Hacking Having Trouble Getting A Game To Run? READ THIS!

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Having Trouble Getting A Game To Run?

If you want newer games to run, here's what you should try, in order.​

1. Latest official software.
    Go to the site printed on your cart (the EXACT site, pay attention when typing it), download and set up the latest software, see if that fixes it. If there's no site printed or the site is down, linfoxdomain (outdated) or filetrip are good resources for finding downloads. If the game just came out (like in the past few days or weeks) you may have to wait a bit, as flash cart companies don't update their stuff for every single game, they like to wait and fix a lot of games at once.

2. AP-bypassing options.
    Some carts have a setting or mode that will disable AP in games (to get them all running), but it may also disable extra features such as cheating and soft-reset, so these options tend to be turned off by default. This can be called things such as "clean mode" or "special mode". This is sometimes required to get ROMs running right after they come out, before a full update to support them has happened.

3. A clean ROM.
    If the ROM you're using has been modified in some way there's a chance it might not work on certain carts. This includes AP patching! You should NOT AP patch ROMs that are already supported by your cart's software, as your cart is automatically patching them as they run and being patched twice in different ways can screw things up. So if you were using an AP patch for your ROM and then your cart updates to support it, you should change over to a clean ROM. In addition sometimes when transferring ROMs between carts small amounts of damage to the data can occur (especially if you're using a cheap card reader like that T-flash one), so while the ROM may appear to be fine, it could actually have been modified on accident and may not run.

First go to the AdvanScene database and search for the game you're having issues with (make sure to check "NDS"). In the results, find the entry you have. Make sure it actually has a number (that it's not XXXX), and the region is on the right-hand side, pay attention to that. Click on the game's name. In the new page under "Rom Info:" find "Crc32", that's the hash of the known-proper release.

Download CRC32.exe (click the direct download link below the main button!) and run it. Click the ellipses button (...) to the right of the file box and select your ROM file. It may take a minute to calculate, then it will display the CRC32, which you should compare to the one listed on AdvanScene. If you find that the ROM you're having trouble with doesn't match the known clean ROM, then you'll want to redump it with more updated dumping tools, or redownload it (preferably from a site other than the one you used originally as their copy may be bad/damaged in the first place).

4. A working MicroSD card.
    If the filesystem on your MicroSD card is damaged it can cause all sorts of trouble with running games. First copy everything off of your MicroSD, then run this program to format it properly. After that copy everything back, and see if the game runs properly.

If, however, formatting did not fix the issue and a ROM's CRC shows up as incorrect after transferring the ROM to your flash cart (or the ROM isn't the full size once it's on your flash cart), then either your MicroSD reader, or your MicroSD is malfunctioning and needs replacement (because it has a write issue). In addition even if the ROMs show up fine after transferring them on, if they become corrupt while transferring them off, then the card has a read issue and needs replacing too. This is pretty common with cheap-o MicroSDs from china/ebay/import shops, you should always buy your MicroSDs from a physical shop in your area, and stick to known-good brands. Unbranded MicroSDs are just asking for trouble, and fakes are everywhere on eBay.

5. YSmenu or other alternate software.
    If there's no official support for your flash cart anymore then you can try an alternate softwareare. If you have an original R4 (not R4i Green King Hyper+ or whatever) or clone of the original (hardware-wise, not necessarily name-wise) you can try Wood R4. If you have something else you'll have to see if you can run YSMenu, it has updates to the data files to run new games.

6. Individual game patches.
    If there's no way to run better software on your cart, you'll have to hunt out patches for the games and apply them to your ROM. The DS-Scene ROM tool has a lot of patches, but while patching individual games used to be very common, it's increasingly rare for patches to be made because there's multiple carts that can run new games without patches now, and multiple alternate softwares for other carts that add support for new games, so not every game has a patch. For individual games that patcher doesn't support, you'll need to hunt out the patches yourself via google.

7. A new cart.
    If you can't run any decent software/menu on your cart and there's no patches for the games you want to play (and it's not a new game), your cart's a piece of crap and you should buy a decent one, to put it bluntly. While many sites may tout R4 clones as amazing stuff and charge $65 for them, in reality even the best flash cart is only about $35, and mainstream ones with less features (that can still play all the latest games) can be had for $20 or less.

Changelog said:
4/1/2013 - Moved "A working MicroSD card" up in the list, changed and conformed the title for movement.
11/25/2012 - Fixed the spacing from the forum move, changed the changelog to read like the others... dunno' why I had it ascending in the first place.
10/7/2012 - Linked to the DS-scene ROM tool since it does individual patches.
10/5/2012 - Big update. Changed a lot of wording, added mention of filetrip, made RGF's thread the main alt software thread, mentioned to not AP patch already-supported ROMs (a disturbingly-common thing nowadays), reformed the format section into a section about MicroSD problems in general, removed the infolib stuff since it's outdated, re-arranged the remaining sections.
8/16/2012 - Edited some wording, specifically about clean versus patched ROMs and AP patches.
2/4/2012 - Created.

Dark Blade

Flippin' Insane
Trophies
XP
Country
Good post. Hopefully this will clear majority of the problems people have with new games.
grog.gif

Reactions: Margen67

escherbach

Trophies
XP
Country
Need to emphasise option 4 - reformat with https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ (Full Overwrite reformat)

Problem is - if you google for Pokemon White 2 & Black 2 not working on R4i Gold - you get a load of rubbish links

I spent a couple of days downloading all sorts of patched versions of the rom and reformatting the card in WINDOWS - before I discovered the sd card formatting program above - which eventually fixes the red Loading screen problem with pokemon white 2

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Need to emphasise option 4 - reformat with https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ (Full Overwrite reformat)

Problem is - if you google for Pokemon White 2 & Black 2 not working on R4i Gold - you get a load of rubbish links

I spent a couple of days downloading all sorts of patched versions of the rom and reformatting the card in WINDOWS - before I discovered the sd card formatting program above - which eventually fixes the red Loading screen problem with pokemon white 2

I find this strange though I have a 16GB micro sd card for my r4i gold my step brother has a r4i gold as well but with an 8GB micro sd card and my friend has as well an r4i gold with an 8GB micro sd card and I can load up pokemon white/black 2 and golden sun dark dawn no problem I never had to format my card since I got it but for their cards the games don't load pokemon gives the red loading screen and golden sun dark dawn gives a black screen after the loading screen any idea's? i am prepared to try the above posted sd card formatter

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I find this strange though I have a 16GB micro sd card for my r4i gold my step brother has a r4i gold as well but with an 8GB micro sd card and my friend has as well an r4i gold with an 8GB micro sd card and I can load up pokemon white/black 2 and golden sun dark dawn no problem I never had to format my card since I got it but for their cards the games don't load pokemon gives the red loading screen and golden sun dark dawn gives a black screen after the loading screen any idea's? i am prepared to try the above posted sd card formatter
The formatter solves a surprisingly-large number of issues. Most formatting things do not format SD cards for the best reading efficiency.

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The formatter solves a surprisingly-large number of issues. Most formatting things do not format SD cards for the best reading efficiency.
rydian reread my post my 16GB hasn't been formatted since I got it in my hands from the mail man and it plays them no problem but the 8gb cards that I received don't play those games

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
rydian reread my post my 16GB hasn't been formatted since I got it in my hands from the mail man and it plays them no problem but the 8gb cards that I received don't play those games
... so? :P Not all MicroSDs come with filessytem issues on them already (in fact most don't and only develop filesystem issues over time). For the ones that are having issues, try the software and see if it corrects them.

Nirmonculus

Trophies
XP
Country
I hope this is the right thread for asking this question.

I'm using a Japanese dsi and I want to play a US region game, the problem is the language defaults to Japanese...
is there a way around it?

Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Check cpuid make sure ram sockets are detected
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    (and i'm fibered, 5gb shared downloads, 1gb upload)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or even in bios
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    its mostly when starting firefox that it's noticible slower. Opening and loading the homepage. Tried fresh installs and all.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Knowing your system specs would help
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    if you're in win 11, have you checked which graphical processor Firefox was using ?
    after it's open, its a bit slower too at loading pages, but not as noticeable as the initial startup and homepage loading
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    can make a little difference
    You mean as in hardware acceleration on or off?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Went to make cup noodles, spilled boiling water on me then the kettle decided to pop
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why I saw a kettle with wifi
    Will try that now
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    ouch @K3Nv2 hope nothing's too bad !
    xda a good site. My go to site for phone shit. :)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Females have burnt me worse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    females don't exist
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Tamales exist.
    +1
    Setting FF to max performance on my gpu made it slower. lol. Tried it on Edge too just to see, and it made Edge slower too. lol
    Thanks for trying. :)
    ill just use edge and watch nintendo videos on firefox. lolol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The everything beagle cup noodles are actually pretty decent
    dog noodles. mmmmmm.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    monkey brains
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: monkey brains