ROM Hack Gyakuten Saiban 1-3 Translation

CowboyJoseph64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have another bug, although it was for the previous patch, I didn't see it get mentioned. I stupidly lost the save data, but I already mentioned it to people on a different forum:
upload_2017-4-25_21-51-30.png

It was in Case 2 in the second investigation, when you're breaking her psych lock about breaking the urn. I didn't get this bug when I played it on the wii emulator. I guess it was an emulation issue?

Last edited by CowboyJoseph64,

h3rmit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Thank you for the feedback.

That's weird, though. I thought I've fixed that specific bug a long time ago, back in patch 009:

• Fixed a known crash when attempting to unlock the psyche-lock of Adrian Andrews in case 2-6.
  • Fixed several crashes when talking to Adrian Andrews after the Psyche-Lock has been unlocked in case 2-6.

Can you confirm that the bug still exists in later patches?

Are you sure you were not using a patch before 009?

P.S.: Also, after reading your comments to the other forum, I think I have to clarify one thing. This project was initially started as a fan translation by broco a long time ago. This translation project was dropped when the English NDS version was released. I picked it up just to port the NDS version back to GBA. I never claimed that I'm doing an original translation from Japanese to English.

Last edited by h3rmit,
Reactions: mikeprado30

CowboyJoseph64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
P.S.: Also, after reading your comments to the other forum, I think I have to clarify one thing. This project was initially started as a fan translation by broco a long time ago. This translation project was dropped when the English NDS version was released. I picked it up just to port the NDS version back to GBA. I never claimed that I'm doing an original translation from Japanese to English.
I know, that was just me explaining it. I would actually prefer if you took it from the DS version, that's a perfectly good translation.

Thank you for the feedback.

That's weird, though. I thought I've fixed that specific bug a long time ago, back in patch 009:

Can you confirm that the bug still exists in later patches?

Are you sure you were not using a patch before 009?
I can confirm that I was using the patch right before the current one, and you didn't mention fixing it in the current patch, so it should still be there... it might have been a freak accident or something, I dunno. I'll be sure to make a save state if I ever go to that point again.

I remember something not being translated... I forget where exactly it was, though. There was this one part in case 3 where you talk to an old man with a red nose, and you decide if you should listen to a long rant. The choices on that were still in Japanese. I severely apologize for not remembering any more details on where it was.

...at the very least, I have a save state for the loop in case 5 that you couldn't pinpoint. Just press Sister Bikini on the part of her testimony that's selected, and you can see the bug I described. This is on the latest patch.

Edit: Oh, and one more thing.
upload_2017-4-26_1-54-46.png

Edit 2: I keep stacking these on, huh. The sign in the fruit park from case 3 is still in japanese.

Edit 3: when gumshoe is explaining the metal detector, he's still going on about touching a bar or something. Neither of those are present...

...Just as I'm about to get a happy ending...
upload_2017-4-26_18-7-32.png

...the game crashes, after franzika von karma tells phoenix wright that he doesn't understand women.
The End.

Attachments

• Trials and Tribulations save state.zip
    101.4 KB · Views: 221
Last edited by CowboyJoseph64,

h3rmit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Gyakuten Saiban 3 Patch 015.5

• Fixed an infinite loop in case 5-4 while cross-examining Sister Bikini

• Repacked case 5-15 to fix a crash while talking to Franziska in the defendant lobby

• Translated the background image of Vitamin Square

@CowboyJoseph64:
Thanks, your savegame was really helpful. I was able to confirm and reproduce the bug when pressing Sister Bikini, both in your savegame and my own savegame. It was caused by a conditional jump to a wrong offset, as I described in an earlier post.

Also, I was able to confirm and reproduce Franziska's crash right before the ending. I repacked case 5-15 and it seems to have been solved. The original japanese case 5-15 seems to be a little corrupt at its ending, so a few pointers may have gone wrong during the translation.

I didn't understand why you're showing the Weather data report screenshot.

Last edited by h3rmit,
Reactions: Jubash

Tammyads

Trophies
XP
Country
Came back to check up on this. Good job so cool :) I really loved the ds games but playing through 3 now on the gba
is really cool. Thanks for your hard work, if I find any bugs I will say ^^

D

Deleted User

I have also encountered the crash after presenting the pink paint stain to Adrian to break her psyche lock in patch 15.4.

Also, examining the buzzer at KB security after it has been added to the court record causes an infinite loop.

There's one more thing I forgot. There's a small graphical bug at the end of the blackmail letter.

Attachments

• PW3 T&T Save.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 233
  • PW3 T&T_01.png
    PW3 T&T_01.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 258
Last edited by ,
D

Deleted User

Found a new bug, unfortunately the game crashes when moving to Blue Screens Inc. (How ironic.)

Attachments

• PW3 T&T Case 3.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 213

h3rmit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Found a new bug, unfortunately the game crashes when moving to Blue Screens Inc. (How ironic.)

Thanks for the feedback.

I was able to confirm the bug, but I still got no clue why it happens. I will research it a bit more.

P.S.: The savegame you attached is the same with the one a few posts above.

Because when they're directly asking for evidence, "Select" is cut off. That's what I was showing.

Ah, I see. Ok, I will try to rearrange the buttons at some point. Right now, I don't know where their coordinates reside inside the ROM, but eventually I will probably find them.

D

Deleted User

I apologize for that. I thought I had the proper save.

Edit: Updated the attached save with the correct one. I hope it can still be of some use.

Last edited by ,

h3rmit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Gyakuten Saiban 3 Patch 015.7

• Repacked the background image of Vitamin Square to fix a crash

• Re-translated cases 3-5, 3-6 and 3-7 to fix some potential crashes and correct a few text colors

• Replaced the Select/Stop/Evidence/People tags with a better font

It seems the crash at Blue Screen was caused by the translated background image of Vitamin Square, which was added in patch 015.5. The compressed english image was a few bytes larger than the original japanese, so it leaked a few bytes into the header of the next image, effectively corrupting it. The next image just happened to be the background of Blue Screen Inc.

I altered a few pixels in the Vitamin Square image, to make it more compressible. Now it fits perfectly.

@CowboyJoseph64: I was still unable to locate the coordinates of the Select/Stop/Evidence/People tags, but I replaced their graphics with a more standard font. I will fix the "Select" being cut off as soon as I locate its coordinates.

Last edited by h3rmit,

Objection!

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's really nice to see that h3rmit is once again active.

Btw, is there a way for you to make the text move in the center? Like during the green texts and testimony?

During the very first patch of the game, the (Dolores Willow, Jack Richford) patch, when you save/load, the text will not glitch.

Also, during case one, there was a part (this happens when Phoenix says "let go of my something..")when it was Phoenix's text, the nametag Mia didn't change to Phoenix.

Also Phoenix's animation glitch, where when he sneezes his animation won't work, it's really awkward.

gs3_1493465230981.png

Also, I found this! The Press button should disappear, during a cross examination, when it needs three lines and it needs to go to the 2nd textbox and you check an evidence during the 1st 2 lines, this happens.

Last edited by Objection!,

h3rmit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Ok, I've studied this old patch for a few hours.

While it's impressive that it redraws the text correctly after a Save/Load screen, there is a major drawback. It crashes your savegame if you save during a multiple choice screen.

I've dug deep into the assembly code, but I haven't yet figured out how to fix this crash. If I can fix it, I will try to implement the redrawing functionality into GS3.

Reactions: Objection!

h3rmit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Ok, I may be onto something here.

It seems that the redisplay font routine is called on at least 3 separate events, with different parameters:
  • When returning from the evidence details screen.
  • When returning from a Save/Load screen.
  • When loading the game from a savegame.

This means that I will have to deal with at least 3 separate instances differently.

Up until now, the main font routine and the redisplay font routine were redirected to the same code, which handles the display of English characters. This complicated things even more.

I've split this code into 2 separate copies, and I redirected each of the two original routines to their own, respective copy. This will make altering the redisplay routine easier, without breaking the main one.

For anyone curious, this is a screenshot of my PC screen while I'm working on the redisplay font routine:
Working_on_GS3_redisplay.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.