GBAtemp Game of the Year 2017 Voting: PC

gbatemp_game_of_the_year_2017.jpg

We've voted for our favorite PlayStation game, Persona 5, and now we'll be voting for the best 2017 has to offer on the PC platform. From huge games in early access, to small indie sleeper hits, PC has much to offer, so let's see what GBAtemp's favorite computer game was this year!

Game of the year 2017 voting:
:arrow: PS4
:arrow: PC
:arrow: Next: 3DS

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
My vote goes to Cuphead. They had more balls making the game than us finishing it. Devs no longer make very difficult games to not alienate a large part of gamers (Dark Souls is a meme and doesn't count) and 2D has been completely abandoned by publishers unless it's a cheap pixel art "retro" game.

Also, even if it took them years to make, they didn't try to make the multiplayer a MOBA.

Reactions: Xathya

Xathya

residence aparents trols of temps
Banned
Trophies
Website
knucklestheechidna.com
XP
Country
Australia
My vote goes to Cuphead. They had more balls making the game than us finishing it. Devs no longer make very difficult games to not alienate a large part of gamers (Dark Souls is a meme and doesn't count) and 2D has been completely abandoned by publishers unless it's a cheap pixel art "retro" game.

Also, even if it took them years to make, they didn't try to make the multiplayer a MOBA.
i ager with ur pointses up until dark souls. akoal lioke dark souls quites lost.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just a note on multiplats

If you don't include them, they'd be in the running on none of the lists. Doesn't make much sense.
If you only include them on one list, well now you'd alienated people. Maybe i'm a PC gamer and love Nier, but on PS4 I loved something else more, or I just simply don't play PS4 so I didn't vote. Nier is my *PC* GOTY.
The poll is to gauge the popularity of games on a given platform, by the people who play it. That's all. It's nothing more complicated than that.

Also it's kinda hard to remember every top game released this year. There were quite a few.

Lastly, bless whoever voted for Lawbreakers, may it RIP in pepperonis.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty much yeh.
Steam also contributes with sales n what not.
Cheaper games and a gigantic selection of indie games is what is keeping PC gaming alive.
And well, the elitists that spend thousands on gaming rigs.

For me, a simple console will do everything.
I can't be arsed to sit behind a desk like a anti-social hermit all day long.
Console + telly works perfectly.
Especially with friends over.

A PC doesn't have to be antisocial unless you want it to be. Someone from this forum was right about how HDMI changed PC gaming. I would also add Steam Big Picture. My "Steam Machine is treated like a console. It's plugged to a TV with two wireless controllers and boots directly into Steam Big Picture. I do my best to not see Windows but game and file management can be a bitch sometimes. Most games I can install and everything works all peachy but a few will open to annoying resolutions that my 2D to 3D box hates which requires me to visit the Windows Explorer. I'm going on a tangent but in short, PC gaming is a lot different these days and lastly, I voted for Nier.

Last edited by LightyKD,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Just a note on multiplats

If you don't include them, they'd be in the running on none of the lists. Doesn't make much sense.
If you only include them on one list, well now you'd alienated people. Maybe i'm a PC gamer and love Nier, but on PS4 I loved something else more, or I just simply don't play PS4 so I didn't vote. Nier is my *PC* GOTY.
The poll is to gauge the popularity of games on a given platform, by the people who play it. That's all. It's nothing more complicated than that.

Also it's kinda hard to remember every top game released this year. There were quite a few.

Lastly, bless whoever voted for Lawbreakers, may it RIP in pepperonis.
It was a great concept, terrible execution. Oh well.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
You say "only a few", but then you provide the very examples that prove that it isn't dying out. It's not as prevalent as back when two controllers were standard*, but I think it's more a result of local multiplayer (hotseat) not being that popular anymore rather than the cause.

*...which is kind of ironic, because AFAIK the switch is the first console where you actually get two controllers by default
Ugh,

I said dying not dead. So they are not completely gone. And dying out as in there is less local multiplayer games than what there use to be. I said a few, games I listed was a few. None of what I said was a contradiction. Online is obviously the cause of less local multiplayer.

Well he's not wrong. My PC is hooked up to the same 4K display that my Switch is hooked up to. The two of them cover near infinite ground in terms of local multiplayer games, especially if you include emulators.
Modern PC's now have HDMI out. Even some laptops have HDMI out.

Emulators, PC games, you got a wide range of consoles covered. And can run them at higher resolutions than what original console can do. And many local multiplayer games from older consoles.

And PC's are a better multi media device than what consoles can do. They are better for HD movies and can do things for movies consoles won't do.
Plus all the applications PC's can run that consoles don't. Better video editing, Audio and Monitor calibration software. Word applications and so on.

Overall PC's are way better than consoles.

Some advantages consoles have are
- Easier to use.
- Some exclusives (But PC's also has exclusives.)
- Some Local multiplayer?

Some Avantages PC's have
- Being better at everything else
- Lots of applications consoles don't run. (I don't see Madvr on consoles.)

Last edited by SG854,

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
And PC's are a better multi media device than what consoles can do. They are better for HD movies and can do things for movies consoles won't do.
Plus all the applications PC's can run that consoles don't. Better video editing, Audio and Monitor calibration software. Word applications and so on.

Overall PC's are way better than consoles.

Some advantages consoles have are
- Easier to use.
- Some exclusives (But PC's also has exclusives.)
- Some Local multiplayer?

Some Avantages PC's have
- Being better at everything else
- Lots of applications consoles don't run. (I don't see Madvr on consoles.)

As much as I prefer my PC than most of my consoles, I think this argument is a bit pointless for many reasons.

Player base, community, physical copies of games which hold value, no cheats in MP, trophies / achievements, friends, etc.

There isn't a "one size fits all" solution and I doubt there will be anytime soon.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My favorite casual PC game is by far Gang Beasts. It's just a silly game, and it takes time to get used to the small, intentional input delay, but it's still hilarious and really fun, with (at least for me) pretty good title screen music.

D

Deleted User

I was really torn between ddlc and cuphead personally. From an objective point of view cuphead just amazing, the best game this year on pc. But if you're relative and calculate cost-benefit, it's ddlc that comes out on top. You're getting one of the best games I've seen on pc for free. I mean how do you even calculate that!? Like the value is infinity? I guess?

But whatever the poll is over

Last edited by ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"