How to Dual Boot Android with almost any OS

Hey guys this tutorial will show you how to install Android as a dual boot to most OS. You do not need a touchscreen for this, all you need is a mouse and keyboard. Wifi works brilliantly as do most features.

Latest Build:
Feb 27, 2012 3:38 AM android-x86-4.0-RC1

Features:
  • Kernel 2.6.35.7, KMS enable
  • Wifi support with GUI
  • Ethernet configuration GUI
  • Better disk installer
  • Power Suspend/resume (S3 mode)
  • Battery Status
  • Software mouse cursor
  • Mouse wheel
  • Support netbook native resolution
  • Audio (ALSA)
  • V4l2 Camera support
  • External monitor support
  • External storage auto mount support
  • Support external keyboard
  • Debug mode with busybox
  • Bluetooth

For this particular job you need:
A Laptop or PC
A blank Disc or USB at least 512Mb in size
An Internet Connection
The latest build of the x86 Android (can be developer preview or a release candidate) Downloaded from http://www.android-x86.org/download
A harddrive with at 5Gb of space.
Unetbootin
A Windows PC, or a Virtual Machine, or Wine, or a program that allows you to open .exe files on other OS

Step 1. Download the x86 Android from the website. Preferably 4.0, for most laptops and PC's, use the download with ASUS in its name.

Step 2. Download UnetBootIn if you are using a USB from here http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ or IMGburn from here
http://download.imgb...urn_2.5.6.0.exe

Step 3. Place the ISO file you have downloaded in a folder on your desktop.
If you are using a USB follow step 4A, If you are using a Disc follow step 4B

Step 4A. Run UnetBootIn and select diskimage at the bottom of the program. Click the ... to choose the .iso file we saved to our desktop remember? Select USB drive at the bottom of the page and choose the directory letter. We don't have to worry about anything else for now so press okay.

Step 4B. Run IMGburn, Press write to disc and select the .iso file on our desktop by pressing the folder and navigating our way there, for destination choose the disc drive with your blank CD/DVD inside it and press the .iso to disc button under it. Allow it to do it's thing.

Step 5. Open up your start menu for windows users. Open my computer and right click your C: drive. Storage --> Properties . Check that it has the space we need and that it is formatted to NTFS. This should be done by default but be sure just in case.

**I reccomend you back up your important files at this point, just in case :) **

Step 6. Insert your disc/usb into a drive and restart your computer.

Step 7. Open your Bios/Boot Options and set your USB/CD or DVD to first priority.

Step 8. Allow the computer to read the file and you should see a dialogue appear, choose install android to hard disk
Step 9. Choose your partition, this is where it gets tricky as linux doesn't show the names of partitions, my C: drive is always the third, but yours could be anyone one of them, It can only be an NTFS drive so try one.

Step 10. Now it should ask you about format options select don't format.

Step 11. It will ask to install Grub Loader, Select yes (this is our multiboot utility)

Step 12. Now if it is the correct drive it should say a The installer found a Windows Partition. If It said that skip to Step 14. If it hasn't go to step 13.

Step 13. Restart your computer and repeat steps 8 - 12 but select a different NTFS drive until the program tells you it found the windows partition.

Step 14. It will now say "do you want to install /system directory as read-write?" Select Yes. It will now begin installing Android.

Step 15. It will ask you to create a disc image, select yes, this allows it to save your apps/work/android setup

Step 16. It will prompt you to set the space in Mb the image can take in MegaBytes. I reccomend 1Gb, so type 1024 or any other amount of space you want. This may take a while, feel like a break? Go have one.

Step 17. Now you can select create a fake sd card, to store your system files in, type 1024. I haven't figured out how to access this in windows yet but, create one anyway to store phone files I suppose.

Step 18. Now reboot your PC/Laptop

Step 19. Now you can choose your boot options. This will happen everytime you boot your PC or Laptop. Upon first boot android may take a small time to load.

Step 20. Set up your Google account. And away you go.

Known Bugs Within Android 4.0 Release Candidates:
Yay! Bugs in The Release Candidate!
Known Models of PC That Are Compatible:

Known Models Of Laptop That Are Compatible:
Acer Aspire One
Asus EeePc Series
Dell Inspiron Mini Duo
Samsung Q1U
Viewsonic Viewpad 10
Lenovo ThinkPad x61 Tablet

Have questions?
Feel free to ask.

Also If you used this be sure to rate it. This will have pictures added soon.

Reactions: 2 people

Xanthe

Costco Executive Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would install this, but I don't want a Grub loader being installed on my Mac. Leads to several problems

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone tried this with a version of Android higher than 4.4? Also, are game controllers working with vanilla Android X86 on a PC? I really wanted to do this last year but I just couldn't get things to flow well :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, what about GTA v onl... O Yea the PS3 versión got discontinued
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I feel like the world's cheapest pc build can play gtaV
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    In modern standards
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, then why mine can't?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 What is nps you mentioned?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because your pc has a hamster innit
    +3
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    R.I.P. LittleBigPlanet PS3 servers
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    LBP2 still the goat tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That can be played on ps5 iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s