How to delete a (seemingly) infinite folder structure?

SomeGamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Somehow com.sonymobile.dlna has created a folder structure like this on my SD card:
/Android/com.sonymobile.dlna/cache/cache/cache... and it goes on.
Currently running sudo rm -rf on a live Lubuntu on my tablet, and while it's certainly doing something (fans at full speed) I'm beyond uncertain if it'll ever finish. :P

Jacklack3

( ゚ヮ゚) buddie was here
Trophies
Website
jackomix.neocities.org
XP
Country
Canada
Somehow com.sonymobile.dlna has created a folder structure like this on my SD card:
/Android/com.sonymobile.dlna/cache/cache/cache... and it goes on.
Currently running sudo rm -rf on a live Lubuntu on my tablet, and while it's certainly doing something (fans at full speed) I'm beyond uncertain if it'll ever finish. :P
I don't know how it is on Linux for can you check it's properties? On windows it shows how many folders a folder has.

SomeGamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I don't know how it is on Linux for can you check it's properties? On windows it shows how many folders a folder has.
It shows an obviously smaller number than the actual count of folders. (Can't remember the exact number, but the structure is much deeper.)

Jacklack3

( ゚ヮ゚) buddie was here
Trophies
Website
jackomix.neocities.org
XP
Country
Canada

SomeGamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary

Jacklack3

( ゚ヮ゚) buddie was here
Trophies
Website
jackomix.neocities.org
XP
Country
Canada

SomeGamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
SOLVED! Simply closed the Terminal window, then deleted using the GUI file manager as a last attempt. To my great surprise, it worked, despite it previously saying that the file name was too long. But I really want to know why it worked the second time. (The rm -rf was closed in the process of deletion so it obviously hasn't finished yet.)

Reactions: Jacklack3

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
SOLVED! Simply closed the Terminal window, then deleted using the GUI file manager as a last attempt. To my great surprise, it worked, despite it previously saying that the file name was too long. But I really want to know why it worked the second time. (The rm -rf was closed in the process of deletion so it obviously hasn't finished yet.)

Sounds like rm -f had deleted enough of the deepest folders in the path to enable the GUI to handle the rest... Example When you originally tried deleting from the GUI there may have been 500 folders, making the string value containing the complete path to the deepest file too long for the gui to handle. rm -f may have removed the deepest 300 entries before being interrupted, leaving only another 200 left, therefore allowing the GUI to now handle the path of the deepest file.

Reactions: SomeGamer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup