Tutorial How to install a fan-made 3D Sonic game on your Xbox One

What should I add/fix in the next update?

• New simple mechanic/anything really (specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Say in comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Enovale

Hey. I exist. Woo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE: (7/19/2017) Made respawning enemies stay dead for longer, and added an icon. Eventually going to add a exit level option instead of quit to make it easier.

UPDATE: (7/18/2017) Fixed jumping, faster loading times, nearly full speed.

DISCLAIMER: THIS GAME IS IN A BUGGY STATE. ITS MOSTLY FOR FUN'S SAKE OR FOR TESTING. Please don't expect a real game from this yet.
Also I hope this doesn't get taken down for having Sonic lol
Alright, now that I got that out of the way, hello everybody! Today I finally made an app to release! This is a port of HedgePhysics by LakeFeperd and Damizean. HedgePhysics is a take on making a 3D more retro styled Sonic game. I ported it very roughly, as you will see, the controls aren't fully optimized for the Xbox One, and there are plenty of bugs in the actual engine. Because i'm dumb and made a debug build it used to run terrible but now it runs almost full speed :) I will keep working on making this better. Of course out of dev mode it would probably run great despite any setting I give it but hey, what are you gonna do :/ Anyway, why don't I actually explain how to install this.

You will need: An Xbox one with Dev Mode activated, see this.
A PC or theoretically most devices with a browser and a file system.
A way of extracting zip files. (e.g Winrar, 7-zip, built in extractor)

How to install HedgePhysics on your Xbox 1:
1: Go to this website and download the zip file here.

2: Extract this zip file with your extractor of choice, preferably to your desktop for ease of access.

3: Next, make sure your Xbox is in dev mode and that it is ready to access through the developer portal. To do so, in the Dev Home click the settings button under your IP and make sure the first box is checked, and it is recommended to add a Username and Password too, for security.

2hzsm4n.jpg

4: Now take note of the IP it says on this page and the home page, it should look something like 192.168.0.194 or something similar.

5: Now open your favorite browser and type https:// followed by the IP of your Xbox, and in the end it should look like this: (replacing the x's with your ip) https://xxx.xxx.x.xxx:11443

6: Press enter and you should be greeted with the Xbox developer portal. If you get this,
2rrxv06.png

Click advanced, and then click Proceed to (ip).

7: You should now end up on a page like this:
x1NTaoW.png

Click "Add", and youll see this.

aAIvEra.png

8: Click choose file and select "HedgePhysics_1.1.1.0_x64.appxbundle" that should be on your desktop. then click next, and you should see a similar page, but asking for dependencies. click Choose File again and select the other two files that came in the zip.

9: Click start and wait. After a little while (depending on your internet speed) I will give a success message. Now press home on your Xbox and go to your apps and games, and it will be in your apps tab. The icon will look like this:
14eb43d.png

10: Have ... "Fun"?

Final Results

I guess just screw around for a bit. Like I said i'm still working on it so its nowhere near perfect. Well, that's it. Hope you enjoy this app, and maybe consider messing with the original source code here. Maybe you can help me out. :) Also, tell me about bugs and other issues, but don't be harsh since I didn't even make the engine and i'm not an expert with Unity. At the very least, tell me some ways I could make it better in general.

Video of the game in action, thanks to @dominater01

Last edited by Enovale,

dominater01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no wonder we haven't heard from you in awhile, you where busy porting

why'd you pick this game to port tho

just curious not hating, gonna play and test it out

edit: fyi if you release a retail version it should speed it up

Last edited by dominater01,

Enovale

Hey. I exist. Woo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no wonder we haven't heard from you in awhile, you where busy porting

why'd you pick this game to port tho

just curious not hating, gonna play and test it out

edit: fyi if you release a retail version it should speed it up
1: nah i did this in like a day XDDDD i just couldnt be bothered

2: idk i just was messing with it, learning unity, wanting to make xbone games, smash it all together and you get this.

3: yeah I forgot about that :/ Im quickly fixing the jump bug (kinda) gonna upload an update soon

dominater01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1: nah i did this in like a day XDDDD i just couldnt be bothered

2: idk i just was messing with it, learning unity, wanting to make xbone games, smash it all together and you get this.

3: yeah I forgot about that :/ Im quickly fixing the jump bug (kinda) gonna upload an update soon
1: dude thats a quick port
2: is unity easier to port or because its in alpha?
3: yea if you can fix the fps it would make it better, so far the game plays good but with problems like you mentioned gonna wait for fix

Enovale

Hey. I exist. Woo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1: dude thats a quick port
2: is unity easier to port or because its in alpha?
3: yea if you can fix the fps it would make it better, so far the game plays good but with problems like you mentioned gonna wait for fix
yea unless you somehow made ur game so complex there are bugs compiling for a different platform porting is pretty much as simple as setting it to build for UWP and giving it xbox controls. bam done. anyway yeah, its weird, i cut the texture res in quarters and it runs the same as half res textures :/

Enovale

Hey. I exist. Woo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait....you can now port a 3D Sonic engine (or game if you did something using Unity) on the Xbox One? But how can this be possi-

ok you know what, i'm not gonna ask why.
Hey, its ok. Yes, this engine was made... in an engine. This is a unity project, which makes it super easy to port. The whole process is easy as long as you have a windows 10 PC.

Reactions: SonicfanCEMUTesting

SonicfanCEMUTesting

One of Sonic fans that is here, because reasons
Trophies
White Space (not a generations reference)
XP
Country
Poland
Hey, its ok. Yes, this engine was made... in an engine. This is a unity project, which makes it super easy to port. The whole process is easy as long as you have a windows 10 PC.
Oh ok. I didn't knew that everybody can port a Unity game they made from PC to Xbox One.

wiired24

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This scene was seriously lacking something like this. Good job man. We can definitely use more homebrew games.

EDIT: This looks really fun, gonna test soon :)

Last edited by wiired24,
Reactions: Enovale

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I can't help but think nintendo switch online is the reason we did not get a gameboy/n64/gamecube
    mini classic edition
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i think it would have been impossible to see anything in a gameboy mini
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    well I meant that as a figure of speech
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could just rerelease a modern gameboy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    like the pocket analogue
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but nintendo licensed
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Aeiou backwards