retroisbest

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
Please can you help me identify if my game is fake or not, it has a tri wing screw, the font looks ok, the case looks ok but the black blob is worrying!
There is no indented numbers anywhere on the label either, I've started collecting them and this is the first I have with no indented number.
I did read if the PCB lacked an MX chip it's almost no doubt a fake, but my PCB does have one.

Thankyou!

20170928_161947.jpg 20170928_161950.jpg 20170928_161954.jpg 20170928_162007.jpg

Last edited by retroisbest,

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
that game is fake.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

nah that's legit
avoid sarcasm please...

did read if the PCB lacked an MX chip
that's might not be true lol...

see the black circle? if it has it, it's fake.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
that game is fake.

avoid sarcasm please...

that's might not be true lol...

see the black circle? if it has it, it's fake.
Dang they really improved the bootleg carts over time. I remember when they were incredibly easy to spot, using a battety to keep the ROM alive for some time.

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Dang they really improved the bootleg carts over time. I remember when they were incredibly easy to spot, using a battety to keep the ROM alive for some time.
a) not the ROM, but the SRAM. The ROM is not volatile, but the savegame is.

b) This is still incredibly easy to idetify as a fake. The "Game Boy Advance" lettering on the front looks way different that on an original cart, it's way too thin. The Nintendo logo on the back is also using a wrong font (Particularly noticable with the letters "N" "e" and "d" but also "i", "t" "n" and "o"). You don't even need to compare it to an original cart to see that something is off. The label is the only thing about this cartridge that's somewhat convincing because we only have the photo to judge it by. I am pretty confident though that in person you'd be able to easily identify the label as fake as well, it will probably lack the imprinted 4-digit code. Last but not least is the black blob on the Board itself. That is a dead giveaway this is fake - No official Nintendo licensed game will ever use a COB (chip-on-board)*.

*except for a few early NES titles where Nintendo was using this method.

Last edited by Localhorst86,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: I know. Nice to see new members here, aside from the ongoing spam problem.