Tutorial How to get a free Developer Account

Did your email get rejected? (out of curiosity)

• For some other reason I couldn't sign up (comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Enovale

Hey. I exist. Woo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before I start, YOU MUST BE A STUDENT. YOU MUST HAVE EITHER A SCHOOL ISSUED EMAIL, OR YOUR SCHOOL IS ENROLLED IN MICROSOFT IMAGINE. Even if you have a school email it may still not work sometimes.

EDIT: Buying a .edu email is possible for less than the developer account price of $20, you can get them on fiverr for $5, but I can't test the ligitimacey. https://www.fiverr.com/gigs/search?query=edu email

Okay. So this tutorial will allow you to get a completely free Microsoft developer account, which will allow you to side load apps on Xbox one, develop apps, and get basically any Microsoft developer tool for free, completely legit as well.

HOW TO GET A FREE MS DEVELOPER ACCOUNT:

You need to go to imagine.microsoft.com.
You'll see a page like this, click sign in.
IMG_8730.png

You will be taken to this page where you should sign in with a pre-existing Microsoft account or you can create one as well.
IMG_8731.png
[/url][/IMG]
IMG_8731.png

After you sign in you should be taken to something like this. (I'm not sure about everything because i've already made an account)
IMG_8746.png

From here, just fill out the required info. If your in middle school, you may have to tell it that your in high school. if your email is middle school specific, it may not work. my school email works for the entire district so i'm fine. You may want to set graduation to one or two years ahead. of course you can also just fill this info out legitimately but its your choice whatevs.
IMG_8747.png

Now after you do that you will be taken to your account page where you will have to verify your studentity. (see what i did there?) for this the email you use to verify doesn't need to be the same one you used to sign up, it just needs to be accessible and a school issued email. Just follow the instructions here
IMG_8748.png

At this point you will be back on your account page, which a notification telling you that you have been verified. don't spam me saying it didn't work, sideloading is new and the only mention of this method of getting a dev account is a single comment on a thread. you will now want to click download, then click software catalog.
IMG_8751.png

You will be at a catalog of windows software now, theres a lotta cool stuff here as well if your a developer besides the dev account. Anyway, scroll to the bottom until you see this:

Click it and there will be a page where on the right, it will say something along the lines of "redeem code" then it will tell it on the page. just copy it for now, if you lose it, just come back to this page.
10_1565.jpg

Now go to https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/dashboard/apps/overview and it will ask you to sign in. then when you do you'll get another page asking to fill out some info. I can't show this because i couldn't get this far with my dummy account. anyway, fill out the info, and there should be a next button, which will present you with billing information(credit cards, etc) look for this input field and paste the code you copied:
12_100.png

It will cover your billing, so press next or sign up, whatever it is, and you will be presented with your dashboard! congrats! you have a completely free developer account.
13_1335.jpg

Now if you want to sideload, just go to http://developer.microsoft.com/xboxactivate and follow this thread to link your xbox to your account, along with two others if you are so inclined, and then sideload to your heart's content!
Please tell me if there is important steps I missed or any problems you encountered. Thanks for reading!​

Last edited by Enovale, , Reason: not finished but started updating images

wiired24

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great work! Hopefully more people will take advantage of this oppurtunity. I'm a college student myself but I already paid for my dev account a year ago (Wish I would have known about this then :rofl:

Enovale

Hey. I exist. Woo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great work! Hopefully more people will take advantage of this oppurtunity. I'm a college student myself but I already paid for my dev account a year ago (Wish I would have known about this then :rofl:
yeah, but i dont think anyone knew then. (maybe, idk)

D

Deleted User

I wish that .edu emails were a thing here.
I don't want to go as far as buying a .edu email for $50 ._.
I'd rather just waste $20 for dev account.

Enovale

Hey. I exist. Woo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish that .edu emails were a thing here.
I don't want to go as far as buying a .edu email for $50 ._.
I'd rather just waste $20 for dev account.
yeah, its mostly luck of the draw, if you are in school, great! if your not, your kinda screwed

EDIT: depending on if you care about other stuff or not, the other stuff ms imagine gives you is probably worth way more than $50

Last edited by Enovale,

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
What is an .edu email, anyway? I currently study an university, and my school email ends with .cz. So, yeah, no student benefits from international companies for me. Not at all.

Reactions: orangy57

Enovale

Hey. I exist. Woo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is an .edu email, anyway? I currently study an university, and my school email ends with .cz. So, yeah, no student benefits from international companies for me. Not at all.
its an email that ends in .edu. they (should) be registered with MS so they will work to make an account.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Where's everybody?