• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

group of third-graders plotted to attack their teacher

OrcMonkey©

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
A group of third-graders plotted to attack their teacher, bringing a broken steak knife, handcuffs, duct tape and other items for the job and assigning children tasks including covering the windows and cleaning up afterward, police said Tuesday.

The plot by as many as nine boys and girls at Center Elementary School in south Georgia was a serious threat, Waycross Police Chief Tony Tanner said.

"We did not hear anybody say they intended to kill her, but could they have accidentally killed her? Absolutely," Tanner said. "We feel like if they weren't interrupted, there would have been an attempt. Would they have been successful? We don't know."

The children, ages 8 and 9, were apparently mad at the teacher because she had scolded one of them for standing on a chair, Tanner said. A prosecutor said they are too young to be charged with a crime under Georgia law.

School officials alerted police Friday after a pupil tipped off a teacher that a girl had brought a weapon to school, Tanner said.

Police seized a broken steak knife, handcuffs, duct tape, electrical and transparent tape, ribbons and a crystal paperweight from the students, who apparently intended to use them against the teacher, Tanner said.

Nine children have been given discipline up to and including long-term suspension, said Theresa Martin, spokeswoman for the Ware County school system. She would not be more specific but said none of the children had been back to school since the case came to light.

The purported target is a veteran educator who teaches third-grade students with learning disabilities including attention deficit disorder, delayed development and hyperactivity, friends and parents said.

The scheme involved a division of roles, Tanner said. One child's job was to cover windows so no one could see outside, he said. Another was supposed to clean up after the attack.

"We're not sure at this point in the investigation how many of the students actually knew the intent was to hurt the teacher," Tanner said.

The parents of the students have cooperated with investigators, who aren't allowed to question the children without their parents' or guardians' consent, he said. Authorities have withheld the children's names.

Police expected to forward the results of their investigation to prosecutors, Tanner said.

Children in Georgia can't be charged with a crime unless they are at least 13, District Attorney Rick Currie said.

Martin told The Florida Times-Union of Jacksonville, Fla., that administrators would follow school system policy and state law in disciplining the students.

"From what I understand, they were considered pretty good kids," Martin said. "But we have to take this seriously, whether they were serious or not about carrying this through, and that's what we did."

Four mothers of other third-grade students at Center Elementary called for the immediate expulsion of the suspected plotters.

Stacy Carter and Deana Hiott both cited school system policy stating that any student who brings "anything reasonably considered to be a weapon" is to be expelled for at least the remainder of the school year.

"We don't want our children around them," Carter told the Times-Union. "The one with the knife could have stabbed my child or someone else's child at lunch or out on the playground."

"This is an isolated incident, an aberration. ... We have good kids," Center Principal Angie Coleman told the newspaper.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh my god

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
thebobevil said:
Children that broken must have been broken at home.
Eh, I don't know 9 kids from the same class all mistreated enough at home to turn terrible toddlers? Cannibal children? Killer kids? I doubt it. This seems like a simple case of one or two bad seeds talking the rest of the kids into it.

Also, video games will get blamed for this, because of course there's no way kids could go crazy on their own.
rolleyes.gif

(Also, are you sure this story wasn't released on April fool's day? It seems a bit farfetched).

OrcMonkey©

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ace Gunman said:
thebobevil said:
Children that broken must have been broken at home.
Eh, I don't know 9 kids from the same class all mistreated enough at home to turn terrible toddlers? Cannibal children? Killer kids? I doubt it. This seems like a simple case of one or two bad seeds talking the rest of the kids into it.

Also, video games will get blamed for this, because of course there's no way kids could go crazy on their own.
rolleyes.gif

(Also, are you sure this story wasn't released on April fool's day? It seems a bit farfetched).
No it was on the news paper

OrcMonkey©

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
oh yeah and also they planned so someone would be in front of the door so no one comes in. Also some kid was supposed to bring a paper weight to knock out the teacher

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
pretty scary shit... I'm guessing the teacher has become slightly more alert since and probably won't scold the kids any more. Well kids get all kinds of idiotic ideas. It's a good thing now that u've grown up u can reflect on how you yourself would react if the same thing was done to you before you do something stupid.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I saw this on the news last night, funny as hell. They had a picture of the paperweight they were gonna use, too. A good blow with that would've come close to killing the guy, even if a third grader did it. I actually have one that looks almost exactly like it.

mflo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tee hee hee~
Wow... Kids are messed up these days. Well.. I agree with Ace about the bad kids controlling the rest.
They'll be like... future terrorists :wtf:

I'll mend their broken hearts with my gourmet eggrolls of truth and beauty. Grande sized.

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd smother the ringleaders with a pillow, personally.

If the ringleaders are that broken now, they will only get worse.

You may say I am heartless, but I speak as a parent of several children, of assorted ages ... and if one of my children were to become like that, I'd not be able to live with myself, as I had obviously failed them.

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't hit my kids, but they know how things should be ... I try to instill a sense of right and wrong, to the best of my abilities ... plus, they know that if they really fuck up, I will kill them, and make more that look just like them, and no-one will know mwahahaha
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs