GBAtemp Game of the Year 2017 Voting: Nintendo Switch

gbatemp_game_of_the_year_2017.jpg

The thread you've been waiting for is here! Nintendo may have had a successful year with the Nintendo 3DS, but the true star of the show in 2017 was the newly released Nintendo Switch. From revolutionary takes on old classics, to brand new IPs, Nintendo has had many critically acclaimed games in 2017, and now its time for you to pick your favorite to win game of the year!

:arrow: PlayStation Winner: Persona 5
:arrow: PC Winner: Cuphead
:arrow: 3DS Winner: Metroid: Samus Returns

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I don't consider titles which are available already on Wii U as best games of Switch, despite a greatness of BotW & MK8 their place in a predecessor's top list. And out of all what left my Switch's GOTY is Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Also it's sad that there's no Disgaea 5: Complete in the poll.
I can see that for Mario Kart 8 but not for BOTW. It came out the same time as Wii U. Its a mutiplatform release.

Unless you're against Multiplatform games having a chance to compete for a vote. If thats true than Cuphead doesn't deserve to be on the list for PC or X-box. Or Persona 5 for ps3 or ps4. Or any other games that came out around the same time, or close to the same time as a multiplatform game. Which means the'll never have a chance for a vote.

Also your logic doesn't make sense, since they both came out at the same time. Thats like saying, "I don't consider titles available on the Wii U as the best game since its also available on the Switch." So no one should vote for botw on either system with your logic?

And Disgaea 5 also came out for the ps4 so you just contradicted yourself. Its should not be best game on Switch since it came out for ps4, using your thinking, so why want to have it on there?

Last edited by SG854,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As popular and as much replay as you get with Splatoon 2, I still say Zelda blew 2017 out of the water. And it was just a Wii U port! Imagine how good a Switch-native Zelda game will be!
I really hope we get a second Zelda game on the Switch, because I really think that if the Zelda dev team takes what they learned with BotW and improves on it it will actually be the best game ever made

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
Glad to see the best game has properly taken the throne.

Breath of the Wild was an ambitious change of pace while still retaining the beauty, charm and quality typical of the Zelda series. It still felt like a Zelda game. People can dislike some of the systems, either out of ignorance or preference, but in general the game was executed masterfully. The durability system was required for balance purposes, but it also worked well to force players into tactical decision-making. You couldn't just whip out your biggest, strongest weapon to wreck every bokoblin you run into. But it was also generous enough with weapons that you always had a variety of things to use. The world itself was absolutely glorious, huge and fun to explore. It definitely had its flaws, which makes sense given the size and scope of the game, as well as it being their first attempt at anything like it. But they were minor in the grand scheme of things.

Mario Odyssey on the other hand just felt like a lifeless fangame. Moons are sprinkled around with no thought or care. They went with significant quantity over any sort of quality. Most levels had fairly empty, boring, lifeless designs with few exceptions. Most had an incredibly small amount of enemies to possess per level, and the ones you good had a very specific, very obvious purpose. Most worlds were pretty devoid of any staple enemies, unless you really have a boner for goomba stacking for the 50th time. Controls were a bit awkward. Not difficult to figure out, but awkward. They don't feel clean or smooth, especially the dive. Not to mention tacking on motion controls where plenty don't get a button assigned to them as an alternative, leaving half the buttons unmapped or mapped with the same things as other buttons. Especially for a game on Nintendo's brand new hybrid console where you can't viably use the motion controls without shaking your Switch like a baby that wont stop crying. Compared to other Mario games it's an absolutely mediocre experience. It didn't improve upon anything, instead opting to cheapen many of the things that made previous Mario title staples.
Odyssey was open world for the sake of being open world. BotW being GOTY is also a no-brainer.

oji

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I can see that for Mario Kart 8 but not for BOTW. It came out the same time as Wii U. Its a mutiplatform release.

Unless you're against Multiplatform games having a chance to compete for a vote. If thats true than Cuphead doesn't deserve to be on the list for PC or X-box. Or Persona 5 for ps3 or ps4. Or any other games that came out around the same time, or close to the same time as a multiplatform game. Which means the'll never have a chance for a vote.

Also your logic doesn't make sense, since they both came out at the same time. Thats like saying, "I don't consider titles available on the Wii U as the best game since its also available on the Switch." So no one should vote for botw on either system with your logic?

And Disgaea 5 also came out for the ps4 so you just contradicted yourself. Its should not be best game on Switch since it came out for ps4, using your thinking, so why want to have it on there?
It's fun to see as someone trying to imply his own thoughts as a other's logic. Don't be silly trying to offend on stranger's thoughts & make it in your own way of "logic". If you're curious in my logic, i think that anything what developed for Wii U as N's prev-gen console is hardly best for me on Switch (did you saw this important clarification in my last message? Yes, its for me only, it's ok to anyone else to disagree, just don't offend). This includes BotW, which isn't only released both on Wii U & Switch, but was originally developed only for the first one, this is the last-gen title for me. It's great, i would say it's so awesome that it's deserve a GOTY title over all platforms. But this is a Wii U title & on Switch it even doesn't bring anything new at all, so i will vote for this only on a final poll. And by my logic Disgaea 5 is a current-gen title, previously exclusive to a rival platform, which is great to see as a decent port on Nintendo's current console. That are my thoughts, not what you tried to imply.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
It's fun to see as someone trying to imply his own thoughts as a other's logic. Don't be silly trying to offend on stranger's thoughts & make it in your own way of "logic". If you're curious in my logic, i think that anything what developed for Wii U as N's prev-gen console is hardly best for me on Switch (did you saw this important clarification in my last message? Yes, its for me only, it's ok to anyone else to disagree, just don't offend). This includes BotW, which isn't only released both on Wii U & Switch, but was originally developed only for the first one, this is the last-gen title for me. It's great, i would say it's so awesome that it's deserve a GOTY title over all platforms. But this is a Wii U title & on Switch it even doesn't bring anything new at all, so i will vote for this only on a final poll. And by my logic Disgaea 5 is a current-gen title, previously exclusive to a rival platform, which is great to see as a decent port on Nintendo's current console. That are my thoughts, not what you tried to imply.
Offend? Because I never called you an Idiot or Retard. All I said was you contradicted yourself and your logic makes no sense.
Unless me pointing out your inconsistencies is too harsh for you.

Im not implying/forcing my own thoughts on to yours. I'm pointing out your own thoughts and how they contradict with yourself. Its a disagreement with yourself.

Whether you say current Gen or last Gen, its just ridiculous semantics. This is a game of the year vote. Not a last gen, current gen vote. BOTW came out 2017 for Switch, so its in the 2017 game of the year choices. Also if BOTW never came out for Wii U but only for Switch would you consider it current gen then? Like what they did for FF 15, even though development for that game started on PS3. Current gen last gen is just meaningless in this context. So FF 15 should never get a chance because it never came out on ps3, but according to your thinking its last gen, because it was originally developed for ps3. So you can't vote for ff15 ps4 release because its last gen. And you can't vote for it on ps3 because it never came out on that system. So no FF15 vote for the year it came out.

Your only setting ridiculous voting restrictions on yourself with your current gen last gen logic.

And not bringing anything new at all as a reason for no vote? Because MK8 Deluxe added new features compared to Wii U version. So if thats a reason why you're not voting then you contradicted yourself again. That means Disgaea 5 should not have a chance for a vote using your thought process, if MK8D doesn't have a chance for vote then the same for Disgaea 5.

Last edited by SG854,
Reactions: ZoneBlaze

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm confused. If half of the world's opinion on BoTW is "it's mediocre at best" or "it's bad" why did it get mostly excellent reviews?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Voez is a preatty good game. I see people doesn't voted it, but I don't really know why. I've enjoyed more Sonic Forces and Voez than Z:BOTW and SMO tbh.
Obscurity mostly. I love the game (granted, I've only played it on mobile), but it is a port of a mobile game so that's a turn off. It's also a rythm game. The appeal of rythm games in America (I dont know if this is true for other parts of the world) is very limited.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Obscurity mostly. I love the game (granted, I've only played it on mobile), but it is a port of a mobile game so that's a turn off. It's also a rythm game. The appeal of rythm games in America (I dont know if this is true for other parts of the world) is very limited.

It is touch only based. That is the real turn off for me. The same with Deemo.

I haven't played Voez, but Deemo I own on Android and I played it a lot. The thing is on the switch I want to be able to play it portable, but also on TV when I wish so, and that means support for joycons/pro controller based gameplay.

It is a pity they didn't adapt the gameplay for them, because I am aching for a good rhythm game, and Rudymical is bullshit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Fucking lame. Thread viewed 1000 times and only one reply that doesnt even answer what I asked.