Gaming GBA (Not SP) No sound from speakers

Oddiology

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I recently just purchased an original Game Boy Advance, and everything worked perfectly, it turned on and the sound was being output from the speakers.

However, once I decided to test out the headphone jack, the speakers just stopped working when I took the headphones out. I've tried fiddling with the little volume dial, but nothing.

What the hell happened? Thing's still usuable since I can just use headphones, but speakers would be nice. Does anyone know how to go about fixing this?

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's still registering something in the headphones port. Cleaning it always helps. Also, repeatedly inserting and removing the jack helps, twisting it as you remove it.

Oddiology

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's still registering something in the headphones port. Cleaning it always helps. Also, repeatedly inserting and removing the jack helps, twisting it as you remove it.

Erm, that hasn't seemed to have done anything. I've tried cleaning out the inside of the jack with a cotton swab and I've plugged in my headphones in and out plenty of times.

Got any more suggestions?

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it for every game or just with one cartridge? Clean the cartridge slot's contacts. The only thing I got left is cotton swab with isopropyl alcohol or Remington oil or some solvent for metal. Lastly, it's always a possibility that the speaker itself is dead or disconnected from the motherboard, and needs replaced.

Todderbert

Korg Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like your headphone jack is busted or gummed up. There is a switch in there that tells the MB to to turn off the external speaker when a cable is plugged in. I had this happen to me on an old DMG and even after cleaning it found no fix other then replacing the jack or MB.

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree, there must be some corrosion or something that was in the jack. When you insert the headphones, the foreign matter got shoved into the jack, shorting the speaker out and now your headphones can’t be inserted properly. I’d tear half the cotton off of a qtip and dip that in alcohol, then put that in the jack. Maybe get help from tooth picks as well. Clean it as best you can. Maybe expose the motherboard to get a better angle in the jack.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nah I can still go for totinos