• Total voters

Warrior522

"In all things, balance."
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Old8oy said:
...but Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin said it was being built ON Ground Zero?!?!?! Why would they lie?

Let me get my list...
rolleyes.gif

Popid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@Demonbart: I agree that literally the site itself should be/have a memorial, I mean obviously those people who lost loved ones in this event deserve to be recognized and appreciated as having lost so much - and those who died deserve respect and recognition - but the Mosque isn't right there on the spot; as people have pointed out it's a couple of miles away. I agree that it's possible that some extremists will believe that the placement of a mosque there or near there is a win for them, or else could just try to spin it that way...but I believe it's much more likely that refusing to build the mosque there will provide them with ammunition: "you see, the Americans hate us. They preach equality but it is only in their own service.." etc. Those extremist people who are set on hating America/the west will not be swayed either way, but the important thing is to show the world that Americans truly mean it when they assert their conviction in the rights which they hold dear, and that they won't be cowed or convinced that acting against their principles is the best course of action when the shit hits the fan...

RisnDevil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not saying that it "excuses" not knowing (even though I was one of the uninformed), but when someone first sees a thread with 30+ pages of replies, they usually don't read all/any of the other replies before posting. When the thread TITLE says "Ground Zero Mosque," some people, like myself, were answering THAT QUESTION, not "Mosque X Distance Away, Yes or No?"

Just saying.

Warrior522

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the above post in mind, would it be fair to say that a retitle of this thread to avoid further confusion is a good move at this point?

Popid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Warrior522: I'd say yes - it can hardly hurt, and inaccuracies like that are part of what lead to argument, people being hurt, and just general noise that isn't useful. The media have a lot to answer for

Blood Fetish

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RisnDevil said:
Not saying that it "excuses" not knowing (even though I was one of the uninformed), but when someone first sees a thread with 30+ pages of replies, they usually don't read all/any of the other replies before posting. When the thread TITLE says "Ground Zero Mosque," some people, like myself, were answering THAT QUESTION, not "Mosque X Distance Away, Yes or No?"

Just saying.
You were so uninformed about this topic that you do not even know where it is being built. With that in mind: why on Earth would you form an opinion on something you literally know nothing about? I hope you aren't in a habit of doing this with other topics, like voting issues.

Warrior522

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Popid said:
Warrior522: I'd say yes - it can hardly hurt, and inaccuracies like that are part of what lead to argument, people being hurt, and just general noise that isn't useful. The media have a lot to answer for

Ain't that the truth.
rolleyes.gif

RisnDevil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blood Fetish,

To be honest, I don't pay attention to REAL news (really only gaming news) because I know how glorified or sensationalized most news is, having been to places like IRaq myself and see what the news does with those stories and situations. As such, I didn't even know there was a mosque being build anywhere in relation to ground zero, until this thread. When the thread was titled GROUND ZERO MOSQUE, I thought about how I felt about that, and I answered. Where it actually is located (which I now have a better understanding of) IN NO WAY impacts my opinion that no, a mosque should not be built on ground zero. Your comments are simply condescending and in no way relevant to the topic at hand.

When I do make something my concern, such as say, my children's education (which is along the same lines as voting, especially when you got involved with School Boards and such) I go out of my way to make sure I know as much as I can about the subject to ensure that I am not some opinionated, loud-mouthed weirdo, shooting off at the mouth. I do not appreciate your attempted insult into other aspects of me or my life, which you know nothing about.

Good day to you sir.

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well some people in america are idiots. There going to burn a copy of the quran on the anniversary of 9/11. How intelligent, that's effectively inviting a terrorist attack and giving them a reason. (even if it's not a reason to kill innocent people)

Warrior522

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BobTheJoeBob said:
Well some people in america are idiots. There going to burn a copy of the quran on the anniversary of 9/11. How intelligent, that's effectively inviting a terrorist attack and giving them a reason. (even if it's not a reason to kill innocent people)

...that's as moronic as burning one of our flags. Yes, I get the symbolisim, but at the end of the day, it's a pointless and (in my opinion) idiotic thing to do.

BobTheJoeBob

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I find it hypocritical that a country full of people preaching about respect for the victims of 9/11 are burning a quran. (No not all americans)

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This reminds me of something. About ten years ago there was an IRA bombing at a place called Ealing Broadway. Next door to the site there's now an Irish bar
tongue.gif

But seriously though, I'm disgusted in how certain individuals are overplaying the building of the centre for their self-gain. Palin and Beck are a disgrace in how she's been taking advantage of fear of ignorance, in order to further their already uber conservative narrow minded existance.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gonna defend FOX and bash Glenn for just a sec: GZ Mosque Article. This Article according to the stuff in this thread, is correct in saying the Building is 2 city blocks away. Glenn isn't stating all the facts, and isn't providing a bit of sustanece {I hope that is spelled right} for the people to think on. FOX is correct this time and Glenn is just increasing outrage. I am going to watch him more closely now. Going to call him on it in a few too.

EDIT: Here is a post I made on his Face Book:
Glenn, I love your show and the history you have brought to my attention. You claim to want to stay with the Constitution. Being the Supreme law of the land that it is, the First Amendment grants freedom of religion to all American Citizens. This includes what many people consider an unwanted edition to New York, an mosque. I myself feel that it is insensitive, but as an American, I believe in the constitution. I believe that in order to move on, and recover we as a people must accept the building of things that these people have a right to, even if we do not like it. This is what the United States stands for, and will always stand for. We all have the right to protest this, but what good does it do when the fundamental right to practice (or not) whatever religion (or lack thereof ) you wish is denied in the process. I agree it is insensitive, but for pete's sake when will we be ready for a recovery? It's been almost 9 years since 9/11... (out of words for the post)

Blood Fetish

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It isn't about respect, obviously. Hating just feels really good, especially for people living in New York. It fulfills this primal urge to stop thinking and start destroying.

Warrior522

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BobTheJoeBob said:
I find it hypocritical that a country full of people preaching about respect for the victims of 9/11 are burning a quran. (No not all americans)

The thing I find hypocritical is that a church, a place that is supposed to be a safe haven from this screwed up world (in my experience: yeah right
rolleyes.gif
) is burning another religious book. What was that Jesus said about loving your enemies and praying for those who persecute you?

BobTheJoeBob

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
emigre said:
This reminds me of something. About ten years ago there was an IRA bombing at a place called Ealing Broadway. Next door to the site there's now an Irish bar
tongue.gif

But seriously though, I'm disgusted in how certain individuals are overplaying the building of the centre for their self-gain. Palin and Beck are a disgrace in how she's been taking advantage of fear of ignorance, in order to further their already uber conservative narrow minded existance.
I know the place, it's like a 15 minute drive away for me.
America's full of idiots, it amazes me how oblivious and media controlled they can be.

Popid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Blood Fetish said:
It isn't about respect, obviously. Hating just feels really good, especially for people living in New York. It fulfills this primal urge to stop thinking and start destroying.

Because hatred and anger really do seem to work wonders when it comes to submerging/ignoring more difficult and complex unpleasant emotions. I wonder what studies there are on that, a million I'm sure, I'd be interested to read about some though, and esp the relationships between hatred and fear with regard to racism and xenophobia etc. Although I don't know why hating would feel especially great for people living in new york; that's just a bit citiest of you ;P Unless you mean because they bore the brunt of 9/11, then yeah it's understandable. Anger and hatred do as you say feel "really good" on some basic level which is a large part if not the biggest part of what fuels violence the world over

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RisnDevil said:

Just saying.

I think the OP assumed that those responding had some prior knowledge of the topic since it has been in the news for several weeks now. The term "Ground Zero Mosque," although entirely inaccurate, is how opponents have referred to the community center from the beginning. Granted, they probably used the term in order to whip up opposition to it, but that name pretty much stuck and that's how many news reports regularly refer to the community center.

So it's almost always a good idea to Google a topic before forming an opinion, because it's almost never as cut and dry as either side would want you to believe. Unfortunately, in this case, the misinformation that's spread by some politicians who oppose to the community center in order to gain political points is downright dangerous and irresponsible.

-Bri

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
BobTheJoeBob said:

It's one small church with fewer than 50 members, and they've been known to do similar things for publicity for their church.

The outcry against it has been pretty forthright from nearly everyone else.

It's inaccurate to say that "a country full of people preaching about respect for the victims of 9/11 are burning a quran," almost as inaccurate as it would be to say that all Muslims are responsible for 9/11.

-Bri

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: You too