Hacking COMPLETED Guide: How to uodate your games without updating the device

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On 3.0.0, doesn't work anymore. Instead of asking what network to connect to, it will just say unable to connect to network. If you turn hit internet settings and connect to the network it will inform you that you have to install a system update to access the software updates
Tested with just dance 2017, which immediately asked for an update when launching the game even with updates blocks enabled.

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,

chr0m

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You'll probably need to update manually via a game card like Mario X Rabbids Kingdom Battle for example.

What fw does that game come with? I don't have any game carts. I'll probably just update to the latest and get another if anything comes of the hack. There doesn't seem to be a shortage here, they're everywhere.

HyeVltg3

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does Zelda BOTW comes with any software on the cart, finally got my Switch today and obviously grabbed zelda. wondering if like Wii/U/3DS/PSP, is there an update in the zelda cart?

Last edited by HyeVltg3,

satan89

Trophies
XP
Country
India
Does Zelda BOTW comes with any software on the cart, finally got my Switch today and obviously grabbed zelda. wondering if like Wii/U/3DS/PSP, is there an update in the zelda cart?
No. Zelda was released on 1.00 so it won't have a system update file

Thelonewolf88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still using 2.2.0 and the last update for Zelda, I just quickly enabled my connection, grabbed the update, installed it and then deleted the wifi connection.

Not sure, if that could still work with other games too on 3.00 or below (as they may have changed it server side for game updates to be downloaded to have the console on the latest firmware)

Istolla

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
↑ This method to get game updates only, no longer works (at least for me, 2.3.0) as I'd said in my post on page 1.
Otherwise I'd be enjoying BotW with JP-VA and Eng-Subs lol.

System wise, staying under 3.0.1 is desired if you hope for homebrew additives, if you wish your Switch to have 3.0.0 you'll need a copy of Pokken as that is the only cart currently with that firmware.

Last edited by Istolla,

HyeVltg3

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is there a certaintity confirmation on the fact that 3.0.0/1 is where homebrew will start, just wondering if I can update to 3.0.2 now grab newest everythings and then when HB does go live Nintendo will have a 3.0.3 to snuff it, but us on 0.2 will be fine with updated consoles at 0.2
just curious because the longer we wait the more updates, and less and less chance that HB exploit are even being released.

Istolla

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@HyeVltg3

As those working on the ground level stuff towards homebrew are all saying "Stay on or below 3.0.0" I'd advocate such as the safer course of action at current and HB will like be born from there.

If you want a longer answer well.
First hope you can forgive my less than likely "accurate" wording but 3.0.0 and lower have a flaw or "access point" that allows rather very deep intrusion into the system from my lose understanding..

As 3.0.1 and up do not have -this- specific point of entry, and there is no way to "Downgrade" Firmware.
This doesn't mean they don't have their own doors that have not been made public yet but they likely do not go as "Deep" as the door found in FW 3.0.0 and lower.

If you want to do anything with HB, as others have said, wait and don't update.

There are those that argue "just upgrade, hb is so far away and there will be ways later" but from what I've seen they continue to bases these claims with comparisons to other hardware systems that continued to be hacked later down the line like the 3DS, PSP and PSVita; which is like comparing apple/orange and not applicable here. There is no downgrade root at this time and with the "EFuses" employed in the Switch's design, may never be an option.

When it comes down to it, it's your choice to make, enjoy what few cart games you own in offline solo mode and just wait out any updates, this also means not updating the games themselves either.
Or update and forget about HB for now understanding that doing so could very likely mean, no homebrew for you, or less capable homebrew.

Again, this is like trying to predict the future. Right now we know for sure 3.0.0 and down is safe and accessible for this, it will take time for what is being made to become what they call "End User Friendly" but it will come, just have to be patient.

Hope this ramble helps in some way.
~Istol

enhasa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone got this to work? I want to update BotW.
I'm getting firmware update nag on 2.0 firmware.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm on 2.3.0 and this didn't work. Does this mean I have no way to update the games?
I'm on 2.3.0 as well.

And I wonder if this works. Especially the guide to "remove firmware update data" by powering off. That would be cool.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anyone ever figure out how to get this working again?
It doesn't work, and frankly I don't believe it ever worked other than maybe if there was a small grace period when an update comes out to use some online services. Other than that any attempt to connect to nintendo servers (like to download a game update) will cause the system to be altered of an update and will refuse to download updates until you update the firmware.
If it did work on an older firmware, it definitely doesn't work anymore. Hence why this thread died several months ago

Reactions: FoxofGrey

ferrums

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
ferrums.de
XP
Country
Germany
No reason not to uodate.
You know, a kernel vulnerability may not be present in the current system.
It is even possible that you get one only by uodating to some specific fw version.
And as there is no way to uodate to a specific fw version that is not the last one, you could very well end up with no hack because you didn't uodate.

That said, I don't give a fuck about a hack or not a hack.
I prefer to live today and uodate.
There's a way to update to a specific firmware version.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: uoiea