Tutorial  Updated

[HOW TO] Custom ringtone/notification/alarm sounds in Android

So you wanna set some custom sounds eh? You've come to the right place. This guide will be divided into three sections: Notifications, Ringtones and Alarms. The first steps for each of them will be somewhat similar so don't get confused, got it? Good.

For this guide, you'll need:
  • A device running Android (For this guide, I've used a Galaxy Mega 6.3 running Marshmallow)
  • A file manager (I've used the default CM13 file manager for this one but any file manager should work fine)
  • The sound/tune/music you want to use (Preferably in .mp3, .ogg, .wav format)
To set a custom notification sound:
  1. Locate the custom notification sound you want to use, make sure it's short as it's only a sound for notifications (I'll be using "Jingle ~ Neverending Trouble")
  2. Move it or copy it to the Notifications folder located at the root directory of your device
  3. Open up Settings
  4. Navigate to Sounds>Notification Tone (This step may vary)
  5. Select the sound you've placed in the Notifications folder earlier (Mine was "Jingle ~ Neverending Trouble")
To set a custom ringtone:
  1. Locate the custom ringtone you want to use, make sure it'll last at least one minute as it is a ringtone (I'll be using "Klavier Gavin ~ Guilty Love")
  2. Move it or copy it to the Ringtones folder located at the root directory of your device
  3. Open up Settings
  4. Navigate to Sounds>Phone Ringtone (This step may vary)
  5. Select the sound you've placed in the Ringtones folder earlier (Mine was "Klavier Gavin ~ Guilty Love")
To set a custom alarm:
  1. Locate the custom alarm sound you want to use, make sure it's long so you'll wake up (I'll be using "Cross-Examination ~ Allegro 2013")
  2. Move it or copy it to the Alarms located at the root directory of your device
  3. Open up your Clock/Alarm app
  4. Select or create an alarm
  5. Tap the area where you select a sound to be used
  6. Select the file you've placed in the Alarms folder earlier (Mine was "Cross-Examination ~ Allegro 2013")
If you need help, feel free to PM me or to post on this thread or on my profile. I'll be willing to help :)

Changelog:
May 30, 2016: Revised the whole guide. Looks clean.
May 29, 2016: Initial guide. Looks like a shithole.

Not exactly sure where I'd post this tutorial so I posted it here.

Setting it up is actually very simple. You'll need the following:
  1. A device running Android (I've tested this on CM13 (Marshmallow) but it should work on any other version just fine)
  2. A file manager (Stock one should do just fine)
  3. The sound you want to use (Preferably in .mp3/.ogg/.wav format)
Now to set it
  1. Place the sound you want to use on the internal storage of your phone
  2. Copy it to either one of these folders (Alarms, Notfications, Ringtones) located at the root of your phone's internal storage
  3. To set as a ringtone, go to Settings>Sounds>Phone ringtones and select the sound file you've placed in the ringtones folder
  4. To set as a notification sound, go to Settings>Sounds>Notification tone and select the sound file you've placed in the notifications folder
  5. To set as an alarm sound, open up your clock app and select an alarm. There should be an option to set a different sound so use that.
Now I know this guide is messy and it may be hard to understand. I am working in improving this guide. If you are having troubles, please don't hesitate to ask!

Last edited by nxwing, , Reason: Revised the guide

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: