Votes: 0 0.0%
  • it depends...(see my comment)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Just as an aside as the Koran burning day has been mentioned... If someone were to go to one of these events and hand out arabic translations of the bible, would the koran burners know the difference, and would they burn them thinking it was the koran until you told them later? Just putting the idea out there
evil.gif

Warrior522

"In all things, balance."
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
Just as an aside as the Koran burning day has been mentioned... If someone were to go to one of these events and hand out arabic translations of the bible, would the koran burners know the difference, and would they burn them thinking it was the koran until you told them later? Just putting the idea out there
evil.gif

Formatted correctly, mebbe... >83

...although that would likely only cause more trouble...

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bri said:
BobTheJoeBob said:
I find it hypocritical that a country full of people preaching about respect for the victims of 9/11 are burning a quran. (No not all americans)

It's one small church with fewer than 50 members, and they've been known to do similar things for publicity for their church.

The outcry against it has been pretty forthright from nearly everyone else.

It's inaccurate to say that "a country full of people preaching about respect for the victims of 9/11 are burning a quran," almost as inaccurate as it would be to say that all Muslims are responsible for 9/11.

-Bri
True, I guess it is. But I didn't say ALL americans.
@Bluestar, it's supposed to be spelt quran not koran, although I know your not the first person to make that mistake.

BobTheJoeBob

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Overlord Nadrian said:
BobTheJoeBob said:
@Bluestar, it's supposed to be spelt quran not koran, although I know your not the first person to make that mistake.
Spelling differs from one country to another. In Belgium, it's Koran (capitalised).
Fair enough, although I do think there should be a universal way of spelling it in English.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
BobTheJoeBob said:
Overlord Nadrian said:
BobTheJoeBob said:
Spelling differs from one country to another. In Belgium, it's Koran (capitalised).
Fair enough, although I do think there should be a universal way of spelling it in English.
When you're dealing with words from a language that doesn't use the western alphabet, you're always going to find variants in the way it's anglicised unfortunately.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
BobTheJoeBob said:
Bri said:
BobTheJoeBob said:
I find it hypocritical that a country full of people preaching about respect for the victims of 9/11 are burning a quran. (No not all americans)

It's one small church with fewer than 50 members, and they've been known to do similar things for publicity for their church.

It's inaccurate to say that "a country full of people preaching about respect for the victims of 9/11 are burning a quran," almost as inaccurate as it would be to say that all Muslims are responsible for 9/11.

-Bri

You said "a country full of people preaching about respect for the victims of 9/11 are burning a quran." The phrase "a country full of people" would imply a lot more than 50 out of roughly 310 million people. Also "not all Americans" is a major understatement. Almost all Americans are not in favor of it.

-Bri

BobTheJoeBob

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bri said:
BobTheJoeBob said:
Bri said:
BobTheJoeBob said:

-Bri

You said "a country full of people preaching about respect for the victims of 9/11 are burning a quran." The phrase "a country full of people" would imply a lot more than 50 out of roughly 310 million people. Also "not all Americans" is a major understatement. The vast majority of Americans are strongly against it.

-Bri
I wasn't disagreeing with you but was clarifying that I didn't say all Americans, which I didn't. I do realise that a very small minority of the population agree with it.

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BobTheJoeBob said:

Overlord Nadrian said:

QUOTE(BlueStar @ Sep 8 2010, 11:05 AM)
When you're dealing with words from a language that doesn't use the western alphabet, you're always going to find variants in the way it's anglicised unfortunately.
No, no, no! The book in Arabic is "Qur'an." The English translation is "Koran." The title of a book is always capitalized (except for prepositional words smaller than five letters, unless it's the first word in a title). Not to mention if someone really wanted to be a grammar Nazi, they're also supposed to be italicized if they're foreign words or long books (ie, name of a magazine, newspaper, short story isn't capitalized). So, correctly it's Qur'an, and Koran. Whatever the user wants to say.

Pronunciation is "core-on," not "core-an" as some might think.

??????

gringosam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not at Ground Zero, it's close to Ground Zero, hell, anywhere on Manhattan is close to Ground Zero. I take offense at the vast majority of news outlets declaring it on Ground Zero when it's not, in a deliberate attempt to raise outrage and making this thing into something it's not. Go manipulate the simple people. Oh wait...guess it IS working...

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Uncle FEFL said:
No, no, no! The book in Arabic is "Qur'an."

Well, no, as you point out at the end of your post the book in Arabic is ??????

How Arabic speakers choose to represent it using the western alphabet is up to them, and you'll find different newspapers and organisations with different style guides as to how to spell it (Same with Taleban and Taliban), which may also vary from country to country.

QUOTE said:
The English translation is "Koran." The title of a book is always capitalized (except for prepositional words smaller than five letters, unless it's the first word in a title).

Again, this is a style issue. I produce text for several different news organisations and some like every word capped, including 'of', 'the' etc.

QUOTE said:
Not to mention if someone really wanted to be a grammar Nazi, they're also supposed to be italicized if they're foreign words or long books (ie, name of a magazine, newspaper, short story isn't capitalized).

And once again, this is getting into editorial style and not actual hard and fast rules of grammar. I've no doubt someone may have told you to do this, but no matter how much of a grammar Nazi you're being failing to do so is not incorrect.

Pronunciation is "core-on," not "core-an" as some might think.

It's more like kuu-rahn, but seeing as how both Arabic and English speakers across the world speak with different accents you can't dictate one exact correct pronunciation any more than you can mandate an official anglicisation of the spelling.

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
Well, no, as you point out at the end of your post the book in Arabic is ??????That's not what I meant by what I said, but I see your point. Muslims (when writing in English) spell it out as "Qur'an."

QUOTE said:
How Arabic speakers choose to represent it using the western alphabet is up to them, and you'll find different newspapers and organisations with different style guides as to how to spell it (Same with Taleban and Taliban), which may also vary from country to country.Most Muslims use "Qur'an" rather than "Koran" because "Qur'an" is the direct translation, from what I know anyway. What English speakers want to use doesn't really matter, you're right. I also pointed that out myself.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
That's not what I meant by what I said, but I see your point. Muslims (when writing in English) spell it out as "Qur'an."

Not all of them.

http://www.islamicity.com/mosque/quran/

QUOTE said:
Most Muslims use "Qur'an" rather than "Koran" because "Qur'an" is the direct translation, from what I know anyway. What English speakers want to use doesn't really matter, you're right. I also pointed that out myself.

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are you guys arguing about the spelling of some religious book? Completely off-topic, don't ya think?

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
m3rox said:
Why are you guys arguing about the spelling of some religious book? Completely off-topic, don't ya think?

Not completely, I think it's the nature of discussion boards that you may end off going off on a slight tangent about things like correct/preferred spelling of one of the words related to the topic.

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
Not all of them.

http://www.islamicity.com/mosque/quran/It's nearly the same, but again, I see your point.

QUOTE said:
There's no 'direct translation' of a foreign noun originally written in a different alphabet. All you can do is listen to what it sounds like and put some letters together which look like they sound like that in English.I think our ideas of a direct translation are different.

But it doesn't mean it's incorrect either, that's my point. The English language would be easy if absolutely everything had a hard and fast, black and white rule, right or wrong, argeed upon by experts and scholars. But English isn't maths (or 'math' if you prefer) and in some cases the answer to "which of these is right" is "Both" "Neither" or "It depends who you ask". That's how at one end of the country we have a St James' Park and at the other we have a St James's Park.
Depending on the situation, I'd argue the contrary; that's exactly what it means. A writer using fragments as a rhetorical strategy to prove whatever it is the writer's trying to prove and calling said fragment a sentence is wrong. The fragment is still not a sentence. The writer is still grammatically incorrect. The answer to that would be to say that it was the writer's intention to do so. Which is virtually always the case, seeing as how writers edit many, many times.

If I said "WHAT?!" I'm still grammatically incorrect, but it was intended. That would be my style of writing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)