Status
Not open for further replies.

How to play your GameCube games from SD or USB using DIOS-MIOS (Lite)

Clarification:
DML ONLY works from SD Card/SDHC Card, nothing else, no USB. There won't be a USB version someday.
So Yeah, this "Clarification" is incorrect, crediar was able to do it :D

What you'll need:
  • IF YOU WANT TO PLAY FROM SD
  • The Latest DIOS-MIOS (Lite) package from here (older versions here).
  • DML WAD Creator (for older versions)
  • IF YOU WANT TO PLAY FROM USB
  • FOR DML and DIOS-MIOS
  • GameCube ISO Compress, fstfix, DiscEX or GCReEX (your choice, read below first and decide what you want to use)
  • A WAD Manager (for example WAD Manager 1.7)
  • A SD Card or a USB Device (D'OH!)
  • Gamecube Controller and Memory Card
How to:
  1. If you have downloaded the newer version go to step 6, if you picked the older ones follow this.
  2. Extract the DML package in a folder with the same name as the package (for example DMLr13 for DMLr13.zip). If there is just a iosmodule.elf of the latest DML available then copy it into a new DML folder and rename it to DML.elf.
  3. If you already have a RVL-mios-v10.wad, copy it into the DML folder. Then the creator don't need to download the file.
  4. Extract the DML WAD Creator into the DML folder. Then run the "create_wad.bat" and type "DML" to create the DML wad, if you don't have the RVL-mios-v10.wad it will be downloaded.
  5. If the DML WAD Creator asks you which version you want to build type it in like '13' for DMLr13.
  6. Now let's convert some gamecube games! If you downloaded the new DML versions or DIOS-MIOS just start reading here.
  7. You'll need the gamecube games in iso or gcm format.
  8. If you want to use DiscEX and downloaded the older DML versions, the DiscEX files needs to be in the same folder as the DML WAD creator. Just open the WAD Creator, type "C" to enter the convert menu, drag and drop the game into it and say if you want to compress it or not. If you use the newer DML versions or DIOS-MIOS, open up a command prompt and enter "DiscEX -c gamename.iso" if you want compression, replace "gamename" with the name of your iso file. If you dont want compression just drag and drop the iso file into the DiscEX.exe. Mostly compression will work fine, some games need to stay uncompressed, see here.
  9. You can also use Gamecube ISO Compressor for the job, easiest way is there to just drag and drop your ISO file into the Compressor exe file. You can also just double click the exe file to see which options you can also use to compress the ISO files, they are more modes in it.
  10. If you have downloaded the new DML versions, you can also use GCReEx, there you can use "GCReEx.exe -x game.iso", this will create no new ISO file but a folder which contains the extracted files, this way saves most space on the sd card.
  11. There is also the possiblity to use fstfix instead to compress the games, use it like "fstfix game.iso" or "fstfix game.iso t" and drag and drop the resulting new iso in DiscEX. DiscEX will may stop at a certain percentage to copy the game, it will may also say the game is underdumped/overdumped. Both things come because the image haven't got the orignal size anymore, so you can ignore these messages.
  12. After using one of the above ways to convert your games, copy the newly created folder of the tool to sd:/games if you want to play from SD and to usb:/games if you want to play from USB.
On your Wii:
  1. Install the DML/DIOS-MIOS WAD with a WAD Manager, this will overwrite the current MIOS/cMIOS. Retail gamecube discs will still work since DMLr19. If you had a cMIOS installed before to play disc backups it wont be possible anymore until you re-install the cMIOS which will overwrite DML.
  2. You can play the games either with DIOS-MIOS Booter, NeoGamma, postLoader4, Wiiflow, USB Loader GX or Configurable USB Loader. Make sure you have a disc inserted, otherwise your Wii will simply reset if you try to play a game.
  3. The easiest one is DIOS-MIOS Booter, it works with all DML and DIOS-MIOS versions, just start it, select the game you want, set new options with the B button if you want, and launch the game.
  4. To boot games using Wiiflow switch the coverflow mode to the gameube coverflow mode by pressing the icon down-right near the home icon a few times until you see the games. You can also download covers for them in the settings, it's the gear icon down-left. Wiiflow also supports all DML and DIOS-MIOS versions with all options.
  5. To boot games using postLoader just press home to enter the menu, select "Switch to Game mode". In game mode just press up on the wiimote to enter the DML menu or press home, select "Game options" and then "Show DML menu". Then select the game you want to play.
  6. For USB Loader GX you just need to go to the display icon and select display gamecube games too, then you can set options in the menu and play them.
  7. In Configurable USB Loader they are just displayed together with the other wii games, there you can also set the options and launch them.
  8. The other ways described now are currently not optimized for the new DML versions, doesnt work with DIOS-MIOS and my not work properly.
  9. To boot games using NeoGamma go down to "Load Games from: " and select "Load GC Games via DML". Then go up and press A to search games. Select the game you want to play and press A to start it. NeoGamma doesnt have options to set for DML because its made for old DML versions.
  10. If you want to remove DML/DIOS-MIOS again either reinstall a cMIOS or the RVL-mios-v10.wad. If DML doesn't work for you make sure you have a clean BC, to get it run the "create_wad.bat" in the DML wad creator package again and type "BC". Then just install the RVL-BC-v6.wad on your wii and try it again.
Recommendations:
  • Format your SD Card to FAT16/FAT32 with 64KB cluster size to increase game speed
  • If you want to use DIOS-MIOS format it to FAT32 with 32KB cluster size, also make the FAT32 the first one, primary and active
  • If you want to use DML r21 I suggest the debug version since the regular version got small problems. Delete the DML.elf, rename the DMLdebug.elf to DML.elf and then create a new wad with it.
  • If you have a problem you can try to rename/delete the "saves" folder on your sd card to everything you want, that can may fix it.
  • Crediar created a small FAQ here that might help you as well with some general questions.
If you want to know game compatility check out the compatility list here:
http://wiki.gbatemp....patibility_List
http://crediar.no-ip.com/gc/
Don't forget to add the games you play to the list if they are missing ;)

That's it! If you have questions just ask here. Have fun playing your gamecube games from SD! :)

Ratmando

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

Need some help.

I installed DML WAD from the link in the opening post:

DIOS MIOS Lite 2.10 real NAND with DMToolbox (+source) Load games from SD

I've tried Neogamma, WiiFlow and Dios-Mios booter.

Every single time:

FATAL ERROR - APPLOADER SIZE IS ZERO.

I see many others have this problem, but not sure how to fix.

Thanks!

Ratmando

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, so tried loads of different loaders now.

DML just isn't working. FATAL ERROR - APPLOADER SIZE IS ZERO.

People say this is a result of using DML21? Can I install a lower version through WAD manager? Where can I get it?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Yep, so tried loads of different loaders now.

DML just isn't working. FATAL ERROR - APPLOADER SIZE IS ZERO.

People say this is a result of using DML21? Can I install a lower version through WAD manager? Where can I get it?
Nope, using a loader version that's too old or a DM(L) version that's too new USED to give that message but in later versions of DM(L) (like 2.10) it'll only happen for other reasons. It's probably a problem with how the SD card is formatted or that the disk image is damaged.

Make sure the SD card is formatted in FAT16 or FAT32 and that the cluster size it's formatted with is 64k OR SMALLER (larger than 64k cluster size will not work.)

As far as the damaged ISO option, there are some games that won't work well if you trim/shrink/compress them at all so you'll need to use the full sized disk image. You can do this by either using the RAW option in DMToolbox OR by just renaming the disk image to "game.iso" and replacing the existing file with the same name in the folder you have on your SD card.
(e.g. rename mario.iso -> game.iso (or mario.gcm -> game.iso) ... and put it in sd:/games/mario/game.iso where the broken disk image already is)

Ratmando

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks mate, will make sure everything is up to date.

I've downloaded DMLizard today so that should give me everything up to date?

And it has formatted my SD as well.

So I'll give that a go when I get the chance.

Will re-rip the games as well, and not shrink.

Will report back, hopefully working.

Ratmando

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Maxternal,

I appreciate your help, but unfortunately I am still experiencing the same error.

This is what I have tried so far:

- 3 different SD Cards (1GB, 4GB, 32GB). Formatted with FAT or FAT 32 with the correct cluster size.
- A multitude of different loaders. All the latest versions I could fine. Even downloading USBloaderGX from DMLizard.
- straight up iso files named game.iso in a folder with the name of the game.
- RAW conversion in DMtoolbox
- other conversion and shrinking software
- game files that I made from originals, game files I downloaded (to test).

I still get the same error. If I leave my retail Gamecube game in the slot, it just boots that game.

Really at a loss here? What else can I do?

PS. If I was to switch over the DM instead from USB...how does that work with my external HDD with just Wii games? Can I plug a USB thumb drive into the 2nd slot or? Can I still play all original games from disc with DM as I can with DML?

I'd much rather get DML working though, just don't know what else to do now!

Thanks again.

EDIT: Installed DM and the games booted first time from USB. But would still rather get DML working if possible. Although, if I can set up partitions on my 500GB, then USB would be fine as long as I can still play all original (Wii and GC) games as well.

Edit 2: I can only get GC games to boot from one device. A SD card in a USB adapter. I want them to boot from my main Wii Hard drive. I formatted it to FAT32 32k but now when I start a GC game, I just get a black screen, no Dios-Mios logo. I also tried partitioning the drive with a 20GB FAT32 32K partition, but this gave the same result. If I plug the other USB drive in, it works fine. What am I doing wrong with my main HDD? It is definitely formatted to FAT32 32K.

but2002

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I created an account just to ask this: I've got issues with DIOS MIOS (USB).

When it's loading a GCN ISO from the HDD one of three things tends to happen:
  • Black Screen
  • Wii powers off
  • Game Loads and will freeze randomly at any given time
  • Works just fine
Obviously the fourth option is the favorable option. :P
These seem to happen without any significant pattern, either it works or it doesn't. Is there some fix for these issues?
Thanks a bunch!

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Hi Maxternal,

I appreciate your help, but unfortunately I am still experiencing the same error.

This is what I have tried so far:

- 3 different SD Cards (1GB, 4GB, 32GB). Formatted with FAT or FAT 32 with the correct cluster size.
- A multitude of different loaders. All the latest versions I could fine. Even downloading USBloaderGX from DMLizard.
- straight up iso files named game.iso in a folder with the name of the game.
- RAW conversion in DMtoolbox
- other conversion and shrinking software
- game files that I made from originals, game files I downloaded (to test).

I still get the same error. If I leave my retail Gamecube game in the slot, it just boots that game.

Really at a loss here? What else can I do?

PS. If I was to switch over the DM instead from USB...how does that work with my external HDD with just Wii games? Can I plug a USB thumb drive into the 2nd slot or? Can I still play all original games from disc with DM as I can with DML?

I'd much rather get DML working though, just don't know what else to do now!

Thanks again.

EDIT: Installed DM and the games booted first time from USB. But would still rather get DML working if possible. Although, if I can set up partitions on my 500GB, then USB would be fine as long as I can still play all original (Wii and GC) games as well.

Edit 2: I can only get GC games to boot from one device. A SD card in a USB adapter. I want them to boot from my main Wii Hard drive. I formatted it to FAT32 32k but now when I start a GC game, I just get a black screen, no Dios-Mios logo. I also tried partitioning the drive with a 20GB FAT32 32K partition, but this gave the same result. If I plug the other USB drive in, it works fine. What am I doing wrong with my main HDD? It is definitely formatted to FAT32 32K.
Well, first off there ARE some SD cards and USB devices that are just not compatible with DM(L) ... (and it's never happened to me, personally, so I don't really know what error message to expect.) With the SD card you can always revert back to the last version of DML that didn't have that compatability issue but you'd lose some of the newer features that were added to it like the screenshot feature, multi-disk game support and compatibility with some games. You'd also possibly have to change some of the settings in your loaders to tell it you have an older version because there's a difference in how the loader tells DM(L) what game to play in newer versions.
To build it you'd use this ELF file http://www.mediafire.com/download/3qhzzbdm8aisab2/DML_r59_MOD_dmm.elf with this http://filetrip.net/wii-downloads/tools-utilities/download-dios-mios-lite-wad-creator-09-f31915.html to build the WAD file to install.

For a USB device, on the other hand, there's not much you can do about drive incompatibility. If you're lucky, though, it could be a problem with the partitions (since you did say that your format was correct.) It has to be the first/only partition on the drive (showing up as USB1 on WiiXplorer) and it has to use a MBR partition table (basic disk in windows ... NOT dynamic disk) it has to be a primary partition (not extended or virtual ... also not to be confused with "active") and the drive itself must use 512 byte sectors (this is permanent and can't be changed ... but ANY drive that's 2.5 TB or larger will have this and some smaller drives as well ... this will make the whole drive simply incompatible)

As far as the loaders, to work with newer versions of DM(L), GX 3.0 is too old and you'll need the latest beta version. CFG v70 is too old and you'll need the latest mod/beta version. WiiFlow 4.2 will work. NeoGamma will NOT work (no newer version available) DM(L) Booter's latest version should work fine. PostLoader's latest version sould work, too. I don't know of any more loaders that even claim to work with DM(L)

Other than that, not sure what to tell you.

Cawk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DMlizard won't let me optimize any games, and I'm not sure why. The file path doesn't show up when I drag and drop the isos into the program, and nothing happens when I type the file path myself too.

Anyone know what's up?

MathUser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I used this guide and keep getting the message on the dios mios loader screen: "Incorrect config version. Please update your loader". I tried several things, I changed the IOS version a couple times in WAD manager, I downloaded some GXLoader .dols and tried replacing various the one on the root of the SD card. I don't think the issue is the game, cause I successfully converted it using discex0.9 and it shows up on the list of games from the DML booter. Any cluse on how to fix this?

The wad manager linked here turns off the wiimotes after choosing a IOS, so I can't install any wads. I have mios dios installed but I can't tell if it's normal or lite. I think it's light cause the dml launcher recognizes the sd card.

ArrowheadVenom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, I've got this working using DIOS MIOS, WiiFlow, and DiscEx format games on a 16GB FAT32 flash drive.

However, the NMM setting is iffy. In Super Mario Sunshine, for example, I can usually save about 3-4 times in one playing, but at about the 5th it asks me to create a profile, as if it suddenly can't find the data it just saved. I check and it's all there, and a reboot gets it to load the last successful save, but I would like to figure out why it seems to have this problem.

Need for Speed Carbon, on the other hand, completely freezes upon trying to create save data of any kind, so I've only been able to play it without NMM turned on.

somewhereovertherainbow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Arrowhe

But I've 2 question:

what is this two wad files?

RVL-mios-v10.wad ?
RVL-BC-v6.wad ?

I think rvl-mios-v10 is the original wad on wii for playing gamecube discs
but what is bc v6 ???

ive no idea

edit: so i went searching on this...

apperently, in http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-p...s-from-sd-or-usb-using-dios-mios-lite.318585/

if you download DML WAD Creator you can create your own wads.. like BC and DML ...

i had to find some iosmodule.elf file on another location, http://code.google.com/p/dios-mios-lite-source-project/downloads/detail?name=iosmodule.elf - to be able to create RVL-mios-v10.wad and
DMLr13[MIOS-v10].wad ---
I understand now that...

RVL-mios-v10.wad and rvl-bc-v6 is required if you used an older diosmios before on wii ..
but by god was they had to dig up..

a. download DML WAD Creator
b. download http://code.google.com/p/dios-mios-lite-source-project/downloads/detail?name=iosmodule.elf - rename to DML.elf
c. use create_wad to make BC and DML

--

Cosmosis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
uhm there's nothing to download in the DML package.
i'm trying to run DML with Neogamma but after loading everything it just freezes my wii as though its turned off. there is a disc inserted

Bigfallout3fan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Clarification:
DML ONLY works from SD Card/SDHC Card, nothing else, no USB. There won't be a USB version someday.
So Yeah, this "Clarification" is incorrect, crediar was able to do it :D

What you'll need:
  • IF YOU WANT TO PLAY FROM SD
  • The Latest DIOS-MIOS (Lite) package from here (older versions here).
  • DML WAD Creator (for older versions)
  • IF YOU WANT TO PLAY FROM USB
  • FOR DML and DIOS-MIOS
  • GameCube ISO Compress, fstfix, DiscEX or GCReEX (your choice, read below first and decide what you want to use)
  • A WAD Manager (for example WAD Manager 1.7)
  • A SD Card or a USB Device (D'OH!)
  • Gamecube Controller and Memory Card
How to:
  1. If you have downloaded the newer version go to step 6, if you picked the older ones follow this.
  2. Extract the DML package in a folder with the same name as the package (for example DMLr13 for DMLr13.zip). If there is just a iosmodule.elf of the latest DML available then copy it into a new DML folder and rename it to DML.elf.
  3. If you already have a RVL-mios-v10.wad, copy it into the DML folder. Then the creator don't need to download the file.
  4. Extract the DML WAD Creator into the DML folder. Then run the "create_wad.bat" and type "DML" to create the DML wad, if you don't have the RVL-mios-v10.wad it will be downloaded.
  5. If the DML WAD Creator asks you which version you want to build type it in like '13' for DMLr13.
  6. Now let's convert some gamecube games! If you downloaded the new DML versions or DIOS-MIOS just start reading here.
  7. You'll need the gamecube games in iso or gcm format.
  8. If you want to use DiscEX and downloaded the older DML versions, the DiscEX files needs to be in the same folder as the DML WAD creator. Just open the WAD Creator, type "C" to enter the convert menu, drag and drop the game into it and say if you want to compress it or not. If you use the newer DML versions or DIOS-MIOS, open up a command prompt and enter "DiscEX -c gamename.iso" if you want compression, replace "gamename" with the name of your iso file. If you dont want compression just drag and drop the iso file into the DiscEX.exe. Mostly compression will work fine, some games need to stay uncompressed, see here.
  9. You can also use Gamecube ISO Compressor for the job, easiest way is there to just drag and drop your ISO file into the Compressor exe file. You can also just double click the exe file to see which options you can also use to compress the ISO files, they are more modes in it.
  10. If you have downloaded the new DML versions, you can also use GCReEx, there you can use "GCReEx.exe -x game.iso", this will create no new ISO file but a folder which contains the extracted files, this way saves most space on the sd card.
  11. There is also the possiblity to use fstfix instead to compress the games, use it like "fstfix game.iso" or "fstfix game.iso t" and drag and drop the resulting new iso in DiscEX. DiscEX will may stop at a certain percentage to copy the game, it will may also say the game is underdumped/overdumped. Both things come because the image haven't got the orignal size anymore, so you can ignore these messages.
  12. After using one of the above ways to convert your games, copy the newly created folder of the tool to sd:/games if you want to play from SD and to usb:/games if you want to play from USB.
On your Wii:
  1. Install the DML/DIOS-MIOS WAD with a WAD Manager, this will overwrite the current MIOS/cMIOS. Retail gamecube discs will still work since DMLr19. If you had a cMIOS installed before to play disc backups it wont be possible anymore until you re-install the cMIOS which will overwrite DML.
  2. You can play the games either with DIOS-MIOS Booter, NeoGamma, postLoader4, Wiiflow, USB Loader GX or Configurable USB Loader. Make sure you have a disc inserted, otherwise your Wii will simply reset if you try to play a game.
  3. The easiest one is DIOS-MIOS Booter, it works with all DML and DIOS-MIOS versions, just start it, select the game you want, set new options with the B button if you want, and launch the game.
  4. To boot games using Wiiflow switch the coverflow mode to the gameube coverflow mode by pressing the icon down-right near the home icon a few times until you see the games. You can also download covers for them in the settings, it's the gear icon down-left. Wiiflow also supports all DML and DIOS-MIOS versions with all options.
  5. To boot games using postLoader just press home to enter the menu, select "Switch to Game mode". In game mode just press up on the wiimote to enter the DML menu or press home, select "Game options" and then "Show DML menu". Then select the game you want to play.
  6. For USB Loader GX you just need to go to the display icon and select display gamecube games too, then you can set options in the menu and play them.
  7. In Configurable USB Loader they are just displayed together with the other wii games, there you can also set the options and launch them.
  8. The other ways described now are currently not optimized for the new DML versions, doesnt work with DIOS-MIOS and my not work properly.
  9. To boot games using NeoGamma go down to "Load Games from: " and select "Load GC Games via DML". Then go up and press A to search games. Select the game you want to play and press A to start it. NeoGamma doesnt have options to set for DML because its made for old DML versions.
  10. If you want to remove DML/DIOS-MIOS again either reinstall a cMIOS or the RVL-mios-v10.wad. If DML doesn't work for you make sure you have a clean BC, to get it run the "create_wad.bat" in the DML wad creator package again and type "BC". Then just install the RVL-BC-v6.wad on your wii and try it again.
Recommendations:
  • Format your SD Card to FAT16/FAT32 with 64KB cluster size to increase game speed
  • If you want to use DIOS-MIOS format it to FAT32 with 32KB cluster size, also make the FAT32 the first one, primary and active
  • If you want to use DML r21 I suggest the debug version since the regular version got small problems. Delete the DML.elf, rename the DMLdebug.elf to DML.elf and then create a new wad with it.
  • If you have a problem you can try to rename/delete the "saves" folder on your sd card to everything you want, that can may fix it.
  • Crediar created a small FAQ here that might help you as well with some general questions.
If you want to know game compatility check out the compatility list here:
http://wiki.gbatemp....patibility_List
http://crediar.no-ip.com/gc/
Don't forget to add the games you play to the list if they are missing ;)

That's it! If you have questions just ask here. Have fun playing your gamecube games from SD! :)
Does the gamecube iso have to be copied to the sd before playing? Because on every loader i use this happens and i find myself waiting for hours in order to play a game because of the slow copying speeds of wiiflow. Please Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs