GBAtemp Bounty 2017 Winners Announcement

gbatemp_bounty_2017.png

Thanks to everyone who entered the GBAtemp Bounty for 2017. There were some great entries and here are the winners:

#1 @Voxel - GPD Pocket - Entry
#2 @cracker - $100 Amazon Gift Card - Entry
#3 @Dr.Hacknik - $50 Amazon Gift Card - Entry
#4 @Asia81 - $25 Amazon Gift Card - Entry
#5 @newo - $25 Amazon Gift Card - Entry

Special thanks goes to our GBAtemp Patrons and GamePad Digital

:arrow:Support GBAtemp on Patreon
:arrow:GPD Pocket on indiegogo
:arrow:GPD on AliExpress

Maq47

Lord of Pyro
Trophies
Website
idont.have.one
XP
Country
United States
I wanted to join at first, but after seeing some of the initial projects being posted, I decided to sit back and watch this one. Congratulations to the winners! Enjoy your GPD Pocket, @Voxel !

P.S. - @Asia81, your project was technically started as 'HackingToolkit3DS', and evolved into what it is now. It originally used notable tools from OTHER hackers, though, and was only an all-in-one command line app for 3DS romhacking. I see that you decided to make your own versions of some of the apps used in your original toolkit, and removed all third party apps, so that you could use it as an entry in the Bounty. I am dumbfounded that this granted you the 4th place prize despite it being a rehash of an existing project. Did you give the mods a little 'coaxing' to achieve this? Are you secretly 'paying off' the mods for the prize by doing 'favors', or are you just a 'favorite' of the mods for some reason? I smell a conspiracy afoot! xD
In all seriousness, good job, and congratulations!

Last edited by Maq47,

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
P.S. - @Asia81, your project was technically started as 'HackingToolkit3DS', and evolved into what it is now. It originally used notable tools from OTHER hackers, though, and was only an all-in-one command line app for 3DS romhacking. I see that you decided to make your own versions of some of the apps used in your original toolkit, and removed all third party apps, so that you could use it as an entry in the Bounty. I am dumbfounded that this granted you the 4th place prize despite it being a rehash of an existing project.

I'm not sure if you try to start a drama and if I have to take it in a wrong way, but I'll try to answer before ->

Your project was technically started as 'HackingToolkit3DS', and evolved into what it is now.
Yes, I renamed 3DS to 9DS in the name to make reference to the boot9 keys, which are used since V10 to extract and rebuild encrypted games (3DS and CIA), with no need to decrypt them anymore, like it was the case before with Decrypt9 or GodMode9.

It originally used notable tools from OTHER hackers, though, and was only an all-in-one command line app for 3DS romhacking.
? And it is always the case here.

I see that you decided to make your own versions of some of the apps used in your original toolkit, and removed all third party apps, so that you could use it as an entry in the Bounty.
Not really. What I removed was extra tools and not-needed at all, take them as a bonus, like 3DS Builder or RomFS Extractor, which are deprecated for a while, and to lower the size of the final release pack. I always use what you call "notable tools" (and they are, indeed!). It's ctrtool, 3dstool, and makerom. I never claimed they are my work, and I always gave credits for them, you can go check.

so that you could use it as an entry in the Bounty.
The project was renamed and the extra apps removed long ago, even before the bounty was announced, so...

Maq47

Lord of Pyro
Trophies
Website
idont.have.one
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if you try to start a drama and if I have to take it in a wrong way, but I'll try to answer before ->

Yes, I renamed 3DS to 9DS in the name to make reference to the boot9 keys, which are used since V10 to extract and rebuild encrypted games (3DS and CIA), with no need to decrypt them anymore, like it was the case before with Decrypt9 or GodMode9.

? And it is always the case here.

Not really. What I removed was extra tools and not-needed at all, take them as a bonus, like 3DS Builder or RomFS Extractor, which are deprecated for a while, and to lower the size of the final release pack. I always use what you call "notable tools" (and they are, indeed!). It's ctrtool, 3dstool, and makerom. I never claimed they are my work, and I always gave credits for them, you can go check.

The project was renamed and the extra apps removed long ago, even before the bounty was announced, so...

I no longer have a 3DS, so I've been out of the loop for a little less than a year, so forgive my lack of current knowledge. I was mostly poking fun at how you won something by making an app that was originally only about 10% your own work. Now that I know the app is still using mostly the work of other people (I am still ashamed because I got so many details wrong, so don't take this the wrong way), I feel even more compelled to crack a joke about it!

Here's some advice for the future (you don't have to take it, but it would go a long way with future Bounties):
You should probably make it clear in your submission post that 80%-90% of the app is composed of work done by other people if that is the case. Some lurkers (like myself) will be too lazy to check the link you added in your submission post, and will either be less interested in your project (and call bullshit on the results of the Bounty), or will poke fun at the fact that you won (like me), and a small percentage (me included) will be ex-3DS owners who only know of the old version of your project, and because there were basically zero details in your submission post, will assume things that aren't true (like I did).

I am sorry that I was too lazy to click your link in your submission, let alone read the post that was linked, and am embarassed with myself for posting 'jokes' without researching what I was poking fun at. This much is true. At the same time, I am not the only one to poke fun at the fact that you won, so no apologies there. :P

Reactions: Asia81

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.