Gaming How is the OG Xbox BC for you?

Deleted member 42501

OP
Trophies
XP
I've just picked up a 360 to play the OG Xbox releases of Outrun 2 and 2006 and noticed straight away that the framerate isn't as smooth as it was. This was a surprise as I expected it to be the same if not better. The graphics look much crisper thanks to the HDMI output but generally I'm wondering what has your experience been of BC titles, esp racers/fast framerates in comparison to the real hardware?

Thanks

Deleted member 42501

OP
Trophies
XP
Thanks, that appears to list the same issues so its the emulation profile. You can tell that the MS techs put a lot of time into the Halo wrapper whereas everything else seems a bit slapdash. Was this implementation ever customized or hacked in any way as it really impinges on the flow of the game.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's emulation.
If I wanted 100% compatibility/no glitches, I'd just use me original Xbox.

JTAG/RGH consoles with a hacked emulator are able to play some more games and generally has a tad better compatibility but it won't be perfect ever.

MS did announce Xbox BC on the XBoneX and Xbone.
I'm curious to how that plays out.

Deleted member 42501

OP
Trophies
XP
True, the whole use the OG Xbox thing isn't really a go as the picture looks like ass on a HDTV, the overall sharpness of the image on 360 is leaps and bounds ahead but its these glitches - especially the FPS drop - that puts a huge crimp on the game overall and that's what I would like to remedy.

If the Xbone supports OG Xbox BC that would be great so I look forward to those developments.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Heh, funny you say that.
Compare Black on the original Xbox to King Kong on the 360.

Black looks a fuck ton better then many launch 360 games.

It should roll out in December.
It's a far more powerful console then a Tricore PPC at 3.2 Ghz.
Not to mention that the Xbox and Xbone are both x86.
You might see almost perfect emulation.

Deleted member 42501

OP
Trophies
XP
Here's hoping as an nice way to play these classics would be most appreciated. After a bit more research it appears a lot of folks complained about the graphical issues in the emulation as they really do impinge on the experience.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't know why but people always seem to think that just because a console is newer and the older one is emulated on the newer one, that the compatibility is 100% and that everything runs better as well.

That's literally not how emulation works ;/

Deleted member 42501

OP
Trophies
XP
True but I'd assumed that both had a similar power structure and that it's running through a wrapper and not true emulation, hence it should be pretty accurate. Plus some games are better than the originals which shows it is possible with optimisation and time.

Loooking at how well the PS3 (sw emulation) handled ps2 games I would've expected a lot more.

Here's hoping the x bone rights this wrong.

Last edited by Deleted member 42501,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The reason why the Xbone plays 360 so well is that the entire game has basically been recoded to run on X86.
Hence the need to download the entire game instead of running it off disc.
The 360 plays Xbox via an actual emulator (which is just bound to the limitations of the original Xbox, yes the original Xbox did 720p ;p)

PS3's PS2 SW emulation is a lot easier (the Cell CPU is a lot more powerful then the Xenon PPC CPU).
I mean, if you look at a PS2 emulator for PC, it's a fuck ton better then CXBX etc, which mostly depend on high-level emulation.

I have no clue on how the Xbone will handle it tho.
Could be like the Xbone does 360, could be an emulator.
Time will tell.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: