Tutorial TN and IPS Displays - Which does my 3DS have?

Which model do you have?

• 2DS + TN

Votes: 33 3.5%
  • 2DS + IPS

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • O3DS + TN

Votes: 92 9.6%
  • O3DS + IPS

Votes: 18 1.9%
  • O3DSXL + TN

Votes: 67 7.0%
  • O3DSXL + IPS

Votes: 17 1.8%
  • N3DS + TN

Votes: 106 11.1%
  • N3DS + IPS

Votes: 22 2.3%
  • N3DSXL + TN

Votes: 144 15.1%
  • N3DSXL + IPS

Votes: 270 28.3%
  • 2DS + Dual IPS

• O3DS + Dual IPS

• O3DS XL + Dual IPS

• N3DS + Dual IPS

Votes: 31 3.2%
  • N3DSXL + Dual IPS

Votes: 149 15.6%
  • N2DSXL + TN

Votes: 40 4.2%
  • N2DSXL + IPS

Votes: 8 0.8%

• Total voters

SilverMay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Instead of $200, I'm going cheaper with a like-new Galaxy N3DSXL from eBay. Of course, this poses the risk of no 30-day return policy if I get dual TN. I'm planning on keeping it either way, but if possible I want to look into the screen type beforehand.
I already emailed the seller and explained the screen situation, along with a few pictures of what an IPS vs TN screen looked like. They emailed me back, saying that the screen had pretty good viewing angles and looked more like the IPS photos, but because they don't have a lot of given information or past knowledge on screen variations, I want to get the opinion of the community as well.
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600.jpg

These are the only images the seller posted that had the screen. The colors look fairly vivid, but I'm only a junkie; not an expert. What do you think?

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm more inclined to say top IPS bottom TN, but it's impossible to tell from a dead on photo, ask for a photo from the side.

Digitalcat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm pretty confident the New 3ds XL Snes Edition has dual IPS, or at least mine does. As the colours don't get washed out on both screens on angles, and it stays clear.

Reactions: Huggymir

miss_nakano

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Instead of $200, I'm going cheaper with a like-new Galaxy N3DSXL from eBay. Of course, this poses the risk of no 30-day return policy if I get dual TN. I'm planning on keeping it either way, but if possible I want to look into the screen type beforehand.
I already emailed the seller and explained the screen situation, along with a few pictures of what an IPS vs TN screen looked like. They emailed me back, saying that the screen had pretty good viewing angles and looked more like the IPS photos, but because they don't have a lot of given information or past knowledge on screen variations, I want to get the opinion of the community as well.
View attachment 107746 View attachment 107747

These are the only images the seller posted that had the screen. The colors look fairly vivid, but I'm only a junkie; not an expert. What do you think?

It is not clear with the screen facing head on. Ask the seller a photo from side and in a very dark room.

I'm pretty confident the New 3ds XL Snes Edition has dual IPS, or at least mine does. As the colours don't get washed out on both screens on angles, and it stays clear.

This is very surprising! Ithought

Huggymir

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Guys, and girls, I would like to know if there is any software that you can test the New 3DS XL Snes edition so I can see if its IPS on both or if its TN. Without harming the device. Just ordered mine yesterday here in Sweden, and I have - as many of You too - 30 days warranty to get the money back. Or replace the item. But how long is the warranty given by Nintendo themselves? One year or two? And will they replace the unit if it doesn't have IPS?

miss_nakano

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Guys, and girls, I would like to know if there is any software that you can test the New 3DS XL Snes edition so I can see if its IPS on both or if its TN. Without harming the device. Just ordered mine yesterday here in Sweden, and I have - as many of You too - 30 days warranty to get the money back. Or replace the item. But how long is the warranty given by Nintendo themselves? One year or two? And will they replace the unit if it doesn't have IPS?

There is, it's here https://github.com/joel16/3DSident/releases. But, if you simply show the picture of the screens here, then maybe I or anyone here can tell if yours are ips or not. If you do, be sure to take the picture from the SIDE angle and with black theme with power-save off.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes someone is selling new3xl I can't ask him to install that, can anyone help me ? I send you the photos
That is not anything you need to install per say, depending on their access to homebrew entry points.

You can guess by looking at the screens in different scenarios. Put something with a lot of color on the screen, or a lot of the same color on the screen. Now put it down and observe the same color as you look at it while you're directly over it, versus how it looks to you when viewing it from the sides. Did the color stay the same? Or did it appear to change shade? Of course this is not a great method as it's heavily opinionated and if you're not used to looking at the different types of displays, you might not notice the difference unless they were side-by-side.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning