Hacking How to bypass the date softbrick on r4isdhc.com cards and keep DSi-enhanced game compatibility

Did this work for you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BARNWEY

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I tried to find a better method than this. However, it didn't work... Unfortunately, this may be the simplest this guide will ever get...

P.S. Let me know if you're having trouble, I'm here to help (I've gotten this to work about 10 times XD).

dashsnow2292

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Dsi-enhanced and DSi are different. DSi-enhanced games are DS games that are made to take advantage of the DSi hardware (if run on a DSi, of course).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Unfortunately, YSMenu can't load DSi-enhanced games on our cards. This is a tutorial on how to bypass the date lock (initially) using YSMenu, and how to use the original firmware as a .nds file. That way, you're not constantly setting the date back... The thing is, that the original firmware will bug out if you use it to create saves when it is a .nds file. However, YSMenu creates the .sav files fine, it just has some problems with AP. Once you create the .sav file, it will work in any firmware. Now for your questions on step 3, that's more on checking to see if everything is working correctly before the weird stuff goes down... Did I answer all of your questions?

Oh I see. Now I understand. I must have misunderstood you :lol:. I was on the impression that one of the goals of your guide is to "finally" solve the AP issues of YSmenu on DSi-enhanced games for them to be finally fully playable. Sorry. I got lost there for a while :unsure:.

Update: I tested your guide and it seems to work. I tried adjusting the year to simulate my cards expiration and it works. Still, it's a little bit of a hassle to adjust the date when you want to play the Dsi-enhanced games. Also, I seem to be the only one who's trying this :lol:. Thanks for this mate. :yaynds:

Last edited by dashsnow2292,

BARNWEY

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh I see. Now I understand. I must have misunderstood you :lol:. I was on the impression that one of the goals of your guide is to "finally" solve the AP issues of YSmenu on DSi-enhanced games for them to be finally fully playable. Sorry. I got lost there for a while :unsure:.

Update: I tested your guide and it seems to work. I tried adjusting the year to simulate my cards expiration and it works. Still, it's a little bit of a hassle to adjust the date when you want to play the Dsi-enhanced games. Also, I seem to be the only one who's trying this :lol:. Thanks for this mate. :yaynds:
No prob, glad to see that it worked for you!

gui710

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If it helps, the 13 years old me (or something like that) got a way to play Pokemon White (2) without any problems using 2 firmwares at the same time or something like that, i'll try to test it by my own on my NDSL and tell ya something later!

BARNWEY

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, after some date testing on the card I found something... The card lasts until 2020, and there isn't another way to bypass the date lock. Even using a patched firmware from r4i-sdhc.com doesn't work... Even though, by 2020, the 3DS will probably have been phased out for something new. Not to mention, 3DS online play would have been cancelled. There would absolutely be no downside to having the date turned back. I'll update the OP with this information...

Last edited by BARNWEY,

dashsnow2292

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi @BARNWEY. I've tested this again. Is there any significance for steps 6 , 7, 8, and 9? Or are those just there to make sure that the Dsi-enhanced games work when their save files are created and the games booted using R4.nds from the YSmenu?

BARNWEY

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi @BARNWEY. I've tested this again. Is there any significance for steps 6 , 7, 8, and 9? Or are those just there to make sure that the Dsi-enhanced games work when their save files are created and the games booted using R4.nds from the YSmenu?
There is some significance. Without those steps, the R4.nds has a lower chance of working properly...

BARNWEY

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it looks like mine doesn't have those kind of brick protections, otherwise it would be bricked by the time we're speaking :b
Are you talking about the cards mentioned in this thread? It should brick DSTTs as the firmware and card are incompatible...

dashsnow2292

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There is some significance. Without those steps, the R4.nds has a lower chance of working properly...

I did some more tinkering and you are right. If I follow your guide step-by-step, the games would work properly. However, if I try to just directly configure YSmenu as my primary boot and make R4.nds to be booted in YSMenu, this is where I encounter problems like save files being not found, error code 4/5, freezing, while loading, etc. even though I create the .sav files using YSmenu as indicated on step 12. Copy-pasting the original firmware and the YSmenu setup to the card WITHOUT REFORMATTING the sdcard would not even work.

I don't know how does the original kernel know that something has been "tampered" with in its files that makes the card totally useless without reformatting it. It doesn't seem to make a "log" file about it so... I guess it must be hidden somewhere cause if it was stored in a file, replacing the kernel files would have fixed it, no?

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
You forgot method 4: Sell/trash self bricking cards and buy one that doesn't brick itself after a certain date. Planned obsolescence should never be tolerated. Don't buy that crap. Buy a better card. Even an original R4 (they're all clones technically though. :P ) or an AceKard would be preferred. :P

BARNWEY

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You forgot method 4: Sell/trash self bricking cards and buy one that doesn't brick itself after a certain date. Planned obsolescence should never be tolerated. Don't buy that crap. Buy a better card. Even an original R4 (they're all clones technically though. :P ) or an AceKard would be preferred. :P
I already have 4 methods, don't you mean method 5 XD? On a more serious note, a lot of people don't know the problems with these cards when they buy them. The point of this thread was to bring awareness to the date lock (and it worked), and to also help people bypass it... If it wasn't for the date lock, these would actually be good cards. It's unfortunate something so sh:shit:tty was programmed in... I'm hoping this thread actually might help some people as it gives them information such as when the card will brick, and how to bypass it... Then, they can make the decision to either buy it or not... The point of this thread wasn't to tolerate planned obsolescence, but rather to bypass it and give the r4isdhc.com team a steamy hot middle finger. So, do you kind of see where my head is at in regards to this thread?
P.S. I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm ranting, I'm just trying to point out where my head is at in regards to this thread. I'm not trying to defend the r4isdhc.com team or anything XD

I did some more tinkering and you are right. If I follow your guide step-by-step, the games would work properly. However, if I try to just directly configure YSmenu as my primary boot and make R4.nds to be booted in YSMenu, this is where I encounter problems like save files being not found, error code 4/5, freezing, while loading, etc. even though I create the .sav files using YSmenu as indicated on step 12. Copy-pasting the original firmware and the YSmenu setup to the card WITHOUT REFORMATTING the sdcard would not even work.

I don't know how does the original kernel know that something has been "tampered" with in its files that makes the card totally useless without reformatting it. It doesn't seem to make a "log" file about it so... I guess it must be hidden somewhere cause if it was stored in a file, replacing the kernel files would have fixed it, no?
Unfortunately, I don't know. I feel like it must either create a partition, or corrupt the SD card to an extent. Personally, I feel the second option is more likely, as I would've noticed if my card suddenly had multiple partitions. Unfortunately, if you're having those problems, you're going to have to reformat. I would download either GUI Format or SDFormatter (make sure to check for viruses and malware here: https://virustotal.com/). Then, (after you select your card) check overwrite and size adjustment. After that finishes, your card should be back to normal...

Last edited by BARNWEY,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)