Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild Wars 2 - Sterling's impressions and quick review​

Guild Wars 2 is the critically acclaimed MMO by Area Net. The first Guild Wars (Prophecies/Eye of the North, Factions, Nightfall, and related DLC) was a relatively innovative MMORPG. It was an instanced open world RPG based around a deeply woven story. Class determined your role as per usual and party choice was vital. In Guild Wars 2, most of this remains true. The exception is that there's less emphasis on party choice and more on the player's ability to control their class. Each class is totally self sufficient. On that same note, pure healers and tanks are all done away with. Gone are the days where meat shields need a dedicated priest, or buff whores. Guild wars 2 is much more fast paced; requiring quick reflexes and teamwork.

Area Net has transformed the series into something more along the lines of World of Warcraft. People who are used to Guild Wars may have a bit of trouble transitioning into the sequel. The same can be said of World of Warcraft players, but to much less extent. There are also much less instances much of the world map is open space filled to the brim with things to kill and do. The level cap has also been raised to level 80 and PvP has been revamped.

Guild Wars 2 doesn't mess around. It thrusts you into the world with very little direction. There's very little emphasis on questing, so much so that there's practically no physical questline. Instead, open world events called "Dynamic Events" occur frequently. Encouraging large crowds to gather and work towards the goal. Every event is hand scripted and many are very rare opportunities, sometimes it make take months for an event to take a similar turn of events.

Crafting is also a new addition. For people who are crafters, there's plenty to gather and even more to put together. You can also buy your equipment, but on a similar level such equipment is usually inferior to reward items and crafted items. An auction house is also available

Bottom line: Worth it. While the game is still quite young and content is basic at the moment, the combat is very fun and refreshing and the way questing is set out is also refreshing. As a general rule, there are a few barriers most people have trouble overcoming. The fact the game does not baby you is frustrating at times. "I want to craft something... Well, you have to wander over to the level 10 area to learn a trade first..." *Dies several times on the first run* Such things can cause a player to get very frustrated.

The combat also has a learning curve. Changing your view while in combat is a pain sometimes for people like me who have trouble with keyboard and mouse, the layout can be a night mare. I'd recommend getting a nice gaming mouse with some great hotkey options. Once you pick up on the finer points and get intimate with your character, and figure out how you want to play you'll definitely prefer this combat over Guild Wars.

Most people who played Guild Wars did so with the story. Guild Wars 2 is pretty disappointing in this aspect so far from what I've seen. I am admittedly not very far in the game, but Guild Wars picked up pretty quickly on the story line.

The difficulty in leveling is pretty screwy too. It's actually only slightly worse than the Prophecies campaign, but people got used to the hand fed levels of Factions and Nightfall (not a bad thing IMO). This is one of (if not THE) main complaints. You get used to the pace pretty fast though. I've actually leveled 3 character past 10 in the last two days.

Get past these barriers and you'll find Guild Wars 2 to be very enjoyable. It's fast paced and deep combat system works perfectly with the large scale events and open world. Crafting provides another aspect of customization with also helps the combat. The players are also pretty cool so far. I've yet to find a beggar, or annoying person. I think it was worth every penny I paid with.

If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them.

(AAARRRRGGGHHH!! I cannot seem to get the user tag fuction to work properly...)

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope you know Anet considers comparing their games to WOW an insult. GW1 had a rule against comparing it to non-anet games in global local and international chats. Currently they are working on fixing many bugs to care.

The level cap in the first guild wars is 20. It was raised to 80 in guild wars 2. however there has been non-beta players who reach level 80 legit within 48 hours of it's release.

Your right. It does take some getting used to GW2 after player GW1 for so long. Guild Wars 2 is nearly GINO, Guild Wars in name only.

Level thing is right. I nearly forget the first campaign for guild wars had the level thing too. The next quest is almost always 4-5 levels higher than your last quest. The level you where when you completed your first personal story quest sets the pace for the rest of the game. Topically those there is only a 1 or 2 level difference between what someone else has for a quest and what you have for it.

Over all I agree with the review though. Nice job.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not really a comparison, only a vibe. Beyond what I've seen in WoW videos, I've got zero experience in WoW. It seems to me that WoW players would be able to get into the game easier than long time Guild Wars players like me. Also, I didn't mean to put that 20 in there. I know the cap is 80 here. I had my mind on GW and my fingers work autonomously sometimes. There's also no "Holy Trinity". The roles of Tank and Healer are almost non-existent. I mentioned it up there, but I feel as though it needs more of an explanation.

If anyone wants to play, send me a PM. I don't know if there's such a thing as cross server chat, and I have a feeling server moves are going to be a pain in the ass (we should have an official GBAtemp home world.)

Also, HOW THE FUCK DO PEOPLE GET TO THE CAP IN LESS THAN 48 HOURS?! That's seriously no lifeing it.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know you can join multiple guilds this time around and each guild can span multiple servers. Your WvW rewards though only count for the server your on. In other words: If guild members move to another server they are not booted out. And they earn world take over for the new server. I am on two Guilds currently. One with players mostly on at night and weekends & another with players on during the day and rarely on weeks. That being said, I am not sure if the guild chat works across servers. If it doesn't, really it should.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't keep up much with the MMO scene, but from what I've heard, this game blows the competition out of the water. Plus, not having to pay monthly fees is a sweet deal.

I can't see myself getting into any MMOs anytime soon, but this would be the one for me.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't keep up much with the MMO scene, but from what I've heard, this game blows the competition out of the water. Plus, not having to pay monthly fees is a sweet deal.

I can't see myself getting into any MMOs anytime soon, but this would be the one for me.

The no monthly fee has always been one of the great things about Guild Wars. For the content, 60 dollars is a steal, plus if they release expansions, you can bet it'll be even better. Factions and Nightfall were both superb.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This makes me want to write my own review *ponders*

Decent review for a quick look though. Should consider fleshing it out when you have time/more experience with the game.

Reactions: 1 person

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The no monthly fee has always been one of the great things about Guild Wars. For the content, 60 dollars is a steal, plus if they release expansions, you can bet it'll be even better. Factions and Nightfall were both superb.

Plus gamestop always put the expansions on sale for 19.99 during the summer. I got all them that way.

bentbob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Take your first character all the way through, getting to 80 is not that hard... Plan your next character for Crafting. I took mine from 50-60 in 20-30mins with crafting and the crafting scrolls... Later on when you are in discovery you get easily get 28k for making a new longbow, etc..

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Also, HOW THE FUCK DO PEOPLE GET TO THE CAP IN LESS THAN 48 HOURS?! That's seriously no lifeing it.
Crafting.
If everyone in a guild pools in to help one crafter then they gain levels like candy.

But even without crafting the levelling is pretty easy.
Are you doing your personal story quests? Those give you a good chunk.
Buy gathering tools too, each gather gives experience.

I've gotten two characters to 35 in a week or so.
When you think that you've run out of level appropriate things to do in your area, remember that there are 4 other race area's worth of content for you.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is cross-server chat and there will be cross-server grouping (called guesting) in the future. I've attempted to group with Originality on the overflow server but that didn't work. But you can mail items even to servers in other regions (found him a nice pair of boots and sent them his way).

All you need to do to add a player who isn't on your server to your friends list is use their arenanet tag. Mine is exangel.4172

I have a guild on Stormbluff Isle which is small but very close to having the Guild Stash unlocked (we also have politics and economics level 1) because the few players presently in my guild are active daily (and therefore we have gained some solid influence, even though the occasion we can group up is rare). My guild is called Sacred [SD] if anyone wants to know before asking me more.

I'm only level 28 (ranger) at the moment because I don't have long stretches to play daily..

WvW automatically levels you to 80 (during PVP), but I haven't actually participated yet because I wanted to be on vent with a friend first. I do have vent and mumble servers for the guild if we should need them.

edit: On adding to friends list-- a person who has added you but you haven't added in return will show up in the "Followers" list on your friends list. You probably need to return the "add" to actually communicate.

edit2: I love the personal story, but the overall story of the game is a lot larger; and therefore, impossible to give illustration to in the very beginning. I find the entry to the game story to be more like starting out in Skyrim. I didn't play very much of Guild Wars 1, but I wasn't nearly as intrigued to explore and solo play was unbearable after level 9 for me. I have yet to hit a brick wall of interest in the story and exploration in GW2.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild Wars had the hero system in place to make it more bearable to go solo and I've not yet done my personal missions yet. Crafting does indeed net a butt ton of levels.

Zarcon

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Guild Wars had the hero system in place to make it more bearable to go solo and I've not yet done my personal missions yet. Crafting does indeed net a butt ton of levels.
Well, by nature of the game you don't really need NPC help.
Since everyone gets full exp/drops for doing stuff you have no reason not to help random people.
It's what the dynamic events are for, it gets everyone to gather in one spot.
Unless the map you're in is completely devoid of any other players anyway.

Reactions: 2 people

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The hero system wasn't enough, at least before the first expansion. For me. That's just my taste. I still bought the game a second time after all the expansions were out back in 2010 at the suggestion of friends from Aion. In GW1, if you wanted to play with others you had to meet them out of combat first. That made it hard for me (and required intentional socializing) to meet players in my content level compared to grouping in FFXI or WoW.

On the other hand, in GW2, as Zarcon describes, the events on maps make it much easier to meet up with random players to group, & even if you're not partied you have equal exp and loot (although your event participation upon completion is determined more by overall damage done). Many times I've wound up in groups of 7+ people roaming from event to event (at least in the human and charr starting zones). I've also met a couple people that became solid friends just because we were clearing the same stuff.

I truly look forward to being able to group with players from other realms because most of my friends had other plans and did not create their characters on Stormbluff Isle. Obviously they still have a lot of fine tuning to work out before they can bring in such a major feature. It was only this past day that they finally put the official forums online. At least according to the facebook feed.

Did you know that ANet had to temporarily disable digital sales because the sales exceeded capacity? I find that pretty impressive.

What my friends and I have said about a lot of the finer details of this game, is that ANet took pretty much every element of MMO's that people complained about, and addressed it in some way, doing better than existing MMO's have done. There are so many subtle details I've noticed as an MMO veteran that impress me, not to mention the speed with which developers have addressed postlaunch issues.
1. Switching characters doesn't reset your chat log. In fact, you'll still receive whispers as long as you don't fully log out. Something I've never seen in another MMO without using a third-party add-on.
2. I haven't seen multi-Guild membership implemented well since FFXI; honestly, I cannot recall having seen it at all.
3. The economy is awesome. I have had no issue affording my skills (edit: there's a book at level 11 to unlock some traits.. compared to some other MMOs where you were constantly broke) and I've even bought some upgrades from the trade system without much effect to my savings. I do have a reason to save (influence from the Guild Promoter) but I've made money easily as well from selling occasional dyes found, and occasional green quality items.
4. Selling in the trade system from anywhere. Brilliant.
5. Really don't feel penalized if I choose not to use the gem system. I did buy some gems for chest keys and an extra bag slot but I feel that if I had more time to play, I could just as easily buy gems with my in-game gold.
6. Downscaling very nicely implemented. I am rewarded for grouping with friends newer to the game, or I can log-in just to do my daily achievements really easily in the low level areas without negatively impacting low level players.

edit: 7: Unrefined crafting materials having account-wide unlimited storage! How could I not mention that? I can spend several hours straight "questing" (exploring and completing map events/hearts/vistas/achievements) without having to talk to a vendor if I keep salvage kits on me.

I guess that's just for starters.

Zarcon

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yup yup, GW2 might not be completely revolutionary, but it addresses a lot of common problems and quirks.

On top of what exangel mentioned:

The Trading House (Auction House) is game-wide.
As it it's shared across ALL servers. The economy will always be stable regardless of the state of your particular server.
In the odd chance that servers get merged it won't screw anything up.

You can place custom orders on the TH. You can often buy things for much cheaper than what people are listing them due to...
You can instantly sell to the highest order for an item on the TH.

As of a few days ago you can craft with items directly from your bank. Incredibly handy not needing to figure out what items you need to pull out from the bank all the time.

Crafting is worth pursuing for:
-Experience. You gain a good chunk of experience for discovering recipes and crafting items.
-Stat customization. All gear of the same rarity and level have the same stats regardless if you found it or crafted it. If you craft you have more control over what attribute bonuses they get. Also a bit easier to craft the higher rarity things than to find a full set of them with attributes you may not want.
-Gear skins. The craftable things all have unique appearances that you may want to transmorgrify. (You can use the appearance of one item and the stats of another item if they're both the same type using transmutation stones. You can buy these with gems (the cash shop) but you'll get a ton from just playing the game. Especially if you explore for map completion.)

There's really a ton of other things that are done right, but most of them are small tiny details.
But those things add up.

Reactions: 2 people

Jaems

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Been playing this since the second BWE. Solid game with a few rough spots that'll likely be worked out in the coming months.

The story I feel is somewhat lacking so far in comparison to Prophecies. Possibly because they had to focus on multiple races/choices with this game? It all just feels really derivative.
Dynamic events also sometimes just feel like complete zerging and you don't really feel like you're doing much.

Besides that, I'm enjoying the game quite a lot.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to say that I haven't logged into GW2 since I posted this. The game was just too different and did not appeal to me. For anyone that still plays, or has played since their updates, did anything hold your interest?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.