Tutorial  Updated

How to put 3DS in "Incognito" mode with GodMode9

Incognito mode in modern browses is a special mode where your browsing history is not recorded.

The recent ban wave that hit CFW users is believed to have happened due to custom made CIAs installed and run from the 3DS Home Menu.

After that, some people who didn't get banned started being more cautious. Aside from disabling Spotpass and Friendlist "Playing" options I've been avoiding to run any custom made CIAs on my 3DS.

The new Luma 8.0 with HBMenu2.0 helped a lot with this, since the apps run throught it don't get logged if you use the set app entry point option.

But there are some apps that don't have a 3dsx version or don't work very well. This is an option I started using for those cases.

What is needed
  • CFW
  • Godmode9
What does this do?
  • We will rename the PTM savegame so the system creates a new one without the previous information of your used titles.
  • This way, any CIA Homebrew run during this window of time will be logged in this temporary PTM save and won't affect your previous PTM save.
Why would I do it?
  • I do it to leave my activity log and PTM "clean", looking like a retail unit.
WARNING: READ THIS BEFORE STARTING
  • IF YOU CHANGE THINGS OTHER THAN THOSE WRITTEN HERE WITH GODMODE9 YOU MAY BRICK YOUR SYSTEM.

STEP BY STEP

TURNING "INCOGNITO" MODE ON

• 1. Boot into GodMode9.
  • 2. Select "[1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND"
  • 3. Select "data"
  • 4. Select the id of your system (32 characters hexadecimal folder name)
  • 5. Select "sysdata"
  • 6. Select "00010022" (This is the PTM save data folder)
  • 7. You will find a single file named "00000000" there. Hold R then press X, this will prompt you to rename the file. Rename it to "10000000" (You will be asked to unlock writing to SYSNAND CTRNAND).
  • 8. Press START to reboot the system.
  • 9. DO NOT OPEN THE ACTIVITY LOG DURING THIS TIME (If you do it'll merge your temporary PTM data with your activity log save data).
  • 10. Install and/or launch any CIAs needed. Use them to your heart's content. (Remember to keep Wifi turned off just to be safer).
Please note: Any game time played during this time frame will not be added to your activity log unless you run the activity log during the "incognito" mode. Again, please do not do that. You will make me cry.

TURNING "INCOGNITO" MODE OFF
  • 1. Finish using your homebrew CIA. Optional: Uninstall every custom CIAs before proceeding.
  • 2. Turn the 3DS OFF and boot GodMode9.
  • 3. Select "[1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND"
  • 4. Select "data"
  • 5. Select the id of your system (32 char hexadecimal folder name)
  • 6. Select "sysdata"
  • 7. Select "00010022" (PTM save data folder)
  • 8. There will be 2 files inside the folder. Navigate to the "00000000", press X confirm to delete it. You will be asked to unlock SYSNAND writing.
  • 9. Navigate to the "10000000" file. This is your original PTM save file that we renamed earlier.
  • 10. Hold R and Press X to rename. Rename it to "00000000"
  • Press START to reboot the system.
  • Profit.

Last edited by phalk,

smichal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Would be amazing if this "Incognito" mode could become an option on the Rosalina menu.
I don't know if that would be possible, but maybe OP should get in contact with luma3DS author?

Idk just a thought :)

Dysproh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be awesome if we could get this implemented as a payload that does the work for you. Would also be cool if it swapped out your friend code seed with a dummy one while in "incognito" mode, just so you don't have to worry about your good one being banned. Plus have the ability to wipe the activity log like Cthulu does built-in.

It's too bad there's no quick and easy way to hide / unhide custom CIAs, aside from perhaps keeping them on a separate emuNAND.
Maybe a boot manager with an option that allows you to enter Incognito Mode?

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I just stay in that mode?

Basically yes as long as you don't go to the Activity Log app or follow the tutorial on reverting back from it on the OP. I've kept it active, though still not 100% sure of it preventing a ban. I got one while in this mode, but I think that's because I was online via Pokemon Sun for way too long (5 or so hours), while running NTR CFW, I won't bother testing how doing so without running any homebrew fares.

Reactions: Something whatever

Something whatever

Gazer of the East
Trophies
Website
www.pixiv.net
XP
Country
United States
Basically yes as long as you don't go to the Activity Log app or follow the tutorial on reverting back from it on the OP. I've kept it active, though still not 100% sure of it preventing a ban. I got one while in this mode, but I think that's because I was online via Pokemon Sun for way too long (5 or so hours), while running NTR CFW, I won't bother testing how doing so without running any homebrew fares.

going to pick up a N2dXL soon, Going to use my CFW 3ds as a test dummy

SomeOrdinaryGamr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had made two Godmode9 Scripts, one which creates a backup of the activity log file (00000000), and then proceeds to name it to 00000001. Essentially it is a script which does what you stated. The second script ends the incognito mode session.

EDIT: I might mess around with the script more, so needless to say I will be updating the upload.

Attachments

• Incognito Mode GM9.zip
    927 bytes · Views: 252
Last edited by SomeOrdinaryGamr,

Albireon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is for softwares that show up in the activity log, right?
So that'd mean stuff like FBI would require you to go into Icognito too.

I use FBI a lot so going into that mode every time would be annoying, I guess I'll just delete my activity log once I'm about to go online.
On the other hand, wouldn't a clean activity log but a long playtime in a digital online game alarm Nintendo somehow?
I don't care about steps/playtime, just want to be as safe as possible.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
This is for softwares that show up in the activity log, right?
So that'd mean stuff like FBI would require you to go into Icognito too.

I use FBI a lot so going into that mode every time would be annoying, I guess I'll just delete my activity log once I'm about to go online.
On the other hand, wouldn't a clean activity log but a long playtime in a digital online game alarm Nintendo somehow?
I don't care about steps/playtime, just want to be as safe as possible.
It doesn't really matter, the local activity log is never sent to Nintendo, they have their own activity log on their servers that logs everything you do while online anyway, so if you want to be more safe from bans, just don't run .cia homebrew or VC injects when online.

Albireon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It doesn't really matter, the local activity log is never sent to Nintendo, they have their own activity log on their servers that logs everything you do while online anyway, so if you want to be more safe from bans, just don't run .cia homebrew or VC injects when online.

Ah, alright, thanks for explaining. I expected their own activity log to update when you go online again, using the 3DS activity log.
I wasn't using anything online except for things that do require internet (like the luma updater), should I update offline and manually if possible?

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can also block them by configuring your router to block their telemetry servers, or by using a custom DNS. Though, your methods are the best for people who are new to modding XD

GilgameshArcher

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If I am not wrong, they also can see the latest or the actual played game when going online. So if this is right, it is a good advice to also play a legit game before going online/ turn Wi-Fi on.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

If I am not wrong, they also can see the latest or the actual played game when going online. So if this is right, it is a good advice to also play a legit game before going online/ turn Wi-Fi on.
or get a TiD spoof
then spoof to something generic like fire emblem awakening
(0xA05)

Reactions: GilgameshArcher

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yeah, supposedly, if you have no game/app running it shows the last thing you ran.
I've heard reports of that so I assume it's true, though it wasn't part of the original post I saw where the traffic was sniffed.

Reactions: GilgameshArcher

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Yawn