Tutorial  Updated

Hacking the Wii U without a GamePad

**WARNING: If you’re purchasing a Wii U console without a GamePad, and intend to configure the console with DRC Sim, then first, thoroughly read the section titled Factory Reset Console.

Nintendo designed their Wii U console, whereby you need the GamePad to configure required settings such as TV output and WiFi. Now, with DRC Sim, a PC, and a compliant WiFi adapter, you have the option to configure the settings of a Wii U console without a GamePad. Though, this might not be a good solution if you don’t already own a PC or laptop.

Is a Wii U worth it without the GamePad?

Well, that depends how much you like the Wii U library of games. You can play the Zelda Games without the GamePad, however, many other games require the GamePad to work, such as Mario Maker, Xenoblade, Splatoon, Paper Mario, and many more. DRC Sim can get GamePad titles working, and give you a limited ability to interface with them, though, you might find it a bit counterproductive using your PC as the GamePad interface. There is a DRC Sim tablet app for Android, which also works very well, but again, it's limited compared to an actual GamePad, and you still need DRC Sim server running on a PC to use the tablet app.

If you want the Wii U just for the Zelda series, and retro gaming (Wii, Gamecube, etc), then you’ll probably enjoy the Wii U without a Gamepad. Though, if you want to play most of the Wii U library, then settle on getting a GamePad.

One thing I’d suggest, is to get and hack the console to see how you like it. Use DRC Sim to try the GamePad required titles, and if you feel you’ll enjoy the GamePad titles, then get the GamePad later when you find a deal. However, keep in mind, you might find a good deal that includes the console and Gamepad together, opposed to having to buy them separately. The console could be bought for around $80, but the GamePad typically goes for $120 used, if you’re lucky.

Factory Reset Console.

DRC Sim has not been 100% confirmed regarding its capabilities to complete the initial setup of a Wii U console that has been factory reset.

I personally, have factory reset my Wii U, and successfully completed the entire initialization process. I can confirm that DRC Sim was successful completing the initial set up of a Wii U console after a factory reset, using the following configuration:
  • Wii U 32GB North American Model Console
  • Wii U Console Firmware 5.5.1
  • DRC Sim 1.4
  • Ubuntu 16.04 LTS OS Virtual Machine
  • Panda N600 Dual Band USB Wireless WiFi Adapter
If a console was factory reset, you can connect the Wii U to a TV and get the pairing code required to pair DRC Sim with a console.

Please note, the Wii U will only output a TV signal on the video port it was configured for prior to a factory reset. For example, if the Wii U was factory reset while configured to output via a non-HDMI connection, then you will need the component or A/V cable to connect to your TV.

It’s crucially important for the Wii U to be connected to a TV in order to retrieve the code required to pair with DRC Sim.

Should you succeed completing the initialization of a Wii U after a factory reset, please post in this thread listing your specific gaming configuration, such as Wii U model country/firmware/size, plus WiFi adapter model/chipset, as well as any other specific details that may be useful to help community members complete their own setup.

NEVER FACTORY RESET A CONSOLE THAT HAS ANY TYPE OF HACKS INSTALLED, UNTIL YOU THOROUGHLY READ THE WARNINGS, AND PROPERLY UNINSTALL ANY INSTALLED HACK. FAILURE TO PROPERLY REMOVE A HACK PRIOR TO A FACTORY RESET CAN RESULT IN BRICKING YOUR CONSOLE!!

Purchasing a Wii U console and its peripherals.

If you don’t already own a Wii U, you’ll need to spend approximately $160 for the console, SD Card, Wii U Pro controller, Wii Motion Controller, sensor bar, and WiFi adapter. That does not include the cost of an HDD and USB HDD enclosure, which are optional costs. DO NOT purchase 3rd party controllers, as they often do not work well with some or most hacks.

OXfPcy3.jpg

• Wii U console. Make sure the seller includes the power adapter. The power adapter can run you an extra $15. Don’t buy cheap 3rd party power adapters, they’re horrible, and dangerously constructed.
  • Wii U Pro controller. This is needed to simply navigate the Wii U and play games that don’t require the GamePad.
  • A PC or laptop running the latest Ubuntu LTS operating System. I personally used my PC and created an Ubuntu virtual machine to install DRC Sim, which worked flawlessly.
  • SD Card or a MicroSD Card with an SD Card adapter, your choice of size, preferably between 16GB - 128GB. I’d go with the largest size you can afford. Buy a quality card from a reputable seller. You’ll need the SD card to apply and install hacks. Also, you can play games that are stored on an SD card, or use the SD card to transfer games to the console or attached hard drive storage.
  • Wii U Sensor bar and Wii Motion Controller (optional). You’ll need these if you want to configure Virtual Wii (Wii U predecessor), which will allow you to play original Wii games and GameCube games with Nintendont.
  • Hard Drive with USB enclosure (optional). If you’re planning on building a library of games, you’ll want to add a Hard Drive to store your games for convenience. However, it’s not necessary, since you can play games off of an SD Card. You’ll need a USB Hard Drive enclosure so you can connect the Hard Drive to your Wii U. If the Hard Drive enclosure is not powered by a power adapter, you’ll need a USB-Y cable so the USB enclosure can draw power from the Wii-U to operate the Hard Drive. Make sure you thoroughly research the type of USB enclosure to purchase to ensure it works well with the Wii U.
DRC Sim installation and configuration.

Once you get everything together, your next step is to THOROUGHLY WATCH THE ENTIRE YouTube video linked below, which explains exactly how to set up DRC Sim. Once you get DRC Sim working, you can connect and configure the console settings such as WiFi and TV output. Also, read the description of the YouTube video, as it contains useful links.

Hacking your Wii U.

WiiU Hacking Guide (guide I personally used)

Additional hacking guides...

WiiUBrU Guide!
Felek's redNAND-free Wii U Hacking
Kafluke's Noob Guide to Wii U Hacking

Installing games.

Now that you have your console hacked, it’s time to install and get to know a program named WiiU USB Helper. It’s basically a one-stop solution to get you up and gaming.

WiiU USB Helper Program

Additional helpful links.

Nintendont, a hack to play GameCube games
Nintendont Controller config files
Wii U Utilities
DRC Sim Android client for tablet
DRC Sim Github
DRC Sim Client
Reddit WiiUHacks
DRC Sim compliant WiFi adapter
Ubuntu Desktop OS Download

All the resources I listed are exactly what got me up and running.

CREDITS AND THANKS GO TO ALL THOSE THAT DEVELOPED THE SOFTWARE TO MAKE HACKING POSSIBLE, AND THOSE THAT POSTED TUTORIALS TO MAKE IT EASILY UNDERSTOOD.

Last edited by Hillbilleh,

ThunderbInazuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So my next question is; the Wii U has the capability to play your old Wii games, so currently the only way to do that is thru vWii on a completely separate drive from your Wii U games? And if so, can you have some Wii U games on your SD card and the Wii games on the drive and switch accordingly?
Yes to the first question. To the second, you can use loadiine to load wiiU games form the SD, but you will have long waiting times. If you don't want that and if you don't plan to buy another HDD, you can do like I used to do when the brazilian method got released: Have the HDD to the WiiU and a pen for the vWii ( 32GB) and, if I wanted to play something that wasn't on the pen, I copied directly from the PC to it.

Hillbilleh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would you please check what chipset this is using? I tried searching for it, but the seller refers to the company's website and their specification document lacks chipset information.

I couldn't find a definitive list of what the chipset is for my Panda adapter. I ran commands lspci and dmesg in my ubuntu virtual machine, and all I could find was, Manufacturer: Ralink.

In Windows, under device manger, same thing, most I could find was the manufacture name. Though the hardware ID's are listed as...
USB\VID_148F&PID_5572&REV_0101
USB\VID_148F&PID_5572

On my adapter the Model Number is listed as PAU07.

According to this site http://elinux.org/RPi_USB_Wi-Fi_Adapters, the PAU07 has a hardware description of Driver: rt2800usb, if that helps.

If you know of another method for trying to find out the chipset listing, let me know, and I'll give it a try.

BTW, I factory reset my Wii U to see if DRC Sim can complete an initial setup after a full reset, and it was a sucess. After I finish modding it again, I'll update the guide accordingly.

Reactions: rolandoislas

ThunderbInazuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It might work in native Linux-based OS given the correct drivers. Running it as a bridged device in a virtual machine is untested.

Edit: A bridged wireless interface will not work with a VM. An attached USB adapter will work.

Well, Installed Ubuntu as Dual Boot on windows and it didn't worked. So, I'm planning to buy this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U2SIS0O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_8tkbzbYNJFAX7
With this, I can use it regarding my router and my wifi adapter right?

Hillbilleh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, Installed Ubuntu as Dual Boot on windows and it didn't worked. So, I'm planning to buy this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U2SIS0O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_8tkbzbYNJFAX7
With this, I can use it regarding my router and my wifi adapter right?
All I can say, is I personally used that adapter, with a Ubuntu virtual machine, and it worked flawlessly. I'm currently using it with DRC Sims latest release, and it's working perfectly.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot of testing with DRC Sim, and so far, only one confirmed working USB WiFi adapter.

Reactions: ThunderbInazuma

ThunderbInazuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
All I can say, is I personally used that adapter, with a Ubuntu virtual machine, and it worked flawlessly. I'm currently using it with DRC Sims latest release, and it's working perfectly.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot of testing with DRC Sim, and so far, only one confirmed working USB WiFi adapter. Hopefully more will be confirmed later. It would be nice to find an adapter under $10 confirmed, though, that's probably unlikely for a Dual Band 5GHz adapter.
Ok. Thank You. Hope it arrives soon xD

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm looking for an adapter that would work and that would allow me to change the antenna, even if I have to open it...
@Hillbilleh, is there any way to change the antenna in your adapter? Like a u.fl connector or whatever inside the shell of the adapter?
(kind of how there is a connector inside the Wii U even though we're not exactly supposed to change the antenna, as shown here).

Hillbilleh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking for an adapter that would work and that would allow me to change the antenna, even if I have to open it...
@Hillbilleh, is there any way to change the antenna in your adapter? Like a u.fl connector or whatever inside the shell of the adapter?
(kind of how there is a connector inside the Wii U even though we're not exactly supposed to change the antenna, as shown here).
The adapter I have, does not have an antena port. So, unless you're willing to open it up, and solder on an antenna port, then the answer would be no.

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone confirm if that the initial setup for the Wii U works with drc-sim?

I noticed that the warning is gone, and was wondering. How do people find the pairing code in the initialization screen??? Sorry if it's already been mentioned before but i'm not following.

Hillbilleh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone confirm if that the initial setup for the Wii U works with drc-sim?

I noticed that the warning is gone, and was wondering. How do people find the pairing code in the initialization screen??? Sorry if it's already been mentioned before but i'm not following.

I added a "Factory Reset" section in the guide confirming my experience with a successful initial setup after a factory reset using DRC Sim.

You can still get the pairing code after a factory reset. You just have to make sure you have the proper video cables to connect to your TV so you can see the Wii U setup screen.

For example, if the WiiU was configured to output video via HDMI, then you did a factory reset, you need the HDMI cable to connect to your TV. If the Wii U was configured to output via Non-HDMI connection, then you did a factory reset, you need the component or A/V cable to to connect to your TV.

After a factory reset, it's just a matter of hitting the pairing button on the console twice to get the pairing code, and pair it with DRC Sim. Then you can complete the initial setup with DRC Sim, well, at least I was sucessful in doing so on my North American Wii U with firmware 5.5.1.

trancend

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
OK calm down, lol, no need for any triggering. I posted that guide since I found it noob friendly, and I wanted to list everything I personally used to get up and running.

I'll gladly list links to any alternative guides for others reading this to consider. Either post the links you want me to add here, or PM me with them.

So there are prereq steps missing? Is redNAND needed for like taking a dump or something??

Thanks.

trancend

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for post, perfect timing I just bought a Wii w/o pad...

Tried this on fresh 16.04 install with a Netgear WNDA3100(V3) without much luck (yet, but I did order the Panda in the mean time).

First hurdle was restoring grub bootloader from the 12.04/Win10 dual boot setup that already existed:

http://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-repair-restore-reinstall-grub-2-with-a-ubuntu-live-cd#.Uz6B0vllHuM

Next was finding a driver for the Netgear:

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_WNDA3100v3
https://github.com/jurobystricky/Netgear-A6210

Which then had to be built with:

https://github.com/jurobystricky/Netgear-A6210/issues/25

$ make
$ sudo make install
$ sudo modprobe mt7662u_sta
$ sudo service network-manager restart

Using the card can cause the system error mentioned in the above thread, which I'm currently trying to work around while waiting for the Panda (I know I should tough it out but I'm dying to open brand new BoW, only few more days til I can get refund if this doesn't work out).

Another helpful post (it's for previous, v2 card but steps are insightful):

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1964173

I'll post back any progress.

Spore2

Trophies
XP
Country
Tried an ASUS USB N-66 on Ubuntu 16.04 through Virtualbox. DRC-sim recognizes the wifi adapter but it can't connect to the Wii U. Seems like the software is strictly for adapters supported by the rt2800usb driver.

3DDXD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my friend gave me his Wii U without a gamepad and it already has homebrew and Wupx2 installer on it. Can I do anything to get the hacks working with my computer because it isn't on my home wifi and he never downloaded any games for it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great