Emulation GBA Music Riper Help

Johnny2071

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having trouble ripping music to a specific game. When I did the command prompt for gba_mus_riper (and dragged the rom file), I got "no sound engine was found". How do I rip music from the game now?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What is the game?

Not all games use the sappy sound format which most tools for GBA audio ripping are built for, and occasionally the game devs might have stretched what the sappy sound engine normally did and that frustrates some tools. A variety of alternative audio formats have been seen (everything from tracker/sequenced formats to somewhat close to the hardware formats), some of them are known and can be worked with but many are unknown and you might have to learn to hack to get them out, else use an emulator and loop back the audio or something.

Johnny2071

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the game?

Not all games use the sappy sound format which most tools for GBA audio ripping are built for, and occasionally the game devs might have stretched what the sappy sound engine normally did and that frustrates some tools. A variety of alternative audio formats have been seen (everything from tracker/sequenced formats to somewhat close to the hardware formats), some of them are known and can be worked with but many are unknown and you might have to learn to hack to get them out, else use an emulator and loop back the audio or something.

The two games I'm having trouble with are:

-Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo: 9 Kyoku Senshi Gyagu Yuugou
-Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo: Bakuto Hajike Taisen

Are there other sound engines out there other than SAPPY?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, though it appears my bookmarks are failing me at this point for specific links. To the best of my knowledge most of the non sappy stuff was only used on a couple of games so it is not "if it is not sappy it is probably *".

If you need audio hardware information then http://belogic.com/gba/ is the main place people start (navigation at the top of the screen) and of course http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm has good stuff.

For the formats some you will find are classic high level formats like mod and xm, others were built for the GBA and others were cobbled together to sort of just about work or be like another system a dev knew.

You can use emulators as well, and also do things like mute sound effects with via channels or in the game itself (there is a large difference between understanding the full audio format and making it so a few sound effects don't play and you can then rip whatever you need via a simple record/loop back affair).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
    S @ salazarcosplay: does update 19 really block it