Tutorial  Updated

LAN Party Without an Internet Connection

This is a little "how to" to connect two PS4's to play LAN supported games without an internet connection. Possibly more with the use of a router. Some of you may have figured this out already. I discovered this little trick while trying to LAN Party Diablo3 at a buddy's house, who refuses to get internet service.

The only things you need are:
A LAN (ethernet) Cable
Two PS4's
Two copies of a LAN supported game. (I've only tested Diablo3, but others should work)
It's important to ensure that both systems are on the same firmware version and have the same software updates for the game you want to play

You are going to connect both systems directly together with the LAN cable. I believe you could connect more systems with the use of a router.

On the first system
Navigate to Settings -> Network -> Set up Internet Connection -> Use a LAN Cable -> Custom

Now you want to setup a "manual" connection with the following settings
IP Address: 192.168.1.xxx (xxx is any number between 2 and 254)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1
Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0 (should be zeroed out by default)

You can go ahead and test the connection once you're finished. It will fail, but that's ok. Follow the same steps with the second PS4, but be sure that the last set of numbers in the IP Address is different from the one you chose for the first console.

Now you should be able to start a LAN supported multiplayer game with both consoles. You may need to select this type of connection in the game itself.

That's it. Have fun.

Last edited by WeedZ,

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
In the old days of computer Lan party, you couldn't connect 2 computers without a crossover cable... (or you would need a switch, no not the Nintendo switch) Does it matter the type of the cable when connecting the 2 ps4?
Idk, I didn't use a crossover. Don't know if you could. For some reason a straight through works with static ip's.

Last edited by WeedZ,

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the old days of computer Lan party, you couldn't connect 2 computers without a crossover cable... (or you would need a switch, no not the Nintendo switch) Does it matter the type of the cable when connecting the 2 ps4?
All Gigabit Ethernet interfaces have built-in auto-crossover. (Some later 100 Mbps interfaces did as well.)

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
On some phones you can create a wireless hotspot and then multiple consoles can connect to it. You can turn off data and then all they'll be able to do is talk to each other.

I'd probably just dig an old adsl router out.

Reactions: x65943 and WeedZ

YuseiFD

Trophies
XP
Country
Idk, I didn't use a crossover. Don't know if you could. For some reason a straight through works with static ip's.
What he mean't was between 2 pcs using crossover (as in one cable).
Does it matter the type of the cable when connecting the 2 ps4?
No, just don't use an electic cable lmao, some RG45 cable should do the trick, even phone cable would be usable in this situation but just make sure the heads are RJ45 (huge ones with 8 pins) and not RJ11 or RJ9 (phone tiny ones), if not, just buy cable and like 10 or 20 RJ45 heads and start making your own cables.

Oh yeah, the primary DNS part can be left 0.0.0.0, it doesn't matter as it only matter when connecting to a domain and not an ip address.

Last edited by YuseiFD,

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
What he mean't was between 2 pcs using crossover (as in one cable).

No, just don't use an electic cable lmao, some RG45 cable should do the trick, even phone cable would be usable in this situation but just make sure the heads are RJ45 (huge ones with 8 pins) and not RJ11 or RJ9 (phone tiny ones), if not, just buy cable and like 10 or 20 RJ45 heads and start making your own cables.

Oh yeah, the primary DNS part can be left 0.0.0.0, it doesn't matter as it only matter when connecting to a domain and not an ip address.
I know, and I said I used a straight through.

Reactions: YuseiFD

codemasterv

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The crossover is now taken care of by the network device. Its part of the stack.

A standard cat5/6 cable will work just fine now.

Reactions: WeedZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: https://youtu.be/e1G3aKJ3g18?feature=shared