OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
I'm mildly disappointed whenever someone in the ava/sig/wallpaper request thread asks something very simple and wastes an image editors valuable time. I'm talking about removing a background.
Believe me, this is very simple to do.

First, we need to give the image an alpha for transparency, as shown on this pic.
Simply right-click your layer and select "add alpha"

penismanasdu.png

Now we need to select the area that we want to be transparent, I prefer using the wand tool for this.

AESEX.png

Now the tricky part is adjusting the threshold, just play with it until you get your desired result.

After that, press the "Delete" button.

IMPORTANT:

Save as .gif or .png. .JPEG does not support transparency!

PENISQQQ.png

Photoshop
In Adobe Photoshop it might seem to be a little complicated, but trust me, even you can do it!

First step: convert the background image into layer.

PHOTOHNS.png

Pull out the magic wand tool, and adjust the tolerance.
Then delete the selected, it should now look like this:

pixgbtaemo.png

Save it as either .gif or .png, you decide.

Suggested by SoulSnatcher
Paint.Net

Open your image.
fH4pV.png

Pick the Magic Wand
pdn35icons.MagicWandToolIcon.png
, select the white areas and then press delete. The white areas should appear as a checkerboard.

vy4wL.png

The finished product.

Last edited by AlanJohn,

Shockwind

SHINEEE!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I already knew how to make a transparent background before you posted this kind of thread, but anyways.. nice guide!
biggrin.gif

AlanJohn

くたばれ
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
Shockwind said:
I already knew how to make a transparent background before you posted this kind of thread, but anyways.. nice guide!
biggrin.gif
It was made for Übern00bs, not for image editors.

Something easy like this is quite basic for image editors, im not surprised you dont know how to do that.

Reactions: JuanMena
D

Deleted_171835

kevan said:
You should throw in a Paint.net guide to make this complete.
Done.

[title:Paint.Net]
Open your image.
fH4pV.png

Pick the Magic Wand
pdn35icons.MagicWandToolIcon.png
, select the white areas and then press delete. The white areas should appear as a checkerboard.

vy4wL.png

The finished product.

I suggest you add this, AlanJohn.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One day, I'll actually correct my avatar to turn the white border transparent. For some reason, my brain wouldn't function the day I made it (probably was too stoned....weedies....something I don't much bother with these days) and I couldn't remember how to do it, but it occurred to me only a few days later (without looking up anything) how to do it. I've just been too lazy to bother. It looks good enough as is, IMO.

I use Paint Shop Pro 9, BTW. Yeah, probably not the best app to use (not to mention old and bought-out by Corel), but it's what I'm more or less familiar with and what I use for ALL my pics and gifs. Well technically, the gif editor was an addon to PSP9 called Animation Shop, but whatever.....I do alright for not reading any instructions and just muddling through stuff, just like how I used to do in the old Commodore 64 days. I'm a fart smeller....err....I mean smart feller. Heh.

But you know, it's cool that someone bothered to make a tutorial for that kind of stuff. Kudos for the effort.

Lemmy Koopa

M3 Perfect fanboy
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I've used Irfanview for years. It's not an image editor, but a viewer, and it works really neat for viewing and saving image files in certain ways. You can set transparencies with it, but you can't set alpha control. I find it very useful to adjust images on the fly, as Photoshop takes a while to load.

AlanJohn

くたばれ
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
Updated 03/11/2016.
Wow, I can't believe my grammar was that bad in 2011. I mostly rewrote the entire post so you can now actually read it. I'm amazed by the fact that nobody complained about the terrible wording when this was first posted.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
If you can add photofiltre studio to the tutorial, here's the following methods:

1- use the wand tool and colour tolerance like we do in other apps
2- (my personal method) make the full background in a high contrast colour (pink or green works well) and paint details where things clip, then make this colour transparent.
3- use the snipping tool, if anything else fails, or is too complicated to get in a plain colour. Polygonal snipping tool + smooth borders work well in that case.

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi: