ROM Hack [GBA] Minish Cap Hacking

FeitX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, I apologize in advance for not posting in the proper section for I cannot seem to find a "GBA" section in these forums despite the website is called "GBA"TEMP, no offense.

I would like to know if are there any documentation, method, guide, tutorial, or even way to make The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap's sidequest regarding Gregal be persistent and be accessible even after reaching the Cloud Tops? From what I can gather, this can be achieved by either using a cheat code or hacking the ROM entirely. If this can be achieved then I would like to ask for someone's assistance in the problem at hand, or if not then I recede. Thank you.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Moved to the relevant section, most use the new posts thing anyway so that is not so bad.

I can't remember the specifics of this quest. Two main options I would expect
1) Simple flag
2) Duplicate map

The flag would likely be a simple part of RAM the game checks when entering the place (set by either having an item or generally in the game) and removes the quest accordingly.
Multiple solutions here including
Force the flag with a cheat
Disable the check (in higher level languages it would be an IF ELSE arrangement, in assembly it is more like a cmp and branch/jmp).

Both can be integrated into the ROM easily enough, the former if you don't want to do it manually then GBAATM should be able to do it. The latter... if you have done it you have literally built it into the ROM.

2) Possibly still a flag based arrangement, however rather than adding a option to the level devs have been known to duplicate the basic level and build it back up and force that to be loaded instead.
Two main options to sort this
i) duplicate it on the new level by level editing
ii) fiddle with flags again as per the thing above, and possibly have whatever fallout ensues if something else has changed and needs to be found.

In any case the fixes, save perhaps level editing, won't require any major work and skills but compared to a more conventional entry into this world of a finding an infinite health/ammo/mana cheat (you can always change health and ammo to make finding its location easier, here you either have to drill down with something like https://www.romhacking.net/documents/361/ or get very lucky with the cheat finder) it is going to be harder.

FeitX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would anybody be willing to tackle this? I am not skilled enough to *do* something on my own. I mean on the "Force the flag with a cheat" part and not on the overly exhaustive modifying the ROM part. I can however understand how this goes but lacks the ability to make something that will make it work.

I had tried dumping the WRAM and IRAM; on before tackling the event and after the event has been finished, and as far as comparisons can see, there are too much byte differences to make something out of the dumps that I had made. I had also tried Room Modifier cheats but still the event is missing, leading to my understanding that this might be, as you may have guessed it, a flag related issue.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM