then, if i hold R i have always critical hit, but only by holding the button after hit the enemy and until his hp bar start to low)

dollerbill

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone have a working version of Final Fantasy VI they've managed to patch? I've been trying for a few days but can't get it working without causing the game to freeze anytime I activate the trainer

Nightwinter

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
This works flawlessly!! It would be awesome to polish this trainer maker into a better more modern one xD (with tabs for the cheats and like making a button combo per cheat and all that, like the cheats from R4 flashcards) or even implement this to work with 3DS .cias games. It would be awesome!, thanks @cracker to make me play again those annoying but fun games of the GBA, but now with a little help ;3

Last edited by Nightwinter,

KomasterXX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
Tried with Megaman Battle Network 6: Cybeast Falzar (japanese Version); activating the trainer only gives me a black screen : (

The game saves, plays flawlessly, but the trainer itself does not activate. I also tried the recommended RAM addresses.

Edit: Nvm, got it to work! Great work.

Last edited by KomasterXX,

charrison

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cracker, you are a genius, I thought we would never be able to play gba games, WITH CHEATS, on vbagx for WII , we don't need to now, just make our own modified _oms with GBAATM. Sick of waiting for NEVER to come on the creator of vbagx to create cheat capabilities, whatever his name was. Now we are playing great old games that were too hard to beat before and with higher than 50% success rate creating,due to codes on the internet that are wrong, thank you!

leo60228

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if this thread is still active, but I'm working on a tool that will need to integrate cheats into a ROM. Is there source code available for the Codebreaker functionality (not the menu, just the codes)? If not, can I try to reverse engineer it, or will I have to make it from scratch?

Lord M

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So Slide code type (4) doesn't work, uhm?
I've tried All Chips code in Battle Netwoek 4 (i tried on VBA and cheats works correctly), but in GBAATM it delete all my chips...

The cheats is this:

42000670 0000
000000BC 0002
42002704 FFFF
00000016 0002
42005AE0 4747
000000B0 0002
420028D4 6363
00000136 000C
420028D6 6363
00000136 000C

KomasterXX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
So Slide code type (4) doesn't work, uhm?
I've tried All Chips code in Battle Netwoek 4 (i tried on VBA and cheats works correctly), but in GBAATM it delete all my chips...

The cheats is this:

42000670 0000
000000BC 0002
42002704 FFFF
00000016 0002
42005AE0 4747
000000B0 0002
420028D4 6363
00000136 000C
420028D6 6363
00000136 000C

Hi Lord, GBAATM only uses code breaker codes as far as I know. The cheat you used is a game shark code, thereby incompatible.

Lord M

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi Lord, GBAATM only uses code breaker codes as far as I know. The cheat you used is a game shark code, thereby incompatible.
But its CodeBreaker/ GameShark SP, and from this version i took this code from Gamehacking.org...

And:
http://doc.kodewerx.org/hacking_gba.html#cba

CodeBreaker Advance
4aaaaaaa yyyy
zzzzxxxx iiii
Slide code
0aaaaaaa is the starting address and yyyy is the starting value. xxxx is the number of repetitions with zzzz being the value increment and iiii being the address increment.

Last edited by Lord M,

Rokku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having a lot of trouble with running games patched with GBAATM on an EZ4...

The games behave as follows:
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga: Crashes with a white screen after the Game Boy Player screen.
Mega Man Battle Network: Crashes with a black screen after the trainer screen.
Mega Man Battle Network 2: Works, but with immense slowdown.
Mega Man Battle Network 3 Blue: Crashes with a white screen after the trainer screen.
Mega Man Battle Network 4 Red Sun: Works, but with graphical glitches
Mega Man Battle Network 6 Gregar: The game works but there's a strange bug where trying to edit the chip folder results in opening the email screen instead.
Mega Man Zero 2: Crashes after the intro, once you get to gameplay.
Mega Man Zero 3: Crashes after the intro, once you get to gameplay.

I used mostly CodeBreaker codes, which are supposed to work...so what can I do?

Hylianzero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having some issues with Golden Sun. Loading the patched ROM results in a white screen with no advancement at all. Not sure what I'm doing wrong with this one considering the success I've had with other games so far.

Wrongnut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Latyana

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use long codes but that code won't work because it is an AR style code. Unfortunately, there isn't a CB code for it. I haven't played this game in so long so I forget if you can become Super Sonic if you have the chaos and the keys. It's worth a try. CB codes
how would i use these codes in the GBAATM?? and how would someone get a master code to work in this? i keep getting no irq's found error. can't get master code to do properly i guess. anyone know any of this ?? please let me know.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended