• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

How do you calculate time differences between countries?

ComeTurismO

CTO
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OK, I'm getting tired of this and resorted here for help for my International Business class.

So, for example, in Toronto it is Eastern Savings Time (UTC-5). All countries on the left side is a day behind while on the right, it's a day ahead. In Frankfurt Germany, it's CEST (UTC+3) (according to my textbook).

If it's 9 AM in Toronto what time would it be in Germany? Do I just calculate the numbers it took for me to go from UTC -5 to UTC +3? I'm so confused, I get different answers from different websites :ohnoes:

Thanks a lot, lol

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada

I'm In Toronto, and I've used Google. I already said that. But I get different answers from every other website.
I have to show the math for a test or for the homework
Well I can tell you Toronto is 3 hours ahead of Vancouver (Where I am). If you think of it that was it's not too hard. Try to study the time zones on maps.

Each timezone is 15 Degrees latitude and is 1 hour increase in timezone. 15 x 24 = 360 degrees. Some timezones are fucked like North Korea who don't care about anybody else.

Last edited by Luckkill4u,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I linked this elsewhere but to be a bastard I will link it here as well

That might be why you are getting different answers from your rather simplified textbook example as it might not account for daylight savings where some websites might, or might not account for it properly. In the real world it is a complete bastard with all sorts of things happening from companies just not doing any business during the change, to using time zones of other countries/parts of theirs, to using different hours (the video above mentions China which is huge and uses one zone, so parts of China just start work at 11am instead which is far more sensible from where I sit).

Oh and pro tip if it has not already been given, just use 24 hour time.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, DST is bull shit and should go away already, we don't need it. Causes more harm and confusion than good.

As for time zones, I know most countries time zones in my head, esp Europe and Asia. But DST fucks that up, lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1