Tutorial  Updated

How to get gbaemu4ds up & running on your nds THE CORRECT WAY

//Forgive the irritating format, I was immature when I wrote this
How to get gbaemu4ds set-up & running on your nds THE CORRECT WAY
~Introduction~
Gbaemu4ds was developed by ichichfly in 2010(or was it 2011?) as a project for the homebrew bounty contest. Though he was doubted at first, but he managed to get this going…
Thanks to his efforts , this emu has come a long way from managing to play select homebrew at 1-2 fps to now running Pokemon Fire red at full speed with sound(and maybe cheats).
However, seeing the popularity and its ability to run a decent number of games, more and more people continue to try the emu, but only a few manage to run it the correct way. I have been following this thread for a LONG time and have observed that almost halve the no. of posts I’ve seen were àHow-do-i-set-it-up? So now as my first (useful) contribution to this community, I’ve decided to write this guide/ tutorial that you’re reading. Let’s get this started.
Note: For this tutorial I’m using the version Apha 2 Fix 4
~Requirements~
Nintendo DS/3DS {you’re kidding right?}
A homebrew capable flashcart
Basic knowledge of scrolling though buttons
#1 SET-UP
1.I suppose you have already downloaded gbaemu4ds, so the zip that you downloaded must be like this-
1.png
2.Now extract the contents in to you µsd, delete the file ’patch.pat’
Note: No one could get patch.pat to work(I think)
3. . In case you are using an acekard, keep the folder ‘_rpg’, else you can delete it.
Copy your games and proceed to the next stage.
#2 LOADING/RUNNING THE EMU
1.Go through the menu of your cart and run “hbmenu.nds”(you can rename it), the screen that would appear (in case the emu loads successfully) would be like this-
hbmenu_26_26521.png
2.Navigate to your gba file and press A, this screen that you’ll encounter should be like this-
hbmenu_08_26659.png
3.Press A again and again and again…..and again till you reach this screen-
hbmenu_55_26812.png
Note: I’ll come back to the other screens later.
This screen that you see above is one of the most important screens you’ll ever see in this emu;
This screen is where you can choose various loaders, that will determine how you game will load (like with sound, w/o sound, scaling etc.) The loader that is recommended for most commercial games is
advirqsound for sound
advirq for no sound( has better compatibility with games)
---
Choose a loader and press A and the game should load.
SAVING and loading Save files
For saving your progress in a game, after you’ve saved in game, you need to press the Y button, this is important for SAVING your SAVE file (Really!!!)
LOADING YOUR SAV FILES
Follow the same process as (2) but instead of selecting your game, select your sav file and press A
And then choose the option ‘savefile’ when prompted in ~Use as-~. Then repeat (2).
Now the other screens
(May not be in order)
1. LCD SWAP
hbmenu_20_26698.png
LcdswapàDecides whether the game screen should be in the top or bottom screen (Do as instructed)
2.Save type chooser
hbmenu_28_26724.png
The sav file chooser, depending on the type of your sav file choose the related save file type. This helps in compatibility and optimal performance.
3.Frame skip chooser
hbmenu_39_26760.png
This is the frame skip chooser (I don't really have to explain this do I?)
4. Auto V-sync
hbmenu_42_26770.png
Since a certain revision, ichfly introduced a new feature, AutoVsycline; this feature supposedly detects the optimal vsyncline value for this emu.

Last edited by raystriker,

raystriker

The powers that be
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India

RecyxleStudios

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I Try To Load Driver 2 Advance Or Pokemon Ruby All I Get Is Guru Meditation Error ( On My 3ds Version Ver. 8.0.0-18U... And I'm Trying To Load Up .GBA Files Using The hbmenu.nds)

Yami_Fabio

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Man, I need your help.

I did the recomendations, but when I start the games, no options emule the game with sound (even advirgsound)!

I changed the format of the games, from .gba to .mb and I did all the stuff. My R4 is also a Wood (newest version), and I'm trying to play:

Medabots AX: Metabee Version alpha1 fix1 advirq Works.
Medabots AX: Rokusho Version alpha1 fix1 advirq Works.
Medabots: Metabee Version alpha1 fix1 advirq Works.
Medabots: Rokusho Version alpha1 fix1 advirq
Works.

Reactions: ipwndeveloper

Ryota Sakurai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would help if you give us a little more details to go on... :)
I have problems with Pokémon Fire Red as well. I use advirqsound and SaveTypeFlash128kb. Everything else I press A. I save by pressing Y and also saving in-game. The problem is, whenever I encounter a wild Pokémon in tall grass, the screen glitches up doesn't allow me to continue! What do I do?

raystriker

The powers that be
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I have problems with Pokémon Fire Red as well. I use advirqsound and SaveTypeFlash128kb. Everything else I press A. I save by pressing Y and also saving in-game. The problem is, whenever I encounter a wild Pokémon in tall grass, the screen glitches up doesn't allow me to continue! What do I do?
To be really honest, I'm kinda outdated on this topic, are you using the Firered version recommended in the compatibility list?

foootrest

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you still active here? Lol

Anyway, I recently made a Gameboy Macro, so I'm playing without a top screen.
I'm using an R4i Gold with a 3-in-1 in my slot 2.
Every time I try to do a manual boot, even when I choose a .mb or .bin file, I just get a white screen.
Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Are you still active here? Lol

Anyway, I recently made a Gameboy Macro, so I'm playing without a top screen.
I'm using an R4i Gold with a 3-in-1 in my slot 2.
Every time I try to do a manual boot, even when I choose a .mb or .bin file, I just get a white screen.
Any idea what I could be doing wrong?
If you're using an Ezflash 3-in-1, you can load GBA games without the need of an additional emulator

foootrest

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're using an Ezflash 3-in-1, you can load GBA games without the need of an additional emulator

Yeah lol, I figured that out. But now I'm not sure if I'm loading them right because every time I try to save it never reloads that save when I open the rom again. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. It's making *.gba.sav files when I play a game but won't load them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: https://gbatemp.net/threads/i-was-on-the-wanted-list.652482/