Tutorial  Updated

How to get gbaemu4ds up & running on your nds THE CORRECT WAY

//Forgive the irritating format, I was immature when I wrote this
How to get gbaemu4ds set-up & running on your nds THE CORRECT WAY
~Introduction~
Gbaemu4ds was developed by ichichfly in 2010(or was it 2011?) as a project for the homebrew bounty contest. Though he was doubted at first, but he managed to get this going…
Thanks to his efforts , this emu has come a long way from managing to play select homebrew at 1-2 fps to now running Pokemon Fire red at full speed with sound(and maybe cheats).
However, seeing the popularity and its ability to run a decent number of games, more and more people continue to try the emu, but only a few manage to run it the correct way. I have been following this thread for a LONG time and have observed that almost halve the no. of posts I’ve seen were àHow-do-i-set-it-up? So now as my first (useful) contribution to this community, I’ve decided to write this guide/ tutorial that you’re reading. Let’s get this started.
Note: For this tutorial I’m using the version Apha 2 Fix 4
~Requirements~
Nintendo DS/3DS {you’re kidding right?}
A homebrew capable flashcart
Basic knowledge of scrolling though buttons
#1 SET-UP
1.I suppose you have already downloaded gbaemu4ds, so the zip that you downloaded must be like this-
1.png
2.Now extract the contents in to you µsd, delete the file ’patch.pat’
Note: No one could get patch.pat to work(I think)
3. . In case you are using an acekard, keep the folder ‘_rpg’, else you can delete it.
Copy your games and proceed to the next stage.
#2 LOADING/RUNNING THE EMU
1.Go through the menu of your cart and run “hbmenu.nds”(you can rename it), the screen that would appear (in case the emu loads successfully) would be like this-
hbmenu_26_26521.png
2.Navigate to your gba file and press A, this screen that you’ll encounter should be like this-
hbmenu_08_26659.png
3.Press A again and again and again…..and again till you reach this screen-
hbmenu_55_26812.png
Note: I’ll come back to the other screens later.
This screen that you see above is one of the most important screens you’ll ever see in this emu;
This screen is where you can choose various loaders, that will determine how you game will load (like with sound, w/o sound, scaling etc.) The loader that is recommended for most commercial games is
advirqsound for sound
advirq for no sound( has better compatibility with games)
---
Choose a loader and press A and the game should load.
SAVING and loading Save files
For saving your progress in a game, after you’ve saved in game, you need to press the Y button, this is important for SAVING your SAVE file (Really!!!)
LOADING YOUR SAV FILES
Follow the same process as (2) but instead of selecting your game, select your sav file and press A
And then choose the option ‘savefile’ when prompted in ~Use as-~. Then repeat (2).
Now the other screens
(May not be in order)
1. LCD SWAP
hbmenu_20_26698.png
LcdswapàDecides whether the game screen should be in the top or bottom screen (Do as instructed)
2.Save type chooser
hbmenu_28_26724.png
The sav file chooser, depending on the type of your sav file choose the related save file type. This helps in compatibility and optimal performance.
3.Frame skip chooser
hbmenu_39_26760.png
This is the frame skip chooser (I don't really have to explain this do I?)
4. Auto V-sync
hbmenu_42_26770.png
Since a certain revision, ichfly introduced a new feature, AutoVsycline; this feature supposedly detects the optimal vsyncline value for this emu.

Last edited by raystriker,

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines

goodwind

Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Hi everyone!
I have NDSL and R4i GOLD 3DS RTS with Wood 1.62 and gbaemu4ds alpha 2 fix 4 on it.
Can anyone tell me how to run Breath of Fire on it (my original cartridge is broken, but I have save)
I've tried all loaders with all of save types without success - every time I get "Unknown OP" after jump to entry point. I even dowloaded ROMs from internet for test, but result is the same.

raystriker

The powers that be
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Hi everyone!
I have NDSL and R4i GOLD 3DS RTS with Wood 1.62 and gbaemu4ds alpha 2 fix 4 on it.
Can anyone tell me how to run Breath of Fire on it (my original cartridge is broken, but I have save)
I've tried all loaders with all of save types without success - every time I get "Unknown OP" after jump to entry point. I even dowloaded ROMs from internet for test, but result is the same.
Try with vsync 39
In the compatibility thread it is reported that Breath of Fire works well with alpha1 fix1 with vsync set a 39.
You could try it with alpha 2 fix 4 at the same setting.
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Gbaemu4ds_Compatibility_List

goodwind

Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan

AD25FR

Trophies
XP
Country
France
hello I have a problem with pokemon leaf release !! I select my backup file and then my game and I urge all "A", the Roma launches but when I select start it marks me: damaged cartridge. Unable to save your progress. On my android phone I tested the Roma and no message like the after the title screen. I could play on android but I do not like I much prefer my nintendo dsi not you? I would like to know if anyone would have a solution to my problem? for information: I am french so English is not my forte and I translated from google translation so if you agree voyer some mistakes, spelling is normal :teach::)

raystriker

The powers that be
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
hello I have a problem with pokemon leaf release !! I select my backup file and then my game and I urge all "A", the Roma launches but when I select start it marks me: damaged cartridge. Unable to save your progress. On my android phone I tested the Roma and no message like the after the title screen. I could play on android but I do not like I much prefer my nintendo dsi not you? I would like to know if anyone would have a solution to my problem? for information: I am french so English is not my forte and I translated from google translation so if you agree voyer some mistakes, spelling is normal :teach::)
Have you tried using the ROM release 'Pokemon LeafGreen (U) [f1]' specifically?

AD25FR

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Have you tried using the ROM release 'Pokemon LeafGreen (U) [f1]' specifically?
Finally, after so many test! - I run the emulator - I select my backup file and then my rom - I select savetypeautomatic - I press "A" until the motor screen (oldirq, newirq, advirq etc.) - I select "forceHblancsound" - The game starts, I press start and a message appears: "The save file is corrupted, The previous save file will be loaded. " - I press "A" and my backup is functional !! thank you very much for helping me and I wonder if I can play Pokemon Sapphire Version, ruby or emerald on the emulator?

raystriker

The powers that be
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Finally, after so many test! - I run the emulator - I select my backup file and then my rom - I select savetypeautomatic - I press "A" until the motor screen (oldirq, newirq, advirq etc.) - I select "forceHblancsound" - The game starts, I press start and a message appears: "The save file is corrupted, The previous save file will be loaded. " - I press "A" and my backup is functional !! thank you very much for helping me and I wonder if I can play Pokemon Sapphire Version, ruby or emerald on the emulator?
You will have to use the Europe version of the Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire roms, I am not sure Pokemon Emerald works.

Have a look at this page-http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Gbaemu4ds_Compatibility_List

It contains good information about all the games you can play, and some possible settings to improve game-play.

Reactions: zfreeman

AD25FR

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You will have to use the Europe version of the Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire roms, I am not sure Pokemon Emerald works.

Have a look at this page-http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Gbaemu4ds_Compatibility_List

It contains good information about all the games you can play, and some possible settings to improve game-play.
Ok thank you :D

DarkRioru

reach for the stars
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
can I save the settings I put in the first time so I don't have to put them in again?? I plan on giving my cousins R4 sdhc 2016's for xmas and I don't think they would like going through settings every time to boot up their gba games...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

how do you fix the GURU MEDITATION ERROR! DATA ABORT error?
I also need help with this?? does it have something to do with the 11.1 update and this emulator somehow not being compatible??

raystriker

The powers that be
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
can I save the settings I put in the first time so I don't have to put them in again?? I plan on giving my cousins R4 sdhc 2016's for xmas and I don't think they would like going through settings every time to boot up their gba games...
Unfortunately the emulator ceased development long before cosmetic/aesthetic refinement could be realized.
--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I also need help with this?? does it have something to do with the 11.1 update and this emulator somehow not being compatible??
The emulator runs solely on DS mode. I don't think 3DS stuff affects it at all, if that's what you meant with 11.1.

raystriker

The powers that be
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
is there a way to fix the guru meditation error? I have been getting it with homebrew like doom ds and others besides the gba emulator...
All I can think about is do a clean install, use the original hbmenu for nds to ensure maximum compatibility with nds homebrew programs etc. ie boot other hb apps and games with the hb launcher, if you're familiar with it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
    Veho @ Veho: @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip. +2