• Total voters

Arkansaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Just thought I would share my experiences with three different setups on Windows and MACycle

1. Ethernet + Intel wireless (Win 7, Linux, although the OS is not really impt for this case)

Result: Failed

Explanation: Intel explicitly restricts mac spoofing, to the extent that even if the wireless adapter (Wi-Fi)'s mac is changed, the change is not propagated to the hostednetwork/miniport adapter. It was bad luck that I started testing with this setup which led to some confusion until I found a working setup in the next..

See http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-031081.htm for more info

2. Ethernet + ASUS usb wifi dongle (XP)

Result: Succeeded

Explanation: No such rubbish for ASUS, although the steps varied a little (perhaps also because this is on XP). ASUS software can already configure the wireless adapter as a SoftAP (and shares the internet connection from the wired adapter), so all that remains is to set the ssid to attwifi (with passphrase), and rename the wireless adapter to Wi-Fi. MACycle had no problems rotating macs for Wi-Fi. hostednetwork is not applicable here and no need to configure ICS separately.

3. Ethernet (optional) + onboard Broadcom wireless (Win 7)

Result: Succeeded

Explanation: This was the closest to the instructions described here - http://gbatemp.net/threads/homepass-chaldrons-mac-cycler-for-windows.352935/
except that only one network adapter is used (the Wi-Fi). Turns out that under Windows 7, the wireless adapter can still connect to regular networks while serving as SoftAP/hostednetwork, so this can work by having Wi-Fi itself share its internet connection to the miniport adapter. The downside is that the internet will be disrupted for normal activity every time the mac for Wi-Fi is changed, but for Streetpass purposes it is still perfectly fine.

NB: Ethernet was listed as I used it for initial testing and found it to be working, before realizing that it isn't essential.

Refer to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd815243(v=vs.85).aspx for more info.

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
EDIT: sorry different topic
So i Noticed something weird, barely started the software however here's the output:

Okay, will use MACs in a defined order.
Switching to the next MAC. Please wait...
Waiting 3 seconds for cooldown...
Restarting hostednetwork...
Using MAC 1 of 16, 4E53504F4F46.
Skipping to next MAC Address...
Switching to the next MAC. Please wait...
Waiting 3 seconds for cooldown...
Restarting hostednetwork...
Using MAC 2 of 16, 4E53504F4F40.
Canceling the cycle...
The cycle was cancled.
Done!

here's the problem i've been running wireless survey on tomato seeing how 3ds dosen't seem to see it.

when mac was supposed to be 4E53504F4F46 the actual mac was 1E53504F4F46.
and when it was supposed to be 4E53504F4F40 it was 1E53504F4F40

i.e. 1 instead of 4 at the begining.

EDIT: sorry different topic

jczoe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I tried following this. My Wi-Fi network changes mac along with the hosted i named NZ@McD1 because naming it attwifi gives me attwifi 2 instead. couple seconds after the mac cycler changes mac, the nintendo zone logo starts glowing. The netword is saved on the 3ds and it got internet access. Everything seems to be working ok but i get no tags. what can i try?

windows 8
tl-wn722n

FILM

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought this dongle:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009UWLF62/ref=cm_sw_su_dp
installed the drivers, and the included utility tool.

I renamed the wifi connection to "Wi-Fi" as mentioned, named the SSID to 'attnwifi' with the utility tool.
I then right clicked on the bottom right icon for the tool and set it to AP mode and it works perfectly with the Mac Cycler on my laptop.

In regards to JP games, are we just sort of shit out of luck when it comes to getting streetpass data? Would I need a specific mac address to get data for Yokai Watch for example?
Edit: Just got a Yokai data so I guess it's no biggie :O

Syphos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I bought this dongle:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009UWLF62/ref=cm_sw_su_dp
installed the drivers, and the included utility tool.

Ralink RT3070 Chipset with AP mode.

Let me guess, you had to install that Ralink thing?
This thing might work like my dongle does - giving a damn about hostednetwork / Virtual Wifi settings.

Don't change much around. Once it works, why change unless you are computer savvy.

apoptygma

Trophies
XP
Country
I need some help with this -
I have a working Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter on the Physical card named "Wi-Fi"
If I set this program (in the settings tab) to Network Adapater: WiFi it works fine MAC address cycles as it's supposed to, but if I set it to attwifi (the Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter) the MAC never changes.
What am I doing wrong?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse